McCullough to the NBA | Page 14 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

Hope it works out for him.
But this could be the worst career move since:

Brian Dunkelman (Remember him? Me neither.)left the job on American Idol co-hosting with Ryan Seacrest.

Jackie Martling rejected a reported $1 mil and left the Howard Stern Show.

Shuggie Otis turned down an offer to join the Rolling Stones as Keith Richards' guitar cohort. Enter Ronnie Wood.

bumped up a post from january 12th below (nba scouts on mcculough) this scenario wasn't totally unforeseen. in fact i don't know why so many are shocked.

He's not getting behind the wheel drunk. He's willing to take the $100k estimate you just gave him. He crushs that knee again and his basketball career is over.
Without basketball he is not sniffing $100k. Someone probably outlined that worst case scenario, and he said "I'll take it".

You know what is a huge risk. Playing for free when another knee injury ends your play for pay days.

Another knee injury doesn't end his pay for play days.

hoopsupstate said:
I think everyone is disappointed in CM's decision today, but the plan was for him to leave after one year. The only reason he was remotely thinking about staying was due to his injury. If there is a silver lining, it's the fact that Roberson got a chance to develop much more than he would have had CM hadn't got hurt. We are much further ahead than we thought one year ago at this time. The key now is we need Bryant to commit and we will all move on feeling good again. I actually feel better about Bryant today than a week ago. We just have to wait and see what happens. If he signs and then Battle later in the month, everyone will be talking what great shape we are in. This also clears up some of the scholarship issues for next year. Even though we assumed CM would leave next year, they know he's gone now. There's a little less uncertainity about scholarships at the end of next year.

Yep. And everyone knew he was one and done and nobody seemed to have a big problem with it. We're in the same position now about him as we were in the fall. Now everyone is burned.

but the big big difference between now and last fall is the aforementioned stripped schollies. a big bitter nasty pill to swallow. but hopefully it cures us and leads us on to future promise.

tbonezone said:
but the big big difference between now and last fall is the forementioned stripped schollies. big bitter pill to swallow. hope it cures us.

Stripped scholies that weren't his fault. He's doing exactly what he had said he was going to do. Leave after 1 year. Only difference is his injury. But that's completely his call. He's not screwing SU. He's doing what he told SU he was going to do.

At this point I wish we would just stop recruiting guys who are going to go to the pros early. Stick to guys who are going to be here 3 or 4 years. I would rather have a team full of players like Christmas or Cooney then I would with guys who are going to leave after a year or two.

Now get OFF my lawn!

Christmas was a McD's AA, so there certainly was the possibility he could have been a one and done when we were recruiting him.

We're in the same position now about him as we were in the fall...

i didn't say they (sanctions were his fault . nowhere was it even implied. i just assumed he was 1 and done. and now we have fewer options. cuz of penalties. but this ain't outta left field

Last edited:
Stripped scholies that weren't his fault. He's doing exactly what he had said he was going to do. Leave after 1 year. Only difference is his injury. But that's completely his call. He's not screwing SU. He's doing what he told SU he was going to do.
I guess it's because he underachieved (at least according to the expectations of most), and many wanted to see that potential achieved here, not in the NBA.

When he didn't quite live up to expectations, and then got hurt, expectations changed.

Yep. And everyone knew he was one and done and nobody seemed to have a big problem with it. We're in the same position now about him as we were in the fall. Now everyone is burned.

Yea I think it's kinda absurd to hate on him for leaving, it's his life he if wants to make mistakes then whatever let him learn from them. It's just comical that we are at a point where kids who can't play meaningful minutes in college can believe that they are ready for pro ball. FWIW I live in Europe and he couldn't even dominate here yet, much less the nba.

unfortunately for all his god given talent chris mccullough ain't even gonna be a blip on the syracuse basketball history radar. but he's gotta do what he gotta do.

Hope it works out for him.
But this could be the worst career move since:

Brian Dunkelman (Remember him? Me neither.)left the job on American Idol co-hosting with Ryan Seacrest.

Jackie Martling rejected a reported $1 mil and left the Howard Stern Show.

Shuggie Otis turned down an offer to join the Rolling Stones as Keith Richards' guitar cohort. Enter Ronnie Wood.
You're a real drama queen.

Man, 10 pages on a guy who played 16 games going 9 and 7. Can you tell there's a whole lot of hurtin' goin' down here? After the near disaster that was this season, seems McCullough's injury was perversely what made us think he was returning, which would be one of the few positives to take us forward. Now that's toast. I've already discounted Bryant. And even on the outside chance he does come, if he's that good he'll be gone this time next year as well. The only way this gets any more disappointing is if Emmert says "Stuff your appeals." :noidea:

There's nothing any of us can do about it. But, this too shall pass. Go Orange.

At this point I wish we would just stop recruiting guys who are going to go to the pros early. Stick to guys who are going to be here 3 or 4 years. I would rather have a team full of players like Christmas or Cooney then I would with guys who are going to leave after a year or two.

Now get OFF my lawn!

Hahaha ok sounds fun, let's become Boston College. Wow.

When he didn't quite live up to expectations, and then got hurt, expectations changed.

If the rules didn't change this kid never would have stepped on campus. This was a 1 year deal from the moment we started recruiting him. He knew it, and the staff knew it. The injury didn't change a thing. It has nothing to do with being ready. It's about getting paid. I just don't get how people continue to be surprised by this stuff. You said the same thing about Jerami Grant last year. He went on to get picked in the 2nd round, but signed a 3 year contract worth 2.7m. Ya what a mistake he made.

I blame this on the coaching staff.

If we're going to get a one-and-done, can't we get a good one? This guy was overrated ever since he decided he didn't want to work after his 16th birthday.

If the rules didn't change this kid never would have stepped on campus. This was a 1 year deal from the moment we started recruiting him. He knew it, and the staff knew it. The injury didn't change a thing. It has nothing to do with being ready. It's about getting paid. I just don't get how people continue to be surprised by this stuff. You said the same thing about Jerami Grant last year. He went on to get picked in the 2nd round, but signed a 3 year contract worth 2.7m. Ya what a mistake he made.

Grant is totally different. He played and played well for SU.

McCullough played, and played poorly for SU. At least I thought he did. And the 25% shooting over his last 8 games backs me up.

Its not about the first contract, its about longterm security. Ya if your goal is just to get paid, thats one thing, but whatever happened to making yourself into the best player that you can be, and maximize your earning potential.

Grant is totally different. He played and played well for SU.

McCullough played, and played poorly for SU. At least I thought he did. And the 25% shooting over his last 8 games backs me up.

And McCollough is still projected to go in the same spot as Grant did, so what's the difference? To these kids it's not about getting to college, it's about getting to the league, and getting paid. If we're looking from a fan perspective sure he should come back, but if we are looking from the players perspective i'm gone.

Its not about the first contract, its about longterm security. Ya if your goal is just to get paid, thats one thing, but whatever happened to making yourself into the best player that you can be, and maximize your earning potential.

He's 1 year closer to his 2nd contract, and had been playing pretty damn well. And why can't he get better in the NBA when your full time job is to play basketball, hire personal strength coaches, and whatever else you need to improve your game. He's been playing 20+ minutes a game in the NBA, you don't think he's getting better playing in the pros?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom