McCullough to the NBA | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

Our recruiting philosophy seems to be flawed lately. We seem to end up with the guys just good enough to get drafted after 1 or 2 years, but not good enough to carry a team to a final 4 (MCW exception noted). Would it be better to go after the guys who are 1 and done but certain top 5 picks (which we will rarely get), or go after guys who are 3 or 4 year players (we can get any of these guys), instead of these almost great/good enough to be drafted/really could use 1 more year type of guys?

In other words our recruiting is both not quite good enough but also a little too good at the same time.

Maybe I am crazy.:bat:

Just to add on to that last post. Kentucky and Duke have those 1 and done great players while MSU and Wisc have those 3-4 year players and it worked for them this year.

If he goes, i'd much rather start Richardson over Joseph. Run Cooney-Richardson up top and G-Diagne-Roberson on the backline. Richardson's length up top will help mask the lack of size on the backline and gives us three-3 point shooters so Roberson can work mid-range in and Diagne on the block. Then bring in Joseph as sixth man who is able to run point, something we don't have if he starts since our only two pg's will be in the starting lineup and DC2 as backup C. Not really sure who else gets playing time? Maybe Franklin Howard as a G clone 2/3? Chino as emergency backup in DC2 gets hobbled up. That's about it, Lydon probably isn't ready to contribute just yet. Honestly, if this is the lineup we roll with, we could do some damage. Probably not National Champs unless G-Cooney-Richardson become a triumverate of 3 point marksmen, which is possible, but still a very solid Top 20 team, imo.

Haha, not even close to Nat'l Champs.

A team without CMc (and if Bryant doesn't come) isn't even a tourney team, let alone in discussion for the NC.

Our recruiting philosophy seems to be flawed lately. We seem to end up with the guys just good enough to get drafted after 1 or 2 years, but not good enough to carry a team to a final 4 (MCW exception noted). Would it be better to go after the guys who are 1 and done but certain top 5 picks (which we will rarely get), or go after guys who are 3 or 4 year players (we can get any of these guys), instead of these almost great/good enough to be drafted/really could use 1 more year type of guys?

In other words our recruiting is both not quite good enough but also a little too good at the same time.

Maybe I am crazy.:bat:

I don't think the guys we have recruited were expected to leave after a year or two, except McCullough. There's no way JB and the staff thought Ennis would be a one and done.

The problem with our recruiting is we have added too many project kids, too many kids that aren't ready to contribute early and not enough players who can actually play ball. It's all about upside and length with this program it seems. The lack of offensive skills is alarming and ridiculous. I've never seen so many players that can barely dribble, can't shoot and have no real moves at this level, yet with the zone and a few players who can play, we compete at a high level. When those players that can play leave early, we're stuck.

Yeah, I guess if he's concerned about getting injured, he probably just shouldn't play. At all. :noidea:
And what about if he is concerned about money. If he gets injured again while playing for free, it will be very difficult for him to get paid. So I don't begrudge the guy for thinking long and hard about his options.

Haha, not even close to Nat'l Champs.

A team without CMc (and if Bryant doesn't come) isn't even a tourney team, let alone in discussion for the NC.
I think we're a tourney team in that scenario. Defense will be ok, not great but we will have 3 - 3 point shooters, a junior Roberson with two potentially talented Centers. That's a tourney team imo.

Reminds me a bit of Dontae Green. Back in the day, we used to call this type of kid a "weak sister". Not too bright, lacks loyalty to the university who rehabbed him, and thinks of self before giving his TEAM and TEAMMATES one full year's contribution. I fear he won't last very long wherever he goes.
"Not too bright". Pot calling the kettle black.

I think we're a tourney team in that scenario. Defense will be ok, not great but we will have 3 - 3 point shooters, a junior Roberson with two potentially talented Centers. That's a tourney team imo.

In theory yes. However, many recruits come here with shooter reputations and it turns out to be brick city. ;) Kidding...somewhat.

We recruited Chino to get Bryant. So now no Bryant

LIKE 1
UNLIKE 23457

Last edited:
to class. every day.

If he's really NBA material a couple of years of college will not hurt his chances.

I hope he doesn't go but he's hardly play for us. It's not like Jerami Grant leaving. He's was awesome to watch. CMac we a hardly got a chance to know him. I hope we get Bryant to commit.

Omg there would be forum warfare. Informal alliances would be formed. Especially on off topics posts. Let's doi it!

They moderators are very conservative kid. Do not hold your breath on anything concerning the forum.

So if McG leaves, that gets us one step closer to Bryant. Fine by me

FortyFourCT said:
Our recruiting philosophy seems to be flawed lately. We seem to end up with the guys just good enough to get drafted after 1 or 2 years, but not good enough to carry a team to a final 4 (MCW exception noted). Would it be better to go after the guys who are 1 and done but certain top 5 picks (which we will rarely get), or go after guys who are 3 or 4 year players (we can get any of these guys), instead of these almost great/good enough to be drafted/really could use 1 more year type of guys? In other words our recruiting is both not quite good enough but also a little too good at the same time. Maybe I am crazy.:bat:

To be honest, we have trouble recruiting kids who are expected to be top 5-10 picks. As well as we recruit, most of those kids go to Kentucky, Duke, etc.

We seem to get the next tier of players and, yes, many of them still have aspirations of leaving early...yet many of them aren't good enough to carry a team as a freshman. Melo was the exception.

jekelish said:
Well, then... 583440717051273216

He's put in his half season.

We can start our punishment next year.

That's sickening. He knows he won't be able to workout for teams and he's still considering leaving? If we lose him, Bryant, and Battle, the last years of JB's tenure are pretty much viewed as a disaster unless we make an Elite 8 or something of that caliber.

That's sickening. He knows he won't be able to workout for teams and he's still considering leaving? If we lose him, Bryant, and Battle, the last years of JB's tenure are pretty much viewed as a disaster unless we make an Elite 8 or something of that caliber.
I don't know where the Battle stuff is coming from. We're still months and months away from anything concrete with him (in terms of being able to actually sign).

Bryant? He sounds like he wants to get away from home, but we haven't lost that battle, either. But the defeatist attitude regarding Battle is just baffling to me.

jekelish said:
I don't know where the Battle stuff is coming from. We're still months and months away from anything concrete with him (in terms of being able to actually sign). Bryant? He sounds like he wants to get away from home, but we haven't lost that battle, either. But the defeatist attitude regarding Battle is just baffling to me.

I think people are just freaking out because he keeps adding schools, and not just any schools.

Understand the paranoia.

Briancuse said:
Where does Chris realistically think he is going to be drafted?

I wouldn't touch him.

This is a deep draft.

He's a second round pick.