MCW to Houston | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

MCW to Houston

Rajon Rondo and Marcus Smart can’t shoot either.
MCW just needs to stay healthy and atleast show he can penetrate and/or play some defense.
Health has been a major problem for him.
If he can stay healthy then just being a role bench player with his height as a PG makes him a weapon in other ways.

Houston doesn’t need him to score they just need depth for when Paul misses a couple of games for maintenance.

Don't use Marcus as a comparison here. His biggest downfall is that he continues to take 3s even on nights when he is woeful from that range. Rondo doesn't do that. Livingston never does that.

I think shooting % from mid range, however you want to define it, are lower than a lot of people think. NBA average from 16-24 feet last year was right at 40%. 42% is solidly above average. 39% is obviously basically barely below.

From 8-16 feet, the average is 41%.

Demar and Melo are guys who are considered kings of the mid range, Melo was 38.1% last year, Deorzan at 40.3%

Yup. And this is where things like shot selection and role on the team come into play.

I think shooting % from mid range, however you want to define it, are lower than a lot of people think. NBA average from 16-24 feet last year was right at 40%. 42% is solidly above average. 39% is obviously basically barely below.

From 8-16 feet, the average is 41%.

Demar and Melo are guys who are considered kings of the mid range, Melo was 38.1% last year, Deorzan at 40.3%

Which is my point, he’s average at mid range and awful from 3. Which is why I’m not sure I got hammered saying he isn’t a good shooter. He isn’t.

Which is my point, he’s average at mid range and awful from 3. Which is why I’m not sure I got hammered saying he isn’t a good shooter. He isn’t.

I’lm sticking to...he’s a good mid range shooter. FT % shouldn’t be ignored. He lacks 3 point range.

Don't use Marcus as a comparison here. His biggest downfall is that he continues to take 3s even on nights when he is woeful from that range. Rondo doesn't do that. Livingston never does that.
Smart can’t shoot.
Thus his value is in defense and toughness.
MCW doesn’t have to shoot to have a role in the NBA.
The kid has never played more than 70 games in a season and in fact only played atleast 60 games in 1 season which was his rookie year.
He needs to not get hurt to develop.

Last edited:
I’lm sticking to...he’s a good mid range shooter. FT % shouldn’t be ignored. He lacks 3 point range.

So even though the numbers say he is a tad below the average from midrange you’ll say he’s good. Makes sense.

So even though the numbers say he is a tad below the average from midrange you’ll say he’s good. Makes sense.

Pretty sure the numbers posted above say he’s above average from there? Barea was the below average one?

You’re saying the guy who is 50% from the field and 80% from the line is a terrible shooter. Makes sense.

I think it just depends on defining it, he's 45% career from 10-16, 39% from 16-23. League average is 41.5% from 10-16 feet, and 40% from 16-23.

Pretty sure the numbers posted above say he’s above average from there? Barea was the below average one?

You’re saying the guy who is 50% from the field and 80% from the line is a terrible shooter. Makes sense.

Is Deandre Jordan a good shooter? By your logic he is, he shoots well above 50% from the field.

I’m not saying Livingston is trash, but the fact he’s being called a good shooter is beyond laughable.

Is Deandre Jordan a good shooter? By your logic he is, he shoots well above 50% from the field.

I’m not saying Livingston is trash, but the fact he’s being called a good shooter is beyond laughable.

But we know Jordan doesn’t shoot anything but layups/dunks. And he’s below 50% from the FT line.

I think FT% is important to look at with something like this. Like Josh Pace was a perimeter player with a good field goal %...and a bad FT %. And watching him, we know most of his hoops were on layups, or floater type shots - which he weirdly could make from further out than most.

Watching Livingston...he hits a lot of mid range jumpers and is 80% from the line. I mean...he can shoot, just not from deep.

Pretty much everyone but you is saying Livingston is a good mid-range shooter. We are all qualifying it. You are the one who keeps saying shooter, implying 3 pointers, which all of us concede is not his strength.

You guys can argue all day about Livingston, I’d take him on my team all day long. He knows his role, plays within himself, and is a good team player.

We'd all take him too except twothree who thinks we're all implying he's going to light someone up from 3 lol. Good shooter, not a great range shooter

Pretty much everyone but you is saying Livingston is a good mid-range shooter. We are all qualifying it. You are the one who keeps saying shooter, implying 3 pointers, which all of us concede is not his strength.

I’m not implying 3 pointers. He shoots less than 40 percent further than 14 feet, and 0% from 3, I’m not understanding how that’s good, it’s average at best from midrange and he’s awful from 3.

Average + awful = good? Please tell me how it makes sense and I’ll listen.

We'd all take him too except twothree who thinks we're all implying he's going to light someone up from 3 lol. Good shooter, not a great range shooter

I didn’t mention once I thought that’s what you guys are implying, you’re all implying he’s this excellent mid range shooter which he is not and the numbers show he is not.

I’m not implying 3 pointers. He shoots less than 40 percent further than 14 feet, and 0% from 3, I’m not understanding how that’s good, it’s average at best from midrange and he’s awful from 3.

Average + awful = good? Please tell me how it makes sense and I’ll listen.

Please define midrange then. He's shown above as being better than average from 10-16 or whatever that number was. He's in the 100th percentile within 4 feet or something from that article. When he takes a shot inside the 15 foot mark, I expect it will go in. That's why I call him a good mid-range shooter. I guess I mean close range as well, not including the dunks he always gets.

I think it just depends on defining it, he's 45% career from 10-16, 39% from 16-23. League average is 41.5% from 10-16 feet, and 40% from 16-23.
Please define midrange then. He's shown above as being better than average from 10-16 or whatever that number was. He's in the 100th percentile within 4 feet or something from that article. When he takes a shot inside the 15 foot mark, I expect it will go in. That's why I call him a good mid-range shooter. I guess I mean close range as well, not including the dunks he always gets.

The one on top is the one I'm referencing. He's above average. That's not trash.

100th percentile from 4ft and in. 38% from 14ft and out, which is a tad below average.

Don't think you will see MCW on the court much next season IMHO.

100th percentile from 4ft and in. 38% from 14ft and out, which is a tad below average.

So, 14 and out is your issue. Okay. I'm personally of the opinion that 15 feet and beyond is further than the traditional mid-range game, but this is your show.

Let's take a look at some numbers.

Player 1 -

1530823480146.png

Player 2 -

1530823512602.png

Player 1 is obviously our man Shaun. He's very good from 14 in.

Player 2 is Klay Thompson, who I think you might say is a good shooter. Shaun from 14 in is 52.8%, Klay is 54.8%

When you include out to the 19 foot line, Shaun shoots 50.75% and Klay shoots 52.84%. Again, pretty comparable.

FYI, these numbers are from this past season.

So, 14 and out is your issue. Okay. I'm personally of the opinion that 15 feet and beyond is further than the traditional mid-range game, but this is your show.

Let's take a look at some numbers.

Player 1 -

View attachment 132706

Player 2 -

View attachment 132707

Player 1 is obviously our man Shaun. He's very good from 14 in.

Player 2 is Klay Thompson, who I think you might say is a good shooter. Shaun from 14 in is 52.8%, Klay is 54.8%

When you include out to the 19 foot line, Shaun shoots 50.75% and Klay shoots 52.84%. Again, pretty comparable.

FYI, these numbers are from this past season.

So shooting the three doesn’t count towards judging a shooter?

If you don’t include bunnies, from 5-19 feet he’s shooting 44%, it’s really not that good.

Maybe it’s because I judge somebody shooting the ball as somebody shooting it from probably 10 feet out or so.

Josh Pace was probably excellent out to 10 feet or so, but I wouldn’t call him a good shooter.

Most of the guys buckets are 10-15 foot jump-shots. I may have posted a time or two that the guy is 80% from the line too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom