McDonald demoted | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald demoted

Does Scott Shafer strike you as the kind of guy that would throw a friend under the bus because he was feeling heat in the media?

If I am the CEO of a pencil company, and the guy who is in charge of putting erasers on the pencils is forgetting to put actual erasers on the pencils we are shipping, what am I as a CEO supposed to do? Keep him around because we are friends and lose my job? Risk looking like a moron becuase a pencil has two functions, lead to write with and eraser to erase.

This is business. College Football is BIG BUSINESS. No hard feelings man, we're all big boys. We have two TD passes. One by our punter. Our 3rd TD pass was ABOUT TO BE ANOTHER TRICK PLAY. We are the only team in the country that has to run fake FG, punts etc to punch one in the endzone. A change HAD to be made. Now, midseason, thats debatable. Lucky enought, I am not paid to make those decisions.

Where/how? I don't see it on his Twitter, but then I also haven't looked at any Mink articles since the game so I could have missed it.
radio. Goz's show: "my sources jive with what you're hearing"

If I am the CEO of a pencil company, and the guy who is in charge of putting erasers on the pencils is forgetting to put actual erasers on the pencils we are shipping, what am I as a CEO supposed to do? Keep him around because we are friends and lose my job? Risk looking like a moron becuase a pencil has two functions, lead to write with and eraser to erase.

This is business. College Football is BIG BUSINESS. No hard feelings man, we're all big boys. We have two TD passes. One by our punter. Our 3rd TD pass was ABOUT TO BE ANOTHER TRICK PLAY. We are the only team in the country that has to run fake FG, punts etc to punch one in the endzone. A change HAD to be made. Now, midseason, thats debatable. Lucky enought, I am not paid to make those decisions.

I think behind the scenes GMC knows full well he has a disaster on his hands. They all know the business, the higher up you go the more you will have to answer for. I hope they put GMC or Lester down on the sidelines this week

Shafer just got a vote of confidence from me. MacDonald failed miserably, and not just this year. The offense last year was god-awful. I applaud Shafer for taking action and not wasting the rest of the season on a coordinator who wasn't up to the job. Are there downsides to this decision? Absolutely, and there always are. SU will probably lose some recuits, but that's a price you pay.

This is the same thing people were complaining about during the P&D Era. A lot of people thought Deleone was a big problem and P might have bought more time had he canned DeLeone. P didn't agree and stayed loyal to his friend to the end. Shafer apparently has taken a different approach. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong. But we've been in this position before and now we're going a different route.

Agree. There was zero reason for Hunt to be back in that game on Friday night. Whoever made that decision needs to be held accountable.

I've heard that everyone at SU is on pins and needles with Syverud. People have told me that he has let several people go since last Spring, so staff are pretty freaked out, including those in the SUAD.

This is the same thing people were complaining about during the P&D Era. A lot of people thought Deleone was a big problem and P might have bought more time had he canned DeLeone. P didn't agree and stayed loyal to his friend to the end. Shafer apparently has taken a different approach. I'm not saying either approach is right or wrong. But we've been in this position before and now we're going a different route.
i thought deleone was a problem, i think mcdonald is a horrendous embarrassment

Who knows who the leak was- it could have been a just recently demoted and disgruntled employee who tweets back at fans and uses colorful language in inappropriate situations for all we know- as far as I'm concerned, if true, McDonald did this to himself. Nobody was expecting miracles out of the guy but kicking field goals doesn't cut it in D-1 football, and calling for a pitch out of the gun in your end zone as your signature play is amateurish. I hate to see anyone get fired in any walk of life but this offense was ordinary, not well executed, and the play calling was suspect. In short, can anyone honestly say McDonald maximized the talent we do have? This move should surprise no one- least of all McDonald.

wow, im stunned.

i guess you make the move before fla st, because making it after could look a little foolish.

mcdonald certainly has some issues, but his on field leader wasnt getting it done either.

15 years after mcnabb and STILL no QB.

despite the S or TE jokes, i think hunt was giving us the best chance to see Ws, this is going to get interesting for sure.

wow, im stunned.

i guess you make the move before fla st, because making it after could look a little foolish.

mcdonald certainly has some issues, but his on field leader wasnt getting it done either.

despite the S or TE jokes, i think hunt was giving us the best chance to see Ws, this is going to get interesting for sure.
The root of the entire freaking problem. At this point I would take 2 QB's every year, give them 3 years max to show something (even if in practice - not just "flashes", but bona fide stellar play), and if it's clear they aren't the answer, show them the door. This problem has to be fixed now or we aren't going anywhere as a program. We can't go through two-year training cycles - starting from sophomore year (!) - to get one good year out of guys.

Makes me want to bang my goddam head into the wall.

I never blamed Hunt as much as the coaches. Shafer is admitting McDonald is in over his head.
Thru 18 games we only had good offensive scoring outputs in 4 of 18 games. Wagner, Tulane, Boston College, Central Michigan. That is not good enough for our program to win games. Our defense carried us to a bowl last year and I give Shafer some credit for making a change and will give him some rope as his PC on Friday night really rattled my confidence in him. We don't need to win all the games but if the offense looks better tuned on the field I will feel better for next year.

I previously posted that my biggest concern was Shafer being able to fire somebody he hired. I guess I got my answer! I went through five mergers in 18 years and have unfortunately had to fire hundreds of people I can tell you there is never a good time and keeping secrets is the worst thing you can do. Your people deserve better.
HCSS lost confidence in OCGM and had to be decisive. He knows season is gone.

What I'm doing to the 19 point line for Saturday right now:
td3rd8r.gif

You need to be doing that to some 5-star recruits instead.

Crusty said:
I previously posted that my biggest concern was Shafer being able to fire somebody he hired. I guess I got my answer! I went through five mergers in 18 years and have unfortunately had to fire hundreds of people I can tell you there is never a good time and keeping secrets is the worst thing you can do. Your people deserve better. HCSS lost confidence in OCGM and had to be decisive. He knows season is gone.

Agree on everything - but don't think the season is gone. OL, RB, and D vs the "peer schools" left on our schedule? Not unsalvageable. It will depend on.. Wait for it... Semi-decent QB play.

Big concern for me...If Long has potential do we throw him into the disaster that is likely Saturday ?????? Could lose confidence before he gets a chance.

The root of the entire freaking problem. At this point I would take 2 QB's every year, give them 3 years max to show something (even if in practice - not just "flashes", but bona fide stellar play), and if it's clear they aren't the answer, show them the door. This problem has to be fixed now or we aren't going anywhere as a program. We can't go through two-year training cycles - starting from sophomore year (!) - to get one good year out of guys.

Well, no QB for the most part, but I think we're forgetting a certain kid who set pretty much every SU passing record and is on an NFL roster right now. I'd happily take him back at SU right now.

My hope is that as the season drags on, our peer opponents run into injury trouble as well and we are able to capitalize because we've had more time to adjust.

That's all I got.

:noidea:

Well, no QB for the most part, but I think we're forgetting a certain kid who set pretty much every SU passing record and is on an NFL roster right now. I'd happily take him back at SU right now.
Yeah, I thought about that while posting. Very good senior year, but I wanted to highlight the long painful development process we had to go through. It looked like we were on the same course with Hunt, and that cycle won't cut it any more.

But that wasn't the premise I was responding to.

You said he was taking action because of pressure from the media.

wow, im stunned.

Hunt's regression this season has been shocking. This kid closed last season on a strong note, by all accounts had a good off-season, and had the benefit of a bunch of returning starters. 1 TD in 5 games is just absurd. What happened with this kid?

I previously posted that my biggest concern was Shafer being able to fire somebody he hired. I guess I got my answer! I went through five mergers in 18 years and have unfortunately had to fire hundreds of people I can tell you there is never a good time and keeping secrets is the worst thing you can do. Your people deserve better.
HCSS lost confidence in OCGM and had to be decisive. He knows season is gone.
its time, was a decisive move that you have to love. Keeps people paying attention and maybe even going to the games by being proactive like this. Myself for example. I committed a while ago to being the chef at the FINE MESS tailgate but was ready to leave right after the tailgate and not even go in. I can't handle this anymore the feeling of complete and utter helplessness of something I care(d) passionately about watching the definition of insanity start to play out again and again.

These bits of news changes my head quite a bit and can't imagine I'm the only one, it fires me up to be supportive of all things orange again when my enthusiasm/hope had been completely shot. Theres a reason to go in the game now and start that likely delusional hope that (once again) things can get righted. Wow never expected something like this here. Love it.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom