MCW to Houston | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MCW to Houston

I love Shaun Livingston's game. He's a guy who has total self-awareness of his strengths and weaknesses, and always takes high percentage shots.
The brilliance of Livingston is he has a perfect understanding of his game and perfectly plays within that. He's money at the rim and out to about 12 feet, and those are the only shots he takes.
We posted the exact same thought at almost the exact same time.

He'd have to learn how to shoot if he wants to be Shaun Livingston

Yeah, Livingston is a good mid range shooter and has strong shot selection too. He’s locked into his role, and has amazingly become a guy who stays healthy every year now. He was often injured in his younger years even before he had one of the worst sports injuries of all time. The last 5 years he’s basically been healthy all season.

Hopefully MCW can stay healthy and find his niche again.

Livingston is an awful shooter.

He's probably one of the best mid-range shooters in the NBA; he just can't extend his range out to 3 point line for some reason. Comparing him to MCW:

MCW's % first, Livingston second
0-3 feet: 56.6% vs 63.7%
3-10 feet: 36.2% vs 43.8%
10-16 feet: 35.3% vs 45.2%
16-<3: 31.3% vs 39.1%
3PT: 25.0% vs 18.3%

Livingston is basically great anywhere inside the 3 point line whereas MCW is bad everywhere.

We posted the exact same thought at almost the exact same time.

16-ways-step-brothers-perfectly-describes-you-and-2-27748-1425431037-2_dblbig.jpg

Livingston can't make a shot beyond 15 feet. In fact, I don't think he has in about 5 years.

Livingston is very good in the 16-23 foot range, which makes up 10-15% of his shot attempts.

Livingston can't make a shot beyond 15 feet. In fact, I don't think he has in about 5 years.

But he’s a good shooter from 15. One of the best.

We don’t say Bernard King or Richard Hamilton couldn’t shoot, right?

He lacks range, no question.

Shaun Livingston is fascinating to me; he's a guard in this current era, he plays for the team that probably popularized the 3 pointer more than any team ever, and in the 4 years he's been a warrior, he's taken a grand total of 22 3 pointers. He's made 3 of them.

He'd have to learn how to shoot if he wants to be Shaun Livingston
Incorrect. As Eric15 states the game has slowed down for Livingston and he takes high percentage shots. MCW has the ability to adapt his game. I think his biggest problem is that he thinks he can shoot. He needs to drive and dish and rebound at his size. They are similar in skill set and their careers have had a similar path.
Houston will be MCW's 5th team in 6 years while Livingston played for 10 different teams his first 9 seasons in the league. Until he figured out he was a bench role player with GSW. To illustrate the differences in their approach...Livingston attempts (for his 14 year career) 1 3-point attempt every 10 games (makes 18.3%). MCW attempts 2 per game (makes 25%). Houston could become MCW's GSW. It's up to MCW to adapt. At this point I don;t really see his 3 % getting any better. But he can still do everything else.

Rajon Rondo and Marcus Smart can’t shoot either.
MCW just needs to stay healthy and atleast show he can penetrate and/or play some defense.
Health has been a major problem for him.
If he can stay healthy then just being a role bench player with his height as a PG makes him a weapon in other ways.

Houston doesn’t need him to score they just need depth for when Paul misses a couple of games for maintenance.

MCW is god awful at shooting, never said he wasn’t.

You saying shaun livingston is an "awful shooter" is a terrible take. He doesn't have range. I never said he was Steph Curry, but my original post saying "he needs to learn how to shoot if he wants to be Shaun Livingston" is very accurate. MCW STINKS at almost every shot on the floor

Livingston is very good in the 16-23 foot range, which makes up 10-15% of his shot attempts.

They make up less than 10% of his shots and he shoots 42% from that range.

You saying shaun livingston is an "awful shooter" is a terrible take. He doesn't have range. I never said he was Steph Curry, but my original post saying "he needs to learn how to shoot if he wants to be Shaun Livingston" is very accurate. MCW STINKS at almost every shot on the floor

It really isn’t a take, he’s not a good shooter, outside of 16 feet.

They make up less than 10% of his shots and he shoots 42% from that range.

It's ranged from 9.6% to 10.6% the last 3 years and his career average is 15% of his shots coming from there. He's shot 39% from there over the course of his career and 42% as a Warrior, which is very good.

Edit: To be clear, 42% isn't elite like Durant/Steph/Redick for example, but he's in the same tier as guys like Khris Middleton, DeMar DeRozan, and LaMarcus Aldridge, who are all known for being good mid-range shooters.

It's ranged from 9.6% to 10.6% the last 3 years and his career average is 15% of his shots coming from there. He's shot 39% from there over the course of his career and 42% as a Warrior, which is very good.

I guess Willy Caulley Stein and JJ Berara are very good from there too then.

I guess Willy Caulley Stein and JJ Berara are very good from there too then.
The mid-range game has always been JJ Barea's calling card lol (along with being pretty good in the pick-and-roll, mainly while utilizing his mid-range jumper). He is indeed a good mid-range shooter.

Cauley-Stein might be. He's only been taking those shots for two seasons now and has hit them at a pretty good rate. I imagine those are mostly wide-open shots that the defense is happily giving him though, rather than the off-the-dribble contested variety that Livingston makes.

The mid-range game has always been JJ Barea's calling card lol (along with being pretty good in the pick-and-roll, mainly while utilizing his mid-range jumper). He is indeed a good mid-range shooter.

Cauley-Stein might be. He's only been taking those shots for two seasons now and has hit them at a pretty good rate. I imagine those are mostly wide-open shots that the defense is happily giving him though, rather than the off-the-dribble contested variety that Livingston makes.

JJ Barea is garbage.

If you’re shooting 39% from mid range, you shouldn’t be shooting the ball, especially with how wide open Livingston always is.

JJ Barea is garbage.

If you’re shooting 39% from mid range, you shouldn’t be shooting the ball, especially with how wide open Livingston always is.

Barea being a bad basketball doesn't mean he's a bad mid-range shooter.

Per NBA.com, 50% of Livingston's mid-range shots were either very tightly contested or tightly contested and he shot roughly 46.5% on those.

Arguing about whether or not mid-range shots are efficient in general is not really related to the topic at hand. You said Livingston can't shoot outside of 16 feet and that's simply incorrect; he's a good deep mid-range shooter as well as being a very good short mid-range shooter and finisher at the rim.

Barea being a bad basketball doesn't mean he's a bad mid-range shooter.

Per NBA.com, 50% of Livingston's mid-range shots were either very tightly contested or tightly contested and he shot roughly 46.5% on those.

Arguing about whether or not mid-range shots are efficient in general is not really related to the topic at hand. You said Livingston can't shoot outside of 16 feet and that's simply incorrect; he's a good deep mid-range shooter as well as being a very good short mid-range shooter and finisher at the rim.

He’s middle of the pack based on his percentage, that’s what the numbers say and where he is ranked.

39% from 15-19ft isn’t very good, it’s average.

This argument reminds me of the old baseball cliche, if the shortstop or catcher can’t hit then they must be excellent on defense which wasn’t always the case.

Bottom line, 39% from 15-19ft, ranks a tad below the middle of the pack. You can say it’s very good or excellent, but it’s average.

I think shooting % from mid range, however you want to define it, are lower than a lot of people think. NBA average from 16-24 feet last year was right at 40%. 42% is solidly above average. 39% is obviously basically barely below.

From 8-16 feet, the average is 41%.

Demar and Melo are guys who are considered kings of the mid range, Melo was 38.1% last year, Deorzan at 40.3%

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom