Meathead Dazzler | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Meathead Dazzler

I for one have never understood the negative obsession with Steve on this board, other than that he is our close competitor.

I honestly think it's mostly based on how he looks. He just has that Principal Strickland in Back to the Future appearance and mannerisms that gives people a negative visceral reaction. Whereas Dino is the exact opposite, he's someone you want to hug.

I honestly think it's mostly based on how he looks. He just has that Principal Strickland in Back to the Future appearance and mannerisms that gives people a negative visceral reaction. Whereas Dino is the exact opposite, he's someone you want to hug.
This does check out. I want to get yelled at by Addasio for being a slacker whilst simultaneously being hugged by Babers.

You’re either a Dude or you’re not!
And, as we all know, ...

Yepp. And on the flip side, there are sometimes only "everyone gets a trophy" options. Kids that want to compete are often left thinking the sport is completely stupid(my son.)

Somewhere, the balance between having fun and still competing is missing. It's either play with kids that suck, or play with kids whose parents are delusional enough to think their kid is going pro.
If you want to play certain sports at a high level, "travel" teams, for lack of a better term, are the only way to go.
For me, soccer is the reference point. No college cares about your high school team, because high school soccer stinks.
What club do you play for is the 1st question.
Do you play academy is the 2nd.
Some other sports are much the same. Tennis is one. No one cares about high school. Colleges want to know your USTA ranking. You get that by traveling to tournaments. Crew? What are your erg scores. Swimming, what are your times? That's all improved upon outside of school.
The pressure for $ for college drives most of this. College shouldn't cost what it does. The need is artificially inflated by the notion everyone should go to college. The cost is artificially inflated by guaranteed student loans, and this bizarre concept that parents must pay the expense of their adult children.

Last edited:
If you want to play certain sports at a high level, "travel" teams, for lack of a better term, are the only way to go.
For me, soccer is the reference point. No college cares about your high school team, because high school soccer stinks.
Some other sports are much the same. Tennis is one. No one cares about high school. Colleges want to know your USTA ranking. You get that by traveling to tournaments. Crew? What are your erg scores. Swimming, what are your times? That's all improved upon outside of school.
The pressure for $ for college drives most of this. College shouldn't cost what it does. The need is artificially inflated by the notion everyone should go to college. The cost is artificially inflated by guaranteed student loans, and this bizarre concept that parents must pay the expense of their adult children.
High school matters in NJ. Where are you talking about. Lax, soccer were both important to the next level. Maybe I’m old and out of touch. I also played club, or “travel”. That mattered more to the high school coaches.

High school matters in NJ. Where are you talking about. Lax, soccer were both important to the next level. Maybe I’m old and out of touch. I also played club, or “travel”. That mattered more to the high school coaches.
Soccer. The don't care about HS.
Heck. Best advice I had for my youngest, don't even go to group camps, just on campus camps.
My son got his spot (goalie, Manhattan College) that way, without the coaches seeing him in a real game.

Last edited:
Heck. Best advice I had for my youngest, don't even go to group camps, just on campus camps.
My son got his spot (goalie, Manhattan College) that way, without the coaches seeing him in a real game.

True... much more time efficient to spend the weekend watching academy or club players at a tournament. See more players in less time with fewer evenings traveling.

I guess I’m old. I played with and against some of the best players this country has produced to now. Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, John Harkes were all my summer camp counselors at Walt and Gene Chyzowych’s All American and Bob Reasso’s Rutgers soccer camps. Bob Bradley, then the Princeton coach would stop in at All America. Steve Studley, Claudio Reyna, Gregg Berhalter (currently US coach) were high school competitors. Timo Likowski was a neighbor as was Johan Neeskens of the original Cosmos. Rick Davis would run clinics with my club team. Tim Howard signed his MLS contract in my buddy’s car. Alexi Lalas dated another buddy’s sister while at Rutgers. Soccer was just everywhere.

My travel team teammates played at various places including Manhattan. Travel just didn’t matter as long as you did it.

High School teams were equal or more important. As with football, Catholic schools recruited, but other than St. Benedict’s who dominated, public high school was on par. The only club team that really mattered was Manny Schellscheidt’s Union Lancers. Manny left to coach Seton Hall right around the time I enrolled at Syracuse. I was lightly recruited but I don’t remember anyone ever asking about my club team. I made SU’s team as a walk on, but my course load kept me from playing (and my heart wasn’t in it anymore). Syracuse did a terrible job of recruiting NJ.

1. Yeah, I don’t like any of the coaches we play against in our division, all deserve ridicule (except Dabo, I guess)

2. Being an assistant here 20+ years ago doesn’t inoculate you from criticism - especially when the thread is based on a players opinion

3. Most P5 coaches with as many years as HC as the Dazzler are “good” at their jobs. Dino is a better HC without the “old school” treatment of players. Again, worth criticizing.

4. Dino is 2-1 vs Addazzio. So was Shafer. So in the last 6 games vs us - the Dazzler is 2-4.

Oh, the thread is based on "a players (sic) opinion." On Twitter no less. Important stuff.

When I referred to a negative obsession, I didn't realize this was the one and only negative Steve Addazio thread.

Maybe time to grow up, no?

Let's take care of our stuff, and we'll see what Addazio does.

I guess I’m old. I played with and against some of the best players this country has produced to now. Tony Meola, Tab Ramos, John Harkes were all my summer camp counselors at Walt and Gene Chyzowych’s All American and Bob Reasso’s Rutgers soccer camps. Bob Bradley, then the Princeton coach would stop in at All America. Steve Studley, Claudio Reyna, Gregg Berhalter (currently US coach) were high school competitors. Timo Likowski was a neighbor as was Johan Neeskens of the original Cosmos. Rick Davis would run clinics with my club team. Tim Howard signed his MLS contract in my buddy’s car. Alexi Lalas dated another buddy’s sister while at Rutgers. Soccer was just everywhere.

My travel team teammates played at various places including Manhattan. Travel just didn’t matter as long as you did it.

High School teams were equal or more important. As with football, Catholic schools recruited, but other than St. Benedict’s who dominated, public high school was on par. The only club team that really mattered was Manny Schellscheidt’s Union Lancers. Manny left to coach Seton Hall right around the time I enrolled at Syracuse. I was lightly recruited but I don’t remember anyone ever asking about my club team. I made SU’s team as a walk on, but my course load kept me from playing (and my heart wasn’t in it anymore). Syracuse did a terrible job of recruiting NJ.

Soccer and the youth development system in this country is a sordid mess with all the pay-to-play travel teams and the priority of monetizing the system over developing the best talent.

And the fed is an incompetent mess. Even tho we've finally developed a sustainable pro league, the benefits we should be seeing in developing our own country's talent pool are not being realized. Don Garber will tell you otherwise, but the proof is in the results (or lack thereof). MLS has successfully helped other concacaf national teams improve, but the US - not really. The 2002 USMNT is still the high water mark for team talent and that was almost 20 years ago now.

Anyways, offtopic soccer rant over. LOL.

Oh, the thread is based on "a players (sic) opinion." On Twitter no less. Important stuff.

When I referred to a negative obsession, I didn't realize this was the one and only negative Steve Addazio thread.

Maybe time to grow up, no?

Let's take care of our stuff, and we'll see what Addazio does.

Lol

You asked the question, I answered.

This does check out. I want to get yelled at by Addasio for being a slacker whilst simultaneously being hugged by Babers.
Now let me give you a nickel's worth of free advice, young man. This so called Dino Babers is very dangerous.

Soccer and the youth development system in this country is a sordid mess with all the pay-to-play travel teams and the priority of monetizing the system over developing the best talent.

And the fed is an incompetent mess. Even tho we've finally developed a sustainable pro league, the benefits we should be seeing in developing our own country's talent pool are not being realized. Don Garber will tell you otherwise, but the proof is in the results (or lack thereof). MLS has successfully helped other concacaf national teams improve, but the US - not really. The 2002 USMNT is still the high water mark for team talent and that was almost 20 years ago now.

Anyways, offtopic soccer rant over. LOL.

Who pays for that "development" system? The US is not 1970-80's USSR or modern day China where the government is heavily involved in sports programs, nor should it be.

Plus, the argument doesn't stand up when you look at the women's side - we have arguably the best women's program in history and it uses the same pay-to-play travel systems as the men's. Where we have a difference with most countries is the popularity of the sport. Football, basketball and baseball still dominate the landscape and still pull the most talented kids at the elementary level. Soccer is still not a big deal in Texas other than a "spring" activity, but even then 7-on-7 Spring football leagues are growing leaps and bounds, again pulling the more talented kids away from soccer. Years ago, there were proclamations on this very board that stated soccer would overtake football in 10 years. 3-4 more years before that deadline approaches, and it's still not close to taking over football.

I'd send my kids to that stuff, if they wanted to. But to get $$ for college? Goodness no. They're kids. They want to get better? Absolutely.

There are 9.9 schollies available for D1 soccer. Is that about 2 kids a year,(per school)that get a scholly?

Last edited:
Who pays for that "development" system? The US is not 1970-80's USSR or modern day China where the government is heavily involved in sports programs, nor should it be.

Plus, the argument doesn't stand up when you look at the women's side - we have arguably the best women's program in history and it uses the same pay-to-play travel systems as the men's. Where we have a difference with most countries is the popularity of the sport. Football, basketball and baseball still dominate the landscape and still pull the most talented kids at the elementary level. Soccer is still not a big deal in Texas other than a "spring" activity, but even then 7-on-7 Spring football leagues are growing leaps and bounds, again pulling the more talented kids away from soccer. Years ago, there were proclamations on this very board that stated soccer would overtake football in 10 years. 3-4 more years before that deadline approaches, and it's still not close to taking over football.

Who pays for the development system?

If you want to compete, you need to do it at a national level. Look no further than Spain and Germany, who have overhauled their entire development approaches over a decade+ and are now reaping the results.

Pay to play is simply not a viable system to find and develop the best talent and compete consistently against countries that employ far better development systems.

The problem is, the pay to play club circuits in soccer are the gatekeepers to the next level of development in the US. If you are an inner city youth and an elite athlete, how do you get on a pay to play elite club team in the US?

Barring an exception to the rule, you don't.

If you are playing American Football however, the gatekeepers are in the college space and no rock goes unturned to find elite athletes to develop and move forward. Inner city elite athletes are a huge part of the development system for the sport, and rightly so.

Also, comparing women to men in this regard is apples and oranges. The women certainly do not have a behemoth competitor sport like American football that finds and develops elite athletic talent better. We have a pay disparity between the sexes without a doubt, but the development resources department, we are fairly equitable. That's not so elsewhere in the world (to the US women's benefit.)

Last edited:
Who pays for the development system?

If you want to compete, you need to do it at a national level. Look no further than Spain and Germany, who have overhauled their entire development approaches over a decade+ and are now reaping the results.

Pay to play is simply not a viable system to find and develop the best talent and compete consistently against countries that employ far better development systems.

The problem is, the pay to play club circuits in soccer are the gatekeepers to the next level of development in the US. If you are an inner city youth and an elite athlete, how do you get on a pay to play elite club team in the US?

Barring an exception to the rule, you don't.

If you are playing American Football however, the gatekeepers are in the college space and no rock goes unturned to find elite athletes to develop and move forward.

Also, comparing women to men in this regard apples and oranges. The women certainly do not have a behemoth competitor sport like American football that finds and develops elite athletic talent better. We have a pay disparity between the s e xes without a doubt, but the development resources department, we are fairly equitable. That's not so elsewhere in the world (to the US women's benefit.s

Your last paragraph is my point.

I would also argue that these Pay to play clubs do a lot of recruiting and they find a way to pay for kids that can't afford it. Maybe not 100% of the time, but more often than not.

Your last paragraph is my point.

I would also argue that these Pay to play clubs do a lot of recruiting and they find a way to pay for kids that can't afford it. Maybe not 100% of the time, but more often than not.

It's the exception rather than the rule, and that's the root of the problem.

The MLS dev academies are a step in the right direction, but given the size of our country, they are few and far between.

It's the exception rather than the rule, and that's the root of the problem.

The MLS dev academies are a step in the right direction, but given the size of our country, they are few and far between.

I don't agree with it being the exception to the rule. As someone was involved on a board of a youth sports organization for years, one thing parents do is prioritize sports, and they or their coaches find ways to pay for participation. We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom