McDonald to Cohen | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald to Cohen

I'm surprised Carlson came back to Syracuse in the first place (or even that he's still alive), but given how the business is, I guess any job is a good job, even for a company that doesn't want to print newspapers anymore. He hated the sports department back when he wrote at the DO and am not surprised Cohen has that same attitude, too. It's seems like, as SU grads, they feel the need to go out of their way to prove that they're not "homers," hence the coverage. There's always been a contentious relationship between the SUAD and the DO so this isn't all that surprising.

Waters is the only decent reporter left there...he's honestly too good of a reporter for that paper/website but understand why he's stayed when he could have left for better jobs.

Cohen stated "better then" and he is a reporter? Third graders are taught the difference between "then" and "than". One doesn't realize how uneducated they sound when they misuse those words. Unfortunately, many people do this.

Go Cuse!

I have never read it..that is the one thing people at his company use as a reference as to why he should have that job. Im friends with ( used to be haha) someone who is in charge of the sports part of syracuse.com and she went crazy on me when i told her Rahme should never have been passed over. She was trying to sell cohen and the other morons to me. I told her they will regret these hires BIGTIME..she laughed at me..im the one laughing now.

You have got to be shtting me!!! Hate to say it but your former friend is one big dumb ass... She should be in charge of sports at the Pennysaver.

The point is that the people over there just dont care. They just really, truly do not care anymore. Their main focus is to get as many trolls and racists to comment on every poorly written "piece" on that website. Its nothing more than an abomination. Its on the same level as a yahoo chat board now.

Legend: you write with passion! Just do it!

I just read through the Q & A and wonder if this answer was really necessary.

spacer.gif

[Comment From EthanEthan: ]
What is the deal with Funderburk? Is not giving effort, or not the player we thought?

Friday August 16, 2013 12:13 Ethan

12:14
phpOhITfL2013-02-27-mg-cohen11A.JPG
spacer.gif

Michael Cohen:
Oh, Quinta. This one still remains a puzzle for me. He seems to work hard in practice and never appears to be dogging it, but for some reason the total package has never clicked for him. The more I watch practice the more I think he just isn't the player college coaches thought he was coming out of high school.

And as soon as Cohen says this Quinta starts yesterdays scrimmage with the 2's

Unfortunately my understanding is that Cohen was not interested in any advice or direction in how to do the job.

I met Greg Bishop (NY Times) at Jets camp a few years ago before he was moved to a general sports reporter position. He told he interned at the P-S and one of their editors helped him and was very important in his development as a writer. My point is a young journo has to be willing to listen and not think he's "bigger" than anybody else. Humility is the universal tool of journalism. When you lose that you become like every hackneyed writer people hate.

IT is really pretty simple. Cohen just doesnt have it. He is not talented. I doubt he last the year

My point is a young journo has to be willing to listen and not think he's "bigger" than anybody else. Humility is the universal tool of journalism. When you lose that you become like every hackneyed writer people hate.

Not just young journo. Young everything (no matter the profession) needs that attitude or you quickly become known as the office douche or worse.

I'm surprised Carlson came back to Syracuse in the first place (or even that he's still alive), but given how the business is, I guess any job is a good job, even for a company that doesn't want to print newspapers anymore.

Right. Maybe we have unrealistic expectations. Journalism unfortunately is not a field that attracts the best and brightest anymore, not because people don't pay attention to the news media these days but because the news media still hasn't figured out how to make its nut in the Internet era. Working the college football beat at a paper that has a print edition 3 days a week can't be what Cohen or Carlson were hoping for when they enrolled at Newhouse. But I suppose if they were smarter, they would've known better back then.

He hated the sports department back when he wrote at the DO and am not surprised Cohen has that same attitude, too. It's seems like, as SU grads, they feel the need to go out of their way to prove that they're not "homers," hence the coverage. There's always been a contentious relationship between the SUAD and the DO so this isn't all that surprising.

Waters is the only decent reporter left there...he's honestly too good of a reporter for that paper/website but understand why he's stayed when he could have left for better jobs.

This seems to be a problem that a lot of young journalists have. Objectivity means presenting both sides of a story (and in news analysis rather than reportage, it means making sense of the situation after carefully weighing both sides). Unfortunately, these youngsters seem to think that objectivity means leaning on the "wrong" side of the story from most readers' perspectives to the point of distortion.

Its almost like Syracuse.com had a meeting and said..ok...one of you is going to trash the program and the other is going to trash the community as a whole. Carlson's distaste for the community i was born and raised in makes me want to throw him off a cliff. Cohen's smug B.S. every chance he gets makes me want to do the same. They are both pathetic and hacks. Writing a NY Times puff piece doesnt give you a green light to be awful for the rest of your career.

Welcome to the world of businsess models.

Right. Forcing Rahme out was a business decision. I don't care what the editors have to say about it. They're looking to save money, "get leaner" and you do that by going with youth and pushing out the guys with seniority and higher salaries. Maybe Carlson's thinking that for the money he's getting, he deserves to take a on our town.

Cohen stated "better then" and he is a reporter? Third graders are taught the difference between "then" and "than". One doesn't realize how uneducated they sound when they misuse those words. Unfortunately, many people do this.

Go Cuse!

No kidding. It amazes me constantly, but MOST people also don't know the difference between "there" and "their", "there's" and "theirs", "your" and "you're", "its" and "it's", etc. Of course when it comes from "journos", it's even more befuddling. Seems like spell-checkers - which obviously acknowledge all these variations as valid - have replaced editors. Nobody proof reads anymore - and if they do, it's more of an indictment of "there" basic illiteracy.