McGill box score | Syracusefan.com

McGill box score

T

tee1222

http://www.mcgillathletics.ca/boxscore.aspx?path=mbball&id=5762
Grant led the way with 17 points - got to the line for 6/10 FTs
Ennis 11/3/3/0 turnovers and 1 steal - looked razor sharp
CJ, 13 in 11 minutes before injury (he looks to be ok, minor injury)

##
Player​
GSFGM-FGA3FGM-3FGAFTM-FTAOFF-DEFTOTPFTPATOBLKSTLMIN
FAIR, C.J.​
* 6-9 1-2 0-0 0-1 1 0 13 0 0 0 1 11
ENNIS, Tyler​
* 4-9 1-2 2-2 0-3 3 1 11 3 0 0 1 24
COONEY, Trevor​
* 4-14 2-7 0-0 1-2 3 0 10 2 0 0 1 22
COLEMAN, DaJuan​
* 3-5 0-0 3-6 3-2 5 3 9 0 3 1 0 26
CHRISTMAS, Rakeem​
* 2-4 0-0 0-0 2-5 7 5 4 1 1 2 0 20
GRANT, Jerami​
5-9 1-1 6-10 5-3 8 1 17 1 1 0 1 25
GBINIJE, Michael​
1-6 1-4 2-2 0-5 5 0 5 0 0 1 3 20
JOHNSON, B.J.​
2-6 0-1 1-2 2-1 3 0 5 1 2 1 2 18
PATTERSON, Ron​
2-6 0-1 0-0 1-2 3 0 4 3 2 1 0 19
KEITA, Baye Moussa​
1-3 0-0 0-0 3-2 5 2 2 0 3 0 0 15

Since the formatting got funktified a bit, let me throw out a few things:
BJ - jitters but had a great block from behind and 2 steals, 5 points to go with 3 rebounds
Buss - also struggled with his shot but did a few nice things, another block from behind, 4 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists
Rak - 7 boards, 1 assist, 2 blocks but fouled out. 4 points
DC2 - 9 points, but got stripped 3 times keeping the ball low. Add 5 rebounds, 1 block
Keita stuggled 1/3 with 3 TOs, but grabbed 5 boards
Cooney - front rimmed at least 3 shots in a row, 4/14, had 2 nice assists and the game opened up when he took the lane the defense gave him! Hit 2 3s late.
MikeG - 1/6 but it didn't show. He looked confident bringing the ball up, 5 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 3 steals

How do you go from 12 for 12 from the free throw line in the first half to 8 for 22 in the second. Thats just bad ft discipline.
lol :D

BJ - jitters but had a great block from behind and 2 steals, 5 points to go with 3 rebounds
Buss - also struggled with his shot but did a few nice things, another block from behind, 4 points, 3 rebounds and 3 assists
DC2 - 9 points, but got stripped 3 times keeping the ball low. Add 5 rebounds, 1 block
Cooney - front rimmed at least 3 shots in a row, 4/14, had 2 nice assists and the game opened up when he took the lane the defense gave him! Hit 2 3s late.
MikeG - 1/6 but it didn't show. He looked confident bringing the ball up, 5 points, 5 rebounds, 1 block, 3 steals
Mike G looked a lot more confident with his dribble than say someone like JSIII. I thought his performance today was very good.

I expect BJ and Buss to get lots of minutes this trip. Both look like they have very solid futures.

Just another thing that popped out to me. McGill had no place going into the lane, so we didn't see a lot of blocks. Credit our height and the zone working very smoothly so early.

More importantly, since we have a young backcourt between Ennis, Buss, MikeG, Cooney even BJ played a little 2...
all, all of them worked their butts off to challenge the shooters, close out any gaps that the rotations left.

I am very impressed with all of these guys movements and speed getting towards perimeter players.
Aside from Cooney, none of these guys have game time experience and two had only a few practices to get up to speed.
Kudos to the hustle play from our guards.

Expect no outside shooting from the shooting guard position unless it comes from one of the frosh. We will have to be a defensive team. CJ is a beast. He will draw double teams.

whoa Ennis only had 3 assist??
I know, looked better than that, but he played 24 minutes. He got into the lane at will and pushed the break a few times with ease, so the numbers aren't a true reflection of his play.

really- 1 summer exhibition and we get this? Waaaaaaaaaaaay to early for this crap. No offense.

That is one way to look at it. Another way is that we were playing a team that could not defend us. Shooting 3's should have been like shooting in a practice game. Duck soup on this level for a shooting guard. Yet, Silent G did not hit 3's in Estonia and Cooney still takes shots that are not even close to going in. The sample is small but the indication is that our weakness will be lack of a credible 3 ball from the shooting guard position unless BJ or Buss steps up. Opponents will be tempted to use their shooting guard to double down on CJ when he touches the ball.

true but we had no sg that could shoot it last year and we went to the final four. I like this years prospects better Between Ennis Gbinije and Cooney. Come to think of it we had no post scorer either last year and CJ ended up on the perimeter more. This year we have dajuan, Grant and Roberson.

Cooney needs to take his time and square up, hes to good of a shooter to be rushing, rushing his release like hes shooting off the dribble, and not going through all the mechanics. He needs to be professor mechanically from outside the arc and leave the bad@ss athletic attitude inside.

Let the shooting off the dribble and pullups from outside go to Ennis and Gbinije early on. One reason I wanted to see Cooney play more point guard is so he could get more spot ups.

When Roberson gets here if him or Grant can knock them down we can go with CJ up top on offense and Grant uptop on defense maybe. Heck, Xmas played 20 minutes tonight at the four. Although, that could be a challenge to CJ as he would have to pass alittle more

whoa Ennis only had 3 assist??

He passed alot to the perimeter guys for open looks and those guys didn't shoot to well. It doesn't matter though because he runs the offense very well, kind of PG that gets the ball were it needs to be when it needs to be there.

Thanks for recapping. Good stuff.

Really, really happy with Ennis right now. Yes, it's one game against a Le Moyne-esque team, but still, he needs to get comfortable in this system.

I think Ennis and Grant are in for big years.

The game opened up for Cooney and he still went 4-14? Yikes!

With the ball in his hands Ennis reminds me so much of Jason Kidd.

He is suddenly faster with the ball and then he just makes everything go whatever pace he thinks is right. I believe he will be one of the smartest bball players we've had to play the point as a freshman.

That is one way to look at it. Another way is that we were playing a team that could not defend us. Shooting 3's should have been like shooting in a practice game. Duck soup on this level for a shooting guard. Yet, Silent G did not hit 3's in Estonia and Cooney still takes shots that are not even close to going in. The sample is small but the indication is that our weakness will be lack of a credible 3 ball from the shooting guard position unless BJ or Buss steps up. Opponents will be tempted to use their shooting guard to double down on CJ when he touches the ball.

small sample size, way early as well as the very first game for the youngsters and minus the other super frosh. Cooney struggled yes- but he will need to keep shooting. He reinvented himself slimming down so lets give it a few games. I think he does better on the move , with the ball vs spotting up. If grant and cj prove to be threats enough so that teams are forced to pay attention to them on the perimeter we can have a shooters by committee with good offensive rebounding like last year. Grants ability to nearly dominate at times alongside cj's efficiency will not make it easy for teams even if we dont have a 36 pct or higher 3pt shooting team. Also ennis is likely to be more of a threat (35 pct or so) to punish teams for laying off- so i say lets see more before jumping to early conclusions.

With the ball in his hands Ennis reminds me so much of Jason Kidd.

i just hope he isnt too good this year- yet i will take a title all day even if it means ushering in the kaleb era a little early :). As for the kidd comparison i agree- he just seems in total command and elevates everyone's game on the floor.

I expect us to be good, maybe even final 4 good but not enough offense against the highest powered teams: Duke, Ville and Kentucky.

just wait until ennis gets cozy driving the lane and lobbing to our stacked froncourt :D

I expect us to be good, maybe even final 4 good but not enough offense against the highest powered teams: Duke, Ville and Kentucky.

uk is unproven- lots of guys that want shots, harrisons are behind ennis imho. the ville loses siva who was a key balancing act vs smith the chucker. duke has questions a well without plumlee and kelly. i would say we have a fair shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom