Meanwhile out in SEC country | Syracusefan.com

Meanwhile out in SEC country

CoachO going all-in on the herd immunity angle. :rolleyes:
Sadly, there's zero guarantees that getting it once, makes you immune to getting it again.

Shut it down.
IF you've proven you cannot keep your student-athletes safe, then you no longer are allowed to continue endangering them, and the many others they then may come into contact with.

Sadly, there's zero guarantees that getting it once, makes you immune to getting it again.

Shut it down.
IF you've proven you cannot keep your student-athletes safe, then you no longer are allowed to continue endangering them, and the many others they then may come into contact with.
If keeping kids safe was the standard, then PSU athletics should have down in the ‘70’s.

The craziest thing about the article is that once you test positive, you don’t have to test again for the rest of the season. What if there is a false positive? It is almost better to have all your players get it now so they won’t miss games later, but no way an SEC team would do that on purpose they are a bunch of clean programs.

My physician just told me last week that herd immunity is not by any means a guarantee.

Ed is a guy who doesn't seem like a deep thinker and a believer of science so this isn't surprising he would provide this type of rube update.
I love Eddie O, and I desperately wanted him to be our coach, but a scientist he is not. Does he have an excellent recipe for cigarette-flavored gator gumbo? Probably. Is he in a position to give non-voodoo-based medical advice? LOL, no.

Shut it down.
You can’t keep athletes safe. You can’t keep students safe. You can’t keep anyone safe. You can only minimize the risk.

You can’t keep athletes safe. You can’t keep students safe. You can’t keep anyone safe. You can only minimize the risk.
As an aside, how great is the B10 going to look for bringing football back while SEC schools are actively being overrun by the virus? (See Alabama students ... and probably players ... and see LSU players).

**And I’m 95% sure the B10 will bring football back soon. Ohio State wants their chance to get infected, nobody goes to Nebraska for the education, Penn State has never cared about either safety or human lives, and Michigan’s chancellor has “run out of political capital.”

Last edited:
As an aside, how great is the B10 going to look for bringing football back while SEC schools are actively being overrun by the virus? (See Alabama students ... and probably players ... and see LSU students).

**And I’m 95% sure the B10 will bring football back soon. Ohio State wants their chance to get infected, nobody goes to Nebraska for the education, Penn State has never cared about safety or human lives, and Michigan’s chancellor has “run out of political capital.”
And Rutgers hasn't lost a football game by less than 3 touchdowns in almost a year. It's time.

And Rutgers hasn't lost a football game by less than 3 touchdowns in almost a year. It's time.
Actually, I think this might go down as the best year for RU athletics since 1900. Their attendance isn’t embarrassing, and they’ve yet to get blown out in football. With luck, they’ll be able to “take a moral high road“ through basketball season, too. Maybe they’ll be able to field a <insert the most irrelevant spring sport that they can find here> to cash in on Penn State/Ohio State/Michigan’s sweet BTN money.

Sports getting cancelled but the conference technically still existing is their Super Bowl.

I don't know... the CDC stats show that 195 males 17-24 have died from Covid. No idea how many have had Covid. 250k? 500k? regardless the risk at that age is low. As long as they aren't turning around and hanging out with their grandparents I think they'll be okay. Yes there will be outliers. No different than those strange cases when a player has a heart attack on the field out of nowhere and it turns out they had a hole in their heart. No less tragic. Lets not pretend these young men are at significant risk. I don't have the binge drinking or vehicle accident records at hand but I would venture they are more at risk of dying drinking on the weekend or driving home from the stadium than they are of dying from Covid.

I don't know... the CDC stats show that 195 males 17-24 have died from Covid. No idea how many have had Covid. 250k? 500k? regardless the risk at that age is low. As long as they aren't turning around and hanging out with their grandparents I think they'll be okay. Yes there will be outliers. No different than those strange cases when a player has a heart attack on the field out of nowhere and it turns out they had a hole in their heart. No less tragic. Lets not pretend these young men are at significant risk. I don't have the binge drinking or vehicle accident records at hand but I would venture they are more at risk of dying drinking on the weekend or driving home from the stadium than they are of dying from Covid.

Stop trying to make sense about this! Few listeners here...

CDC Update as of 9/11 the Hospitalization rate from Covid was 166/100,000...why haven't you heard about hospitalizations lately? Because that means in 7 months we've suffered 544,000 hospitalizations in a country of 326m people.

And while that sounds scary, it is not as bad as the 700-950k that are "annually" hospitalized during the 4-5 month Flu season every year.

Those waiting for a vaccine to live are wrong; there will be no polio-like vaccine, this is a disease that resides largely in the epithelial layer of the Respiratory system, there will not be a complete vaccine cover. BUT, it's also not as dangerous as initially believed or as untreatable.

Be smart but let people live and play. A "Case" is not the right metric, but it's a terrific media scare tactic.

I think the issue is more the butterfly effects than the risk of death. It’s my understanding that this disease likely causes significant organ damage in both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

I’m no doctor, but I can imagine a world where 20 somethings turn into 50 somethings in 30 years, and I can see where the effects of severe organ damage might manifest then in the form of “strange and weird” heart, lungs, and who knows what else failures.

Looking at this disease through a lens of just immediate mortality is myopic.

Shut it down.
Is this LSU informing future opponents to postpone?

I think the issue is more the butterfly effects than the risk of death. It’s my understanding that this disease likely causes significant organ damage in both symptomatic and asymptomatic cases.

I’m no doctor, but I can imagine a world where 20 somethings turn into 50 somethings in 30 years, and I can see where the effects of severe organ damage might manifest then in the form of “strange and weird” heart, lungs, and who knows what else failures.

Well if that is the case then we should just lock down our existence until 2-3 years after a vaccine just to make sure the the vaccine is effective and limit the possibility that maybe some people have long term effects from covid. Every ailment can have long lasting permanent effects. I guess I would rather be myopic than dystopic in my view and enjoy life while I have it.

Well if that is the case then we should just lock down our existence until 2-3 years after a vaccine just to make sure the the vaccine is effective and limit the possibility that maybe some people have long term effects from covid. Every ailment can have long lasting permanent effects. I guess I would rather be myopic than dystopic in my view and enjoy life while I have it.

Yeah forget that, I am going to live my life at this point.

Too much has come out showing that it’s not nearly as dangerous and contagious as once thought.

I believe the mortality rate is .26% now no? With no treatment and no vaccine.

The flu is .1%-.3% with a treatment and a vaccine.

There is a reason more people haven’t come out that have had it with all these lasting effects

Is the virus real? 100% Is it as bad as the media is portraying it? Absolutely not.

I hope people who pushed the covid fear nonsense get outed and ridiculed for it. You need to grow up and stop trying to cause a societal collapse because you like working from home and don't want to commute. Insinuating that college kids are going to break into a nursing home after a frat party is ridiculous.

might not make you immune but your body usually will adapt to something the 2nd time around and put up a better defense.

this disease likely causes significant organ damage? Where did you get that from?

CDC Update as of 9/11 the Hospitalization rate from Covid was 166/100,000...why haven't you heard about hospitalizations lately? Because that means in 7 months we've suffered 544,000 hospitalizations in a country of 326m people.

And while that sounds scary, it is not as bad as the 700-950k that are "annually" hospitalized during the 4-5 month Flu season every year.

Those waiting for a vaccine to live are wrong; there will be no polio-like vaccine, this is a disease that resides largely in the epithelial layer of the Respiratory system, there will not be a complete vaccine cover. BUT, it's also not as dangerous as initially believed or as untreatable.

Be smart but let people live and play. A "Case" is not the right metric, but it's a terrific media scare tactic.
This sounds like you've been watching fox news.

and every flu season people social distance and wear masks everywhere they go.

does it kill everything it touches? Nope. Is it way worse than the flu by probably a factor of 10? Yep.

can we make incremental changes in a smart manner that follows the epidemiology of the disease and go forward or pull back if need be based on data and not magical thinking? We should.

some areas were very close to being overwhelmed just like New York if changes didn’t happen when they did. And when you overwhelm the system the death rate goes up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom