McDonough on telecast | Syracusefan.com

McDonough on telecast

domefoam

Walk On
I thought he was very critical of our 'home game' in NY. Brought up numerous times no home crowd advantage and needled SU with the home game "5 hours" away.

I liked the idea but the crowd blew.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?nx20fe

I wouldnt say the crowd "blew". Maybe the fact it was just under 40k and USC almost matched the amount of fans we had is what you're referencing but the weather forecast was also horrendous (dont know if that had any impact). I thought the fans who were there were awesome though. Very passionate, lots of emotion, and in that split second we had the ball going into the 4th quarter, down 4, the energy was palpable. The ridiculous call to punt, followed by the 70 yard USC big play really just killed the energy in the place.

Everything McDonough said is true. Home game in NJ? Less that stellar crowd (stadium at best half or slightly more than half full). Syracuse fans from Central New York needing to travel 5 hours to see game. His opinion (and mine) that the best way to recruit is to win a game against top line competition and the venue that gives you the best chance to do that is the Carrier Dome.

I also should say I agree it would be better to play teams like USC in the Dome...but in our current rebuilding state can we even get home and home's with teams like that?

Everything McDonough said is true. Home game in NJ? Less that stellar crowd (stadium at best half or slightly more than half full). Syracuse fans from Central New York needing to travel 5 hours to see game. His opinion (and mine) that the best way to recruit is to win a game against top line competition and the venue that gives you the best chance to do that is the Carrier Dome.

NYC alumni were a HUGE let down yesterday. Only 20K or so? You people should be ashamed. Nobody downstate gets to rag on the lack of townie support after a showing like that. We bring more people to the Garden than ventured out to the Meadowlands yesterday.

I'm SOOOO glad we're doing this NINE MORE TIMES. Get off your arses, you NYC prima donnas and show up to support your school.

NYC alumni were a HUGE let down yesterday. Only 20K or so? You people should be ashamed. Nobody downstate gets to rag on the lack of townie support after a showing like that. We bring more people to the Garden than ventured out to the Meadowlands yesterday.

I'm SOOOO glad we're doing this NINE MORE TIMES. Get off your arses, you NYC prima donnas and show up to support your school.
What is the deal with NYC basketball support compared to football support? Is it just that its easier to take over the Garden, less seats, Syracuse fans prefer basketball, the football team hasnt been that good?

What is the deal with NYC basketball support compared to football support? Is it just that its easier to take over the Garden, less seats, Syracuse fans prefer basketball, the football team hasnt been that good?

Because City folk don't have to get on a bus or drive to get to the Garden. It would be like having a game essentially within walking distance.

SEC announcers never put their schools down like that and it's a complete and utter suck up fest while an SU guy tells it like it is. We as a whole fan base wise have to learn how to play the propaganda game better and would be wise to learn from the SEC on how to do so. Perception is everything especially to the first time viewer or the easily swayed.

I also should say I agree it would be better to play teams like USC in the Dome...but in our current rebuilding state can we even get home and home's with teams like that?

We absolutely can get a home and home series with teams like USC. Absolutely. If memory serves, we had a home and home with USC, but SU moved the game to Met Life Stadium. Further, if Notre Dame won't come back to the Dome after we whipped their asses up there several years ago, then screw 'em. There are plenty of top twenty caliber teams that will gladly play SU one in the Dome for one in their stadium.

Next year there will be 45K+ Penn State fans in Met Life Stadium. Will the money from the gate be an enjoyable deposit in the SU athletic department coffers - absolutely. Will SU have as good a chance to win that game playing it in NJ as opposed to Central New York? No way.

BTW - has anyone figured out how Dr. Gross' math work on this USC game? He indicated previously via the media that SU was going to make 75% of its normal football budget from the proceeds of playing this game ... how?

NYC fans are bandwagon supporters. If basketball had a few seasons of mediocre play they would stop showing up as well.

Even the myth that NYC fans show up for big matchups was dispelled. If about 5-10k NYC fans is what shows up for the #2 team in the country, I would hate to see how many would go to a conference game. :bang:

what would the crowd have been had su been top 20 and coming off two bowl wins probably easily another 5-7k SU fans in the place if we were doing better.. if we are back in the top 20 playing ND there are probably 20k more in the place.

We absolutely can get a home and home series with teams like USC. Absolutely. If memory serves, we had a home and home with USC, but SU moved the game to Met Life Stadium. Further, if Notre Dame won't come back to the Dome after we whipped their asses up there several years ago, then screw 'em. There are plenty of top twenty caliber teams that will gladly play SU one in the Dome for one in their stadium.

Next year there will be 45K+ Penn State fans in Met Life Stadium. Will the money from the gate be an enjoyable deposit in the SU athletic department coffers - absolutely. Will SU have as good a chance to win that game playing it in NJ as opposed to Central New York? No way.

BTW - has anyone figured out how Dr. Gross' math work on this USC game? He indicated previously via the media that SU was going to make 75% of its normal football budget from the proceeds of playing this game ... how?

He said 70%, not 75, and I figure it's got to be the guaranteed TV money from a network broadcast + an appearance fee from the Meadowlands. And he's probably basing his comparison not on a full house at the Dome, but our average attendance.

I thought Spielman was being an ass. Every time something positive was mentioned about Syracuse he was quick to shoot it down.

NYC fans are bandwagon supporters. If basketball had a few seasons of mediocre play they would stop showing up as well.

Even the myth that NYC fans show up for big matchups was dispelled. If about 5-10k NYC fans is what shows up for the #2 team in the country, I would hate to see how many would go to a conference game. :bang:
The official number was just a tad under 40k and id say it was 55/45 Cuse/USC split, so your NYC fan numbers are probably correct.

We are playing at the Met Life Stadium because it pays for 70% of our football budget. Even if the bandwagon fans in Syracuse sold out the Dome for the USC game (which is highly unlikely) there is no way the Athletic Department would generate that type of profit for one game in Syracuse.

No one is this town can bitch about anything when only 37,000 for the home opener (which includes a ton of free tickets for SU students) and they could not even could not sellout the Dome when PSU and Notre Dame came to town a few years ago.

Everyone knows that the decision to play at Met Life Stadium is about money and we need a lot of money to turn this football programs around. We need money to build an indoor practice facility/upgrade facilities which can be used to convince some highly touted recruits that we are once again a legit D1 football team.

I for one made the 4 hour trip to NJ and loved watching the Cuse play at Met Life Stadium.

All I can say to all the folks in Syracuse who are bitching about the decision is start to buying season tickets and donate some money to the Ernie Davis Club.

I had fun at Met Life.

We made some money.

Alabama opened the season in Dallas.

ND opened the season in Ireland.

This is the way of big time college sports.

As we win more often and at greater heights, the crowds and games will return to the Dome.

Everybody loves a winner...upstate and downstate and if SU can play 6 to 8 games in Syracuse and have a set up with PSU 1-1-1 I see no problem with this. If we all show up for all our home games, things will turn out quite well but this goofy blame game is foolish to me. The dock made the call and it may not be a win-win playing a home game in Jersey but I think it was the right move to put some dollars in our pocket along with playing in a very high recruiting area. I'd venture a guess the kids liked playing at an NFL stadium like that as well and may be a nice recruiting tool for us as well and even better if we can support them bu showing up.

If nothing else, this big stage displayed that SU football is coming back to competing at a very high level, I don't think there are many people who are doubting this team right now, even with the 0-2 record. I'd expect to see good crowds at the Dome for the rest of the season...or atleast for the next handful of games, granted they keep playing this well.

When it comes to anything administrative about SU, McDonough is about the last alum I would listen to. He used that as filler yesterday.

His sour grapes comment a few years ago was about as off base, missing the point as you can get. Takes shots because he needs to fill time.

Opinions aside, love his play by play (his actual job).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Want to talk about a perception problem. This morning SIRIUS College Sports Radio spent 1 entire segment on "What is Wrong with USC"

Why do they think something is wrong after a 2-0 start, because they only beat Syracuse 42-29 and they have to beat a school "like that" (ie Syracuse) by a lot more. Now that is a perception problem nationally for Syracuse. The football program is viewed as a doormat across the country.

Want to talk about a perception problem. This morning SIRIUS College Sports Radio spent 1 entire segment on "What is Wrong with USC"

Why do they think something is wrong after a 2-0 start, because they only beat Syracuse 42-29 and they have to beat a school "like that" (ie Syracuse) by a lot more. Now that is a perception problem nationally for Syracuse. The football program is viewed as a doormat across the country.

Actually, the USC radio team talked about how well Syracuse played - that the Orange had "SC on the ropes" - that Syracuse University Football has improved and will be very competitive the rest of the year.

The Trojan analysts were very complimentary.

BTW - Were you at the game yesterday?

BTW - Were you at the game yesterday?
No, I was not at the game yesterday. Why do you care? I had family obligations that won't allow me to drive 4-5 hours on a Saturday for a football game. sorry. I haven't been to an SU road game in years. I'm not a kid anymore who can just drop everything for a "road trip" with the buddies. And yes I consider a game in NYC/NJ a road game and NOT a home game for local CNY fans.

No, I was not at the game yesterday. Why do you care? I had family obligations that won't allow me to drive 4-5 hours on a Saturday for a football game. sorry. I haven't been to an SU road game in years. I'm not a kid anymore who can just drop everything for a "road trip" with the buddies. And yes I consider a game in NYC/NJ a road game and NOT a home game for local CNY fans.

Just curious.

You gave up your season tix for home games, so I was wondering if you took the time to watch the team in NJ.

You missed a good time - it was a great venue and a lot of fun.

Just curious.

You gave up your season tix for home games, so I was wondering if you took the time to watch the team in NJ.

You missed a good time - it was a great venue and a lot of fun.

Glad ya had fun on a weekend vacation! :rolleyes: (What??)

Back to talking football..

I would be very embarrassed if USC went to the dome and the dome failed to be sold out, and who can say for sure that the dome would have sold out against USC. And if it did sell out how much USC red would we have seen in the dome? I love McDonough, but I disagree with him here* (I was at the game so I don't know what he said and can't really disagree until I know for sure what he said).

Yesterday was fun. If SU had beaten NW and the weather had been better we would have seen 5k more Orange fans. I met many NYC alumni who were excited and who haven't been up to the dome in many years. And this is important for no other reason than if the crowd is below 50k NJ Transit doesn't run the train from the stadium to Secaucus Junction, and we have to take a bus instead. Last night after the game my bus driver ended up getting lost on the way to Secaucus Junction and we drove around the NJ Turnpike for 20 minutes until he could figure it out. Gotta love NJ!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom