MCW to Houston | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

MCW to Houston

Most of the guys buckets are 10-15 foot jump-shots. I may have posted a time or two that the guy is 80% from the line too.

Less than half are outside of 9 feet. Not sure how you can say most are 10 feet or more.

Less than half are outside of 9 feet. Not sure how you can say most are 10 feet or more.

Ok, 8-15. I’m not sure how a foot or two changes anything? The guy makes a lot of jump shots. He lacks range, but he’s not a bad shooter.

Ok, 8-15. I’m not sure how a foot or two changes anything? The guy makes a lot of jump shots. He lacks range, but he’s not a bad shooter.

He makes those jump shots at a slightly below average rate and doesn’t take shots from deep, I just don’t know how that equates to him being a good shooter. If he’s just average from midrange wouldn’t that make him average? How is him being awful from the outside boost him into being a great shooter?

If anyone cares my opinion, I wouldnt say he's a blanket good shooter. Good mid range shooter I can buy, he clearly doesn't have faith in his 3 pointer, which is weird when you consider how many big guys have added the 3 recently. By all rights he should be able to be at least ok from there

If anyone cares my opinion, I wouldnt say he's a blanket good shooter. Good mid range shooter I can buy, he clearly doesn't have faith in his 3 pointer, which is weird when you consider how many big guys have added the 3 recently. By all rights he should be able to be at least ok from there

That’s all I’m saying.

That’s all I’m saying.
No, that's what we've been saying. We all fully acknowledge he's no Steph Curry from downtown. What's so admirable about his game is he understands his skill set and tailors his game to match those skills.

He's an above average mid range shooter.

No, that's what we've been saying. We all fully acknowledge he's no Steph Curry from downtown. What's so admirable about his game is he understands his skill set and tailors his game to match those skills.

Yes, agreed.

He's an above average mid range shooter.

Even though the stats say he’s a tad below average?

he’s ranked in the 100th percentile over the last three regular and post-season’s on the percentage of his shots hoisted between four feet from the rim and the arc. In terms of accuracy, he’s been above the 91st percentile in field-goal percentage from that area for the past three regular seasons. End of argument.

he’s ranked in the 100th percentile over the last three regular and post-season’s on the percentage of his shots hoisted between four feet from the rim and the arc. In terms of accuracy, he’s been above the 91st percentile in field-goal percentage from that area for the past three regular seasons. End of argument.

So Deandre Jordan is a good shooter?

Yes, agreed.

Even though the stats say he’s a tad below average?

Not sure where you’re getting that from? According to what was posted several pages back, he’s above the league average.

Not sure where you’re getting that from? According to what was posted several pages back, he’s above the league average.

You’re right. Read the numbers wrong, he’s a tad over league average.

I still wouldn’t qualify that as great, and unless he’s under the basket I could name about 60 guys I’d rather take a mid range shot being down two to tie it up.

As I said, IF MCW can become a Livingston type (play within himself, not take 3's he can't make, become consistent from 15 and in, play D and be a facilitator), then he can have value to some NBA teams.

If he doesn't develop, doesn't stay healthy, continues to try to be a shooter and doesn't become more efficient, he won't.

Fwiw, apparently (and this shouldn't be a surprise, I guess) MCW ranks pretty well on the defensive end with the advanced metrics
That is his obvious value to a team like Houston.
Play MCW with Harden on the court. Harden can create and score the offense and having a defensive first guard next to him is ideal for their team D especially if they don’t resign Capella.
Houston smartly really only plays Paul and Harden together the first 6 minutes of the first, last 4 of the 2nd, , first 6 minutes of the third and whatever is necessary in the 4th.

They don’t play together as much as they can just maximize each player’s value.
MCW should make sure he is healthy and he can be a valuable 3rd PG/4th guard in the rotation. They only need 10-15 MPG if Paul healthy and if he isn’t then maybe 20 MPG.

I don't think Mike will get another chance to play a lot and take a bunch of shots.

He was a 15 points per night with good assists, rebounds, and steals guard his first 3 years in the league. Recently hes been hurt a lot. He'll find work as a backup and pad his bank account and if guys are out he'll give you 15/6/6 over 35 minutes still.

10 years ago he'd have a shot at becoming a starter again. In fact it would probably happen teams like guys who can play D, rebound, dish, and score. But right now the league wants 3 point shooters at the 1 not really trending in his favor.

Houston seems like a good fit for him as long as hes not too far down the bench and sees the court for 10 minutes most nights.

That is his obvious value to a team like Houston.
Play MCW with Harden on the court. Harden can create and score the offense and having a defensive first guard next to him is ideal for their team D especially if they don’t resign Capella.
Houston smartly really only plays Paul and Harden together the first 6 minutes of the first, last 4 of the 2nd, , first 6 minutes of the third and whatever is necessary in the 4th.

They don’t play together as much as they can just maximize each player’s value.
MCW should make sure he is healthy and he can be a valuable 3rd PG/4th guard in the rotation. They only need 10-15 MPG if Paul healthy and if he isn’t then maybe 20 MPG.

Yeah, what they are hoping for is that he can do small bursts of solid defense, especially against GSW.

Also, for everyone talking about Livingston, he's one of the most aware players in the NBA of what he can and can't do and how to put himself into position to do what he can do. He also plays with arguably the best scorer of all time, the best shooter of all time and another guy who is a top five shooter of all time. Different world from the scenario most guys play in.

Yeah, what they are hoping for is that he can do small bursts of solid defense, especially against GSW.

Also, for everyone talking about Livingston, he's one of the most aware players in the NBA of what he can and can't do and how to put himself into position to do what he can do. He also plays with arguably the best scorer of all time, the best shooter of all time and another guy who is a top five shooter of all time. Different world from the scenario most guys play in.

The guy has seemingly spent his entire career as the 8th or 9th best player on the best team in the league. If hes been in other roles I don't really remember or take note.

Tough to compare someone with that luck to a guy who won rookie of the year yet was stabbed in the back by that franchise less than 12 months later.

MCW's game has been dissected enough but he was traded because his team was scared he was going to help them win too much and they had to focus on losing. His value wasn't that high for a reigning MVP Philly literally gave him away because he wasn't perfect but was still the best player and would help them win and they wanted to lose as much as possible. Kind of a tough break along with some injuries.

The guy has seemingly spent his entire career as the 8th or 9th best player on the best team in the league. If hes been in other roles I don't really remember or take note.

Tough to compare someone with that luck to a guy who won rookie of the year yet was stabbed in the back by that franchise less than 12 months later.

MCW's game has been dissected enough but he was traded because his team was scared he was going to help them win too much and they had to focus on losing. His value wasn't that high for a reigning MVP Philly literally gave him away because he wasn't perfect but was still the best player and would help them win and they wanted to lose as much as possible. Kind of a tough break along with some injuries.

You aren’t aware of Livingston’s injury early in his career? Maybe 2008 or so? Don’t youtube it, it’s disgusting. He almost had to have his leg amputated.

Hard to use the word “lucky” when it comes to him. He eventually made it back and has carved out a nice role for himself, but he came into the league with star potential.

Livingston had the worst on-court injury in the last 20 years, and possibly ever. That's not hyperbole.

Livingston had the worst on-court injury in the last 20 years, and possibly ever. That's not hyperbole.

That's a top 10 list i wouldn't want to see...

But let's do it anyway, it's summer and I'm dying over here.

FWIW this is the first time I’ve seen “Shaun Livingston” and “luck” used together in a positive way.

Right. His post made it pretty clear that he didn’t know much about Livingston before the last 5 years, so seems a good bet that he wasn’t aware of the injury, that he was drafted 4th, etc.

Definitely couldn’t be further from the truth to say he’s had a “lucky” career though. I remember that solid season with the Nets and being shocked that he’d made it back to that level. Can’t imagine how difficult it was mentally to come back from that injury, let alone physically.

I remember that season he got hurt with the Clippers, he was just showing signs of realizing his immense promise. I liked his game a lot. Was hoping to see him progress into a star. Might’ve happened. We’ll never know. Unlucky for sure but it’s also great that’s hes carved out a nice career on an all time great team.

Right. His post made it pretty clear that he didn’t know much about Livingston before the last 5 years, so seems a good bet that he wasn’t aware of the injury, that he was drafted 4th, etc.

Definitely couldn’t be further from the truth to say he’s had a “lucky” career though. I remember that solid season with the Nets and being shocked that he’d made it back to that level. Can’t imagine how difficult it was mentally to come back from that injury, let alone physically.

I remember that season he got hurt with the Clippers, he was just showing signs of realizing his immense promise. I liked his game a lot. Was hoping to see him progress into a star. Might’ve happened. We’ll never know. Unlucky for sure but it’s also great that’s hes carved out a nice career on an all time great team.

I mean I guess he’s lucky in the sense that he has had a ten year productive NBA career after his leg almost broke off .

But this is a guy who I was SURE was going to be a superstar in the league for years.

Edit: not to go off an too far a tangent but I get irrationally pissed off at posters who just fire off takes without taking five seconds to actually fact check themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mean I guess he’s lucky in the sense that he has had a ten year productive NBA career after his leg almost broke off .

But this is a guy who I was SURE was going to be a superstar in the league for years.

Edit: not to go off an too far a tangent but I get irrationally pissed off at posters who just fire off takes without taking five seconds to actually fact check themselves.

I think the only fact that mattered with this take was MCW went to cuse and Livingston didnt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom