McCord question | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

McCord question

I watched a bunch of OSU game this season. He wasn't the top QB in CFB by any means, but he was much more than merely being serviceable. From what I saw of him last year, I'd take him over Nassib any day if that helps.

One massive position group you didn’t mention, the OL.

They weren’t great and had been a question mark going into the season.

Doesn’t fully excuse McCord’s gaffes in total, but it can’t be ignored.

Also, Egbuka was injured most of this year.

And, they had the #2 RB go down for the year and Henderson was injured and missed time.

So you are talking a subpar OL (for OSU/team looking for a title standards) and an NFL level WR playing way below that due to injury and serious issues at RB.

I’m not saying McCord is all world. But they had significant issues on offense and it’s not like Kyle Shanahan is calling the plays for them.

I think you're overstating the offensive personnel challenges. Their O-Line was not great at run blocking, but they were solid to good at pass blocking. 3 of the 5 linemen plus their TE made all Big Ten teams. Their WR room is stacked and Egbuka played in 9 games including the Michigan game. Using OSU's personnel or Ryan Day as an excuse for McCord not being all world seems silly to me. As I said before, McCord is a good player, but he hasn't shown he is elite yet. Nothing wrong with that and he still may become an elite QB.

One massive position group you didn’t mention, the OL.

They weren’t great and had been a question mark going into the season.

Doesn’t fully excuse McCord’s gaffes in total, but it can’t be ignored.

Also, Egbuka was injured most of this year.

And, they had the #2 RB go down for the year and Henderson was injured and missed time.

So you are talking a subpar OL (for OSU/team looking for a title standards) and an NFL level WR playing way below that due to injury and serious issues at RB.

I’m not saying McCord is all world. But they had significant issues on offense and it’s not like Kyle Shanahan is calling the plays for them.

FWIW, PFF graded OSU as the 69th best pass blocking team. For comparison SU was 76th.

I think you're overstating the offensive personnel challenges. Their O-Line was not great at run blocking, but they were solid to good at pass blocking. 3 of the 5 linemen plus their TE made all Big Ten teams. Their WR room is stacked and Egbuka played in 9 games including the Michigan game. Using OSU's personnel or Ryan Day as an excuse for McCord not being all world seems silly to me. As I said before, McCord is a good player, but he hasn't shown he is elite yet. Nothing wrong with that and he still may become an elite QB.

Egbuka played in nine games and a lot of those he played injured. Hence his production going way down.

I don't disagree with the end assessment that McCrod is a good player but not elite, but the OL had legitimate issues during the season.

I'm not giving Ryan Day and the coaching staff a pass. Hartline was a first year OC. I know Hartline is supposedly an all world WR coach, but that doesn't make him an all world OC.

Again, I agree with your end assessment, I just think that the biggest knocks on McCord being that he may not start hot out of the gate and that he may not perform super well under pressure is just on him. The latter is literally any QB and the former has a lot to do with the first plays being scripted by an OC and HC.

Will be interesting if Davis lights it up in the bowl game

Egbuka played in nine games and a lot of those he played injured. Hence his production going way down.

I don't disagree with the end assessment that McCrod is a good player but not elite, but the OL had legitimate issues during the season.

I'm not giving Ryan Day and the coaching staff a pass. Hartline was a first year OC. I know Hartline is supposedly an all world WR coach, but that doesn't make him an all world OC.

Again, I agree with your end assessment, I just think that the biggest knocks on McCord being that he may not start hot out of the gate and that he may not perform super well under pressure is just on him. The latter is literally any QB and the former has a lot to do with the first plays being scripted by an OC and HC.

Agree to disagree that it wasn't largely his fault for 1st half struggles. I mean just look at his first few throws a few years ago when he started against Akron. That offense was great in the 1st half with Stroud and he air mailed the early throws. That isn't a scripting issue.

Edit: Also Ryan day still called the plays this year just like he has each year.

I live in Ohio, so I watched 4-5 of Ohio State’s games this year. Some of OSU’s frustrations with Kyle had to do with the QB’s that came before him.

Kyle took the reins from Stroud. But before Stroud was Fields, Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, and Pryor. These are al Herman trophy caliber or NFL draft pick guys.

McCord’s game has a lot of positives:

He is very accurate with the ball and possesses a pretty quick release. He is adept at reading defensive coverages and has a pretty good idea of where the ball needs to go. He actually has some mobility, but would never be confused for a Fields type back there.

He also has a few things that hold him back from being elite:

He doesn’t have a big live arm like some of the QBs before him at Ohio State. The ball doesn’t seem to drive off his arm and can have some issues fitting the ball into tighter windows. Defensive pressure can get to him more than other QBs with similar pedigree. Can be too conservative with his reads at times.

I do think he can a very good QB here, but the system needs to work a little more to his strengths. Beck’s offense would be a great example of that - quick decision pass and RPO game, with occasion play action shots down the field.

If we are asking him to drive the ball down the field (OSU does a lot) or fit the ball into seam route after seam route you might be setting him up for failure.

It looks like we are surrounding him with playmakers at the WR position, which is great. If we can shore up the OL I believe he will do well here.

However, I do want to temper expectations that he is going to be the greatest Syracuse QB since McNabb over 25 years ago. I don’t see that happening. But I do think he can have a Nassib senior type season for us.

GREAT OFFER!!

Interesting in what way lol?

Davis should take advantage of the ruling that NCAA can't deny transfer waivers and find somewhere else to go. He's not a D1 QB
Yep, and for all those clamoring for him, the board will have completely given up on him at QB with 12:45 to go in the first quarter on Thursday night. BRING In McPhail!!!

I mean maybe Davis can run the ball some but he certainly can't pass it

if Davis really an athlete playing QB then Wildcat it is.. If he is really playing QB first then run a QB offense.

Agree to disagree that it wasn't largely his fault for 1st half struggles. I mean just look at his first few throws a few years ago when he started against Akron. That offense was great in the 1st half with Stroud and he air mailed the early throws. That isn't a scripting issue.

Edit: Also Ryan day still called the plays this year just like he has each year.

McCord can throw better than 99% of all Syracuse QB’s all time. Some of you guys are nitpicking him at a top 5 draft pick level. This is the best pickup for Syracuse both figuratively and literally I can remember.

I have seen all of McCord's games since he went to Ohio State (and really all of their games the last 4 years). To give you some background on his skillset and why he left...

McCord in his 3rd year was in a QB battle with Devin Brown (2nd year) right up until the first game. There was a portion of the OSU fanbase who wanted Devin Brown to start because he provides a dual thread option as a runner. When the season started, McCord didn't exactly light things on fire vs. Indiana and as is often the case, the backup QB becomes a fan favorite.

In a vacuum, his stats look good, but he has a tendency to be streaky with his accuracy. He often starts slow in the first half, but then plays much better later in the game. He threw an early pick against Michigan that set them up with first and goal early in the game. He was also pretty bad against Notre Dame in the first half and then played great down the stretch. His arm strength is good and he can make every throw on the field, but he gets panicky when there is pressure.

At OSU he was throwing to Marvin Harrison Jr (Biletnikoff winner), Emeka Egbuka (projected 1-2 round), Julian Fleming (5 star WR recruit), Carnell Tate (5 star WR recruit) and had Treveyon Henderson (1-2 round RB) and Cade Stover (NFL TE) as his options. He had a solid year at OSU, but their standard is ridiculously high. He threw 17 less touchdowns than CJ did a year earlier. 11-1 is great, but he had a very talented roster. OSU hasn't lost more than 2 games in a decade. Losing to Michigan and calling it just another game didn't help his cause, but the fanbase was way over the top in criticism.

Kyle wanted to know that he would be the starting QB over Devin Brown next year and Ryan Day did not give that guarantee (even in the recent press conference before bowl game). I think it was probably smart on both sides to split as he only has 1 year of eligibility left and I don't blame him for seeking assurances that he would start.

Overall, he's a solid QB who can make every throw. He probably will improve with a year of starts under his belt as well. I just hope he gets good protection from the o-line next year. By all accounts, he is well liked by his teammates, but it does sound like his father can be a bit of a pain, but nothing that detracts from the culture of the team, etc.

Dead on.

I watch my share of OSU games as it's my 2nd favorite college team being born and originally from Cleveland. Earlier in the season, as you mention the Indiana game, etc., Herbstreit had commented similar to same. Some early injuries in the backfield also contributed to his apparent struggles too.

This article where Day comments (objectively) is on point with yours as well.

Head coach Ryan Day believes that when McCord is in the right rhythm, he's going to be at his best and take care of the football.

"The only thing I can recognize is when his feet are right and his eyes are right, that's when he's at his best," Day said at his weekly press conference Tuesday.

Day added that he tries to put McCord in the best situations to succeed, but there are occasions where McCord is forced to improvise, which has been a challenge.

"You try to find things that he's comfortable with but sometimes you can't always predict it the right way," Day said.

Better question: how does he compare to Tommy? They seem similar if you compare to Tommy’s tape at Illinois, yes?
Big difference is Tommy averaged barely over 10 ypc. McCord averaged 15. Granted some of that is attributable to the weapons at his disposal, but that’s a huge difference

McCord can throw better than 99% of all Syracuse QB’s all time. Some of you guys are nitpicking him at a top 5 draft pick level. This is the best pickup for Syracuse both figuratively and literally I can remember.

Don't think I am nitpicking as I have said repeatedly he is a good QB and with his experience has the potential to become very good. I was simply pointing out his strengths and weaknesses as I have seen every throw he has made in college.

Don't think I am nitpicking as I have said repeatedly he is a good QB and with his experience has the potential to become very good. I was simply pointing out his strengths and weaknesses as I have seen every throw he has made in college.

You aren't. Constructive criticisms here, at times, are covered in Orange colored glasses as seen fit.

Big difference is Tommy averaged barely over 10 ypc. McCord averaged 15. Granted some of that is attributable to the weapons at his disposal, but that’s a huge difference
I think the weapons at their disposal were a huge difference, so I’m not sure that’s a good barometer.

Maybe a better analysis would be how they move within the pocket. Does KMC extend plays by stepping up or sliding around to buy time? We know Tommy would rather run out of bounds than throw an incomplete.

And Ohio State fans are the most rational fans in college football.

Likely not any different than Orange fans if football hadn't been in tank for over two plus decades, etc.

It wasn't too long ago here, prior to our fall from grace in hoops, etc. where numerous folks truly believed that getting beat by the likes of UConn, St. Johns, etc. was "their Super bowl."

So yeah, most fans (especially the diehards and passionate ones) will rationalize anything as they see fit.

I cannot believe some of the comments this dude has had to deal with on his Instagram from OsU people. Actually disgusting adults say stuff the way they do. He seems like a great kid but good lord that fan base is pathetic
I live in Ohio. Heard he was getting death threats. Sad. It happens at a lot of schools too. Can't imagine thinking that way toward anyone, much less a 21 year old kid that plays a game. One of the few times they beat Michigan under Cooper in the shoe (97 or 98), the state police surrounded the goal posts to prevent the fans from ripping them down. They started tearing up chunks of sod and pelting the police with it for not allowing them to. Just pathetic, delusional fans.

I live in Ohio, so I watched 4-5 of Ohio State’s games this year. Some of OSU’s frustrations with Kyle had to do with the QB’s that came before him.

Kyle took the reins from Stroud. But before Stroud was Fields, Haskins, Barrett, Jones, Miller, and Pryor. These are al Herman trophy caliber or NFL draft pick guys.

McCord’s game has a lot of positives:

He is very accurate with the ball and possesses a pretty quick release. He is adept at reading defensive coverages and has a pretty good idea of where the ball needs to go. He actually has some mobility, but would never be confused for a Fields type back there.

He also has a few things that hold him back from being elite:

He doesn’t have a big live arm like some of the QBs before him at Ohio State. The ball doesn’t seem to drive off his arm and can have some issues fitting the ball into tighter windows. Defensive pressure can get to him more than other QBs with similar pedigree. Can be too conservative with his reads at times.

I do think he can a very good QB here, but the system needs to work a little more to his strengths. Beck’s offense would be a great example of that - quick decision pass and RPO game, with occasion play action shots down the field.

If we are asking him to drive the ball down the field (OSU does a lot) or fit the ball into seam route after seam route you might be setting him up for failure.

It looks like we are surrounding him with playmakers at the WR position, which is great. If we can shore up the OL I believe he will do well here.

However, I do want to temper expectations that he is going to be the greatest Syracuse QB since McNabb over 25 years ago. I don’t see that happening. But I do think he can have a Nassib senior type season for us.

GREAT OFFER!!
I think we're going to run a lot of play action and he's going to crush that aspect of the offense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom