McDonald to Cohen | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

McDonald to Cohen

That's why you don't push the starter out before the freshman is ready. They could have replace Nolan Weidner with Cohen and kept Dave Rahme as a mentor to learn the ropes from.

Unfortunately my understanding is that Cohen was not interested in any advice or direction in how to do the job.

I don't think Cohen needs or should be a cheerleader, that's not his job. Just be fair, accurate and responsible.

And if you make a mistake, be humble.

His tweet was speculation and didn't belong on his twitter account.

What made it worse was that it was negative information that he implied was not from good sources.

On the flip side, if Mike Waters speculates that Kaleb Joseph may commit this weekend, Waters would only due so with solid info - it appears Cohen did not.
So you're saying you've spoken to Mike Waters :D

Sent from my SCH-I200 using Tapatalk 2

Unfortunately my understanding is that Cohen was not interested in any advice or direction in how to do the job.

This is why it will be a big learning opportunity for him when he gets canned. Michael "NY Times" Cohen needs some humble pie.

I just read through the Q & A and wonder if this answer was really necessary.

spacer.gif

[Comment From EthanEthan: ]
What is the deal with Funderburk? Is not giving effort, or not the player we thought?

Friday August 16, 2013 12:13 Ethan

12:14
phpOhITfL2013-02-27-mg-cohen11A.JPG
spacer.gif

Michael Cohen:
Oh, Quinta. This one still remains a puzzle for me. He seems to work hard in practice and never appears to be dogging it, but for some reason the total package has never clicked for him. The more I watch practice the more I think he just isn't the player college coaches thought he was coming out of high school.

I guess that's when you kick the wet behind the ears know-it-all off the team.

if someone serves you a ham sandwhich..and the bread is moldy..do you look at your plate and say.." well this is what i got so im going to eat it"...or do you ask for a new freakin sandwhich? There is also a 3rd option..dont eat the freakin sandwhich. Noone wants to eat Cohens bullshit sandwhich is the point.

There are a lot of other sandwiches just waiting to be eaten within arms reach.

Negativity from the local media is not what this program needs right now. We could use some of our own smoke and mirrors to win back some of the fans.

I just read through the Q & A and wonder if this answer was really necessary.

spacer.gif

[Comment From EthanEthan: ]
What is the deal with Funderburk? Is not giving effort, or not the player we thought?

Friday August 16, 2013 12:13 Ethan

12:14
phpOhITfL2013-02-27-mg-cohen11A.JPG
spacer.gif

Michael Cohen:
Oh, Quinta. This one still remains a puzzle for me. He seems to work hard in practice and never appears to be dogging it, but for some reason the total package has never clicked for him. The more I watch practice the more I think he just isn't the player college coaches thought he was coming out of high school.

I actually don't mind this. He can give opinions as a beat writer. Some will be right and some will be wrong. But when I read that, I never blinked twice.

The AJ Long comment was a completely different (and inappropriate) situation. And even though in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, the fact that he won't own up to it is really bothering me.

Seems to me that we have more than enough people covering the team from the PS right now. Used to be Donnie and Dave. Then throw in Bud as columnist. Everything was covered. Now we have Cohen, Carlson (who I've liked so far), Mink, Axe in some fairly undefined capacity, and Bud is still around. So I wouldn't think anyone's job is too safe.

I actually don't mind this. He can give opinions as a beat writer. Some will be right and some will be wrong. But when I read that, I never blinked twice.

The AJ Long comment was a completely different (and inappropriate) situation. And even though in the grand scheme it doesn't matter, the fact that he won't own up to it is really bothering me.

Seems to me that we have more than enough people covering the team from the PS right now. Used to be Donnie and Dave. Then throw in Bud as columnist. Everything was covered. Now we have Cohen, Carlson (who I've liked so far), Mink, Axe in some fairly undefined capacity, and Bud is still around. So I wouldn't think anyone's job is too safe.
I'm surprised you've liked Carlson. He seems the most knowledgeable, but the unnecessary jabs he takes at the community and the program got old for me really fast.

I'm surprised you've liked Carlson. He seems the most knowledgeable, but the unnecessary jabs he takes at the community and the program got old for me really fast.

