McCullough to the NBA | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

McCullough to the NBA

This is zero surprise as soon as that article came out a few days ago he was as good as gone. What a terrible decision, he may go undrafted.

Much ado about nothing. Turns out CMc had a smidgen more impact on the program than Winfred Walton.

Pretty amazing. "The Beast" was one of our more highly rated recruits in years, and he barely had an impact as circumstances would have it.

I wish him the best, but feel practically zero connection to him with our program.

Perhaps a team like Boston or Philly who has excess 1st round picks would use one on him figuring with the injury they can stash him for a season without eating up a roster spot. That could work out well for him if he got healthy and had a good season in D-League. Contract would probably have team options to extend.

I think he could be a long time NBA player with another 30lbs of muscle and improved skills which is going to happen.

Maybe I'm alone but I don't even feel one way or the other about him leaving. He barely played at all so it's almost as if he never even came here. Players declaring early when it's debatable whether or not they should is pretty much the SOP the past couple of seasons for our team. Frustrating but it happens. Best of luck to Chris.

JeremyCuse said:
This is zero surprise as soon as that article came out a few days ago he was as good as gone. What a terrible decision, he may go undrafted.

And anyone who drafts him is nuts.

Perhaps a team like Boston or Philly who has excess 1st round picks would use one on him figuring with the injury they can stash him for a season without eating up a roster spot. That could work out well for him if he got healthy and had a good season in D-League. Contract would probably have team options to extend.

I think he could be a long time NBA player with another 30lbs of muscle and improved skills which is going to happen.

I keep seeing "stash" thrown about, but isn't that usually applied to players who don't join the roster? As in, the team drafts a euro who isn't going to come to the NBA right away. The drafting team gets the player's rights, but obviously the player doesn't take up a roster spot or any salary cap money, since they're not in the NBA. And then when they come to the NBA, the team that drafted them has the rights.

In this situation, McCullough would be joining the team, and they'd be obligated to pay him salary. Now, there might be some kind of injury waiver in terms of how his contract would impact the team's salary cap [I think there was a provision like that applied to Embiid last year for the 76ers, to give them some relief since he was injured]. But that isn't a "stash" -- it would just be drafting a player.

I keep seeing "stash" thrown about, but isn't that usually applied to players who don't join the roster? As in, the team drafts a euro who isn't going to come to the NBA right away. The drafting team gets the player's rights, but obviously the player doesn't take up a roster spot or any salary cap money, since they're not in the NBA. And then when they come to the NBA, the team that drafted them has the rights.

In this situation, McCullough would be joining the team, and they'd be obligated to pay him salary. Now, there might be some kind of injury waiver in terms of how his contract would impact the team's salary cap [I think there was a provision like that applied to Embiid last year for the 76ers, to give them some relief since he was injured]. But that isn't a "stash" -- it would just be drafting a player.

I just meant he wouldn't take up a roster spot. Certainly they would have to pay him and they would also want to see what he could do in D-league to decide on what to do with him for the future.

I think he makes a lot of sense for good teams, at the end of the first round. Chances are, they aren't getting much there anyway. A 6-10 big guy with athleticism might not be a bad gamble to take for a Chicago, an OKC, a Clippers, a Cleveland, etc. who wouldn't need contributions from a guy for several years, and could afford to let him develop.

Why? He is still everything he was before he came here, his injury isn't ending his career. He's still a tall athletic guy with a jumper with a ton of upside.

I don't think this was the best move for him, but to make a blanket statement that anybody who drafts him is nuts is nuts within itself.

RF2044 said:
I think he makes a lot of sense for good teams, at the end of the first round. Chances are, they aren't getting much there anyway. A 6-10 big guy with athleticism might not be a bad gamble to take for a Chicago, an OKC, a Clippers, a Cleveland, etc. who wouldn't need contributions from a guy for several years, and could afford to let him develop.

I wish the best for Chris, but I don't see a good ending.

Rocco said:
Come on down Thomas Bryant!

We are at 10 now. So now it's up to the appeals process what we can do. This changes the dynamics.

In fairness, you're in no position to make the judgement that this move is best for him and his family and the judgement that resentment wouldn't be warranted.

What?!? I am certainly not, I thought it was obvious but the intent was to express the hope that folks respect his decision as to what he believes is best for him and his family. I am not blind to the facts that, in the abstract, make this decision seem questionable and am certainly not saying he made the right decision. The point was I don't know and neither do you, nor could we possibly know, as its a personal and not a pure basketball decision. In the next few days/weeks/months/years there will be countless emails mocking the decision and even some who take pleasure of Chris plays in Europe next year. And that is really inappropriate and insensitive in my view. We all need to live our own lives and decide what is best for us and our family. Really not a very controversial position but one that 20% of posters seem to find elusive.

Just another example of a kid who likely wouldn't have gone to college in the first place if he didn't have to. All the more reason to change the rule so players can go straight out of hs if they want to (as Pitino has said) but once in college they have to stay for at least two years.

I wonder if McC's handlers have considered the very real possibility that he'll go undrafted no matter what a few scouts say now. What happens to him then, when no team is willing to pick him up as a free agent while he's rehabbing all on his own? If he can't go full speed until November then he won't regain his quickness and explosiveness until March or April, which would mean he's useless to pick up as a free agent. If the family's making the decision based on what an agent is telling them about where he'll go in the draft, good luck on that one.

What?!? I am certainly not, I thought it was obvious but the intent was to express the hope that folks respect his decision as to what he believes is best for him and his family. I am not blind to the facts that, in the abstract, make this decision seem questionable and am certainly not saying he made the right decision. The point was I don't know and neither do you, nor could we possibly know, as its a personal and not a pure basketball decision. In the next few days/weeks/months/years there will be countless emails mocking the decision and even some who take pleasure of Chris plays in Europe next year. And that is really inappropriate and insensitive in my view. We all need to live our own lives and decide what is best for us and our family. Really not a very controversial position but one that 20% of posters seem to find elusive.

I knew what your intent was. My point is that I don't like the message that it's not okay to harbor resentment or criticize the decision. I personally feel it is a bad decision from every angle and any resentment is justified. Am I going to attack him for making the decision? No. But I certainly don't have to be okay with the fact that he bolted on the fanbase for what would appear to be selfish reasons. Yes, he owes nothing to us, but then we owe nothing to him either.

manleyzoo said:
Just another example of a kid who likely wouldn't have gone to college in the first place if he didn't have to. All the more reason to change the rule so players can go straight out of hs if they want to (as Pitino has said) but once in college they have to stay for at least two years. I wonder if McC's handlers have considered the very real possibility that he'll go undrafted no matter what a few scouts say now. What happens to him then, when no team is willing to pick him up as a free agent while he's rehabbing all on his own? If he can't go full speed until November then he won't regain his quickness and explosiveness until March or April, which would mean he's useless to pick up as a free agent. If the family's making the decision based on what an agent is telling them about where he'll go in the draft, good luck on that one.

He smells money. He's not thinking beyond a year of his life. He has a kid in the way. Breaking bad.

Completely agree. He's the perfect kind of lotto ticket for a good team like the Spurs or Warriors at the end of the 1st round, where he can go to a deep team with no pressure to play in year 1 and can rehab & learn the game. In 2 years, they might end up with the kind of player that they have no other way of obtaining with a pick in the late 20s.

I knew what your intent was. My point is that I don't like the message that it's not okay to harbor resentment or criticize the decision. I personally feel it is a bad decision from every angle and any resentment is justified. Am I going to attack him for making the decision? No. But I certainly don't have to be okay with the fact that he bolted on the fanbase for what would appear to be selfish reasons. Yes, he owes nothing to us, but then we owe nothing to him either.

Serenity now.

He averaged 3.0 assists per game and 2.5 turnovers per game. That is bad from almost any position let alone a guard spot, let alone the primary ball handlers spot. To me he looks like a 2 guard trapped in a college point guards body. Unless he turns into a protector of the ball like Ennis I doubt he is every in consideration for a top 15-20 pick.
well he'd look good starting for us, wouldn't her?