I admittedly haven't read all of his stuff, so I right now I don't recall the jabs you mention. (although with my short term memory, I'm sure I commented on them at the time). As far as the football related stuff, he just seems to be the most knowledgeable. Which could prove to make him nothing more than king of the dipsh!ts. But for now, it sticks out a little more than the others.

I just wonder if it's too much to ask that we have at least one writer who does his job - watching games and practices, giving facts, providing some insight to those of us who aren't able to see the team every day - without inserting opinion and flowery prose into every paragraph.

A guy like Cohen seems like the kind of journalist who always thinks he is part of the story. No one cares about anything but what's happening on the field right now, Cohen.

I admittedly haven't read all of his stuff, so I right now I don't recall the jabs you mention. (although with my short term memory, I'm sure I commented on them at the time). As far as the football related stuff, he just seems to be the most knowledgeable. Which could prove to make him nothing more than king of the dipsh!ts. But for now, it sticks out a little more than the others.
Here's one example. It's in the second half of the first sentence. Not only is it unnecessary, it's also inaccurate, as most SU fans I know would say the draft was quite successful for SU, with four guys selected, one in the first round.

http://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball/index.ssf/2013/05/syracuse_will_face_loaded_2014.html

There are a lot of other sandwiches just waiting to be eaten within arms reach.

Negativity from the local media is not what this program needs right now. We could use some of our own smoke and mirrors to win back some of the fans.
exactly. thank you

Its almost like Syracuse.com had a meeting and said..ok...one of you is going to trash the program and the other is going to trash the community as a whole. Carlson's distaste for the community i was born and raised in makes me want to throw him off a cliff. Cohen's smug B.S. every chance he gets makes me want to do the same. They are both pathetic and hacks. Writing a NY Times puff piece doesnt give you a green light to be awful for the rest of your career.

Its the equivalent of someone thinking they are an artist and having one of their paintings in a good museum one time...and thinking they can use feces instead of paint for the rest of their artistic career to create works of art because noone will notice the 99 bad things you have done when you have that one shiny turd.

Its almost like Syracuse.com had a meeting and said..ok...one of you is going to trash the program and the other is going to trash the community as a whole. Carlson's distaste for the community i was born and raised in makes me want to throw him off a cliff. Cohen's smug B.S. every chance he gets makes me want to do the same. They are both pathetic and hacks. Writing a NY Times puff piece doesnt give you a green light to be awful for the rest of your career.
I never read, or even knew, he had an article in the NY Times. I know him only for the sucky arrogant writer he is.

I have never read it..that is the one thing people at his company use as a reference as to why he should have that job. Im friends with ( used to be haha) someone who is in charge of the sports part of syracuse.com and she went crazy on me when i told her Rahme should never have been passed over. She was trying to sell cohen and the other morons to me. I told her they will regret these hires BIGTIME..she laughed at me..im the one laughing now.

I have never read it..that is the one thing people at his company use as a reference as to why he should have that job. Im friends with ( used to be haha) someone who is in charge of the sports part of syracuse.com and she went crazy on me when i told her Rahme should never have been passed over. She was trying to sell cohen and the other morons to me. I told her they will regret these hires BIGTIME..she laughed at me..im the one laughing now.
Does she know anything about sports and what informed fans expect from their beat writer? My guess is no.

The point is that the people over there just dont care. They just really, truly do not care anymore. Their main focus is to get as many trolls and racists to comment on every poorly written "piece" on that website. Its nothing more than an abomination. Its on the same level as a yahoo chat board now.

That's why you don't push the starter out before the freshman is ready. They could have replaced Nolan Weidner with Cohen and kept Dave Rahme as a mentor to learn the ropes from.

Welcome to the world of businsess models.

I sent an email to the PS about the horrible coverage. Brent Axe responded, asking to give the new guys a chance. I replied back, by basically saying, the problem isn't that they need time on the job. They are either biased against the university/community (Carlson) or just incompetent and arrogant (Cohen).

so he can write how the team is bogged down from waiting for the erie canal delivery of balls and nets-how we scour the salt mines for players

Carlson is the idiot who makes references to Syracuse like we are still in the 1800s...Cohen just purposely pisses off the coaches and fans with lies and awful assumptions.