Meathead Football | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Meathead Football

Might be true for some WR recruits - otherwise not. We have meathead recruits in the commit list at OL, TE, the RB Dixon, and our QB commit is a DUAL who is a clone of BC's Brown. Not as differentiated in recruiting as you suggest.
What we want is to beat them and get to a bowl or two, soon.
I propose that if our recruits were meatheads, they would have selected another school.

Pfft. We can look down on it now.

It's to our benefit that BC is Northeast meathead, and we want them to be just good enough at it that they stick with it. That way we aren't competing for recruits and we both have differentiated identities.
The only problem is BC has bigger stronger faster players than us across the board. They could be playing wing T and still beat us.

I agree is that the year we had almost beat Tennessee in the dome. If it is, yeah we had 6-7 1st round picks but we also had a head coach that always played safe and never took chances which I guess is meathead football. I guess ur kinda right. Ok so I wanna do what philly and the rams do then
Tennessee was '98. '97 was probably a better team with Darius and Jones at safety. I think 98's offense was better.

I remember that season.

It was awful having to watch that team! Ugh!

I remember sitting in Sun Devil Stadium, horrified that I had to be there - hoping for better football.

We couldn't score that season - we weren't exciting to watch.

Yuck!

Thank god we haven't had seasons like one in years!
It's too bad we had no seasons like that after '98.

Eh, they've got a really good running back.

They beat us by 28 in our stadium...

BC literally had better players at every position on the field except WR and maybe a couple other guys.

They beat us by 28 in our stadium...

BC literally had better players at every position on the field except WR and maybe a couple other guys.
Yeah, I don't care. We've beaten them, recently.

This is part of the meathead mystique I guess. People are forgetting that the Dazzler was on a hot seat getting warmer, fans hated him and the program, and were bemoaning the future.

Then he goes 7 and 5 (and that's the meathead ceiling, folks) and loses a bowl and our fans are quaking in their boots.

I don't get the meathead allure. Meat cleaves unto meat, I guess.

Yeah, I don't care. We've beaten them, recently.

This is part of the meathead mystique I guess. People are forgetting that the Dazzler was on a hot seat getting warmer, fans hated him and the program, and were bemoaning the future.

Then he goes 7 and 5 (and that's the meathead ceiling, folks) and loses a bowl and our fans are quaking in their boots.

I don't get the meathead allure. Meat cleaves unto meat, I guess.

"Our fans are quaking in their boots"... A bit of a flair for the dramatic there.

The only thing I stated was their roster is much better than a freshman RB. Your entire immature response was confusing. It's like your responding to someone/something else, but quoting my post.

"Our fans are quaking in their boots"... A bit of a flair for the dramatic there.

The only thing I stated was their roster is much better than a freshman RB. Your entire immature response was confusing. It's like your responding to someone/something else, but quoting my post.
That's true. My post is more antimeathead than a response to your post.

Eh, they've got a really good running back.
Also very good freshman QB that was out, freshman WR and alot of others coming back. They have been building a stockpile of solid players and next year should do very well. In fairness, we had 2nd the 3rd stringers out there but they spanked us. We will need Dungey and alot of others healthy to beat them next year.

Recently I YouTubed the 97 Fiesta Bowl versus Kansas State. That team had more talent on it than any Syracuse team in the last 10 years combined and still couldn’t muster more than 8-9 wins. Something like 6-7 first round draft picks on that team.

Point being is that system/mentality limited the potential of that team and many others. Stubbornness to change.
I'd be in prison now if I were at that game. I have never, ever, seen so much blatant pass interference from the KSU "cover guys" as in that game. It burns me to this day.

Big FU to the refs in that one, today and forever.

I think it’s more that we choked away the NC State and Oklahoma games early in the season. They won 9. Coulda/shoulda been 11. That offense was pretty dynamic for the majority of that season.
Fair point but that era had several teams that had a similar outcome every year. The year before they started out 0-2 after being a preseason top 10 team. Then of course came 1998 where they finished 8-4 with same level of talent and McNabb as a senior.

I agree part of it was “choking” but the majority of it was the result of a system that simply wasn’t good enough. It was an outdated system that favored conservatism and had an ignorance that the tougher you were the better you were. In addition those teams were always riddled with boneheaded penalties and turnovers at the most ridiculous moments.

I remember that season.

It was awful having to watch that team! Ugh!

I remember sitting in Sun Devil Stadium, horrified that I had to be there - hoping for better football.

We couldn't score that season - we weren't exciting to watch.

Yuck!

Thank god we haven't had seasons like one in years!
Well, good thing then you didn’t waste your time the next year at the Orange Bowl. We got embarrassed that year as well by a team whose QB had more success on the Bachelor than he did playing QB.

I get it, we are splitting hairs here. But it’s really a simple point. That era had more draft picks on it than any Syracuse era since the formation of the National Football League.

If you equated season wins per number of draft picks per team, would be very interested to see where that Syracuse 1997 team stands up. Would bet we would be below the national average.

Well, good thing then you didn’t waste your time the next year at the Orange Bowl. We got embarrassed that year as well by a team whose QB had more success on the Bachelor than he did playing QB.

I get it, we are splitting hairs here. But it’s really a simple point. That era had more draft picks on it than any Syracuse era since the formation of the National Football League.

If you equated season wins per number of draft picks per team, would be very interested to see where that Syracuse 1997 team stands up. Would bet we would be below the national average.

We should’ve beaten NC State, Oklahoma, and Minnesota in those years, for sure.

Those Kansas State and Florida teams were really good.

Calling other teams "meatheads" is what loser fans do when they're sitting home watching other teams playing in bowl games.

It sounds like something I would read on the Rutgers board. Yay, if you want to hang your hat on a 4-12 season because our offensive stats on paper look really cool.

Hopefully we'll start winning games on a regular basis and a lot of the meathead loser mentality people have won't matter anymore.

Calling other teams "meatheads" is what loser fans do when they're sitting home watching other teams playing in bowl games.

It sounds like something I would read on the Rutgers board. Yay, if you want to hang your hat on a 4-12 season because our offensive stats on paper look really cool.

Hopefully we'll start winning games on a regular basis and a lot of the meathead loser mentality people have won't matter anymore.

Naw. It’s about style of play. You can prefer one over the other without glancing at w/l records.

Yeah, that Florida team also had the best defensive player of his era - Jevon Kearse - who almost single handedly dominated our offense.

Sorry, but it's a stupid discussion.

We had great years - we played exciting football and we went to fun bowl games.

One would think that the last 13 years or so would sober up some of the fans of this program - one would think that they would finally figure out just how good we had it back then.

And enough about how many draft picks we had in those days.

McNabb was a great player and so was Keith Bulluck. But our OL was only okay and did not produce any significant pros. The reality is that we were a very good team and had talent, but we did not have the overall kind of talent that many presume we had.

Regardless, the complaints are stupid - sorry. I would give anything to once again have the kind of Program we had back then.

Naw. It’s about style of play. You can prefer one over the other without glancing at w/l records.

I’ve seriously been thinking for weeks now that you had me on “ignore”. It’s nice to know that’s not true.

Yeah, that Florida team also had the best defensive player of his era - Jevon Kearse - who almost single handedly dominated our offense.

One would think that the last 13 years or so would sober up some of the fans of this program - one would think that they would finally figure out just how good we had it back then.

McNabb was a great player and so was Keith Bulluck. But our OL was only okay and did not produce any significant pros. The reality is that we were a very good team and had talent, but we did not have the overall kind of talent that many presume we had.

Regardless, the complaints are stupid - sorry. I would give anything to once again have the kind of Program we had back then.

If you want to talk about a coach who could outperform with so-so talent and have no idea what to do with superior talent, that was P.

Sad. He gave us some nice years, but his firing was well deserved.

The hiring of a total boob to replace him doesn't change that.

I'd be in prison now if I were at that game. I have never, ever, seen so much blatant pass interference from the KSU "cover guys" as in that game. It burns me to this day.

Big FU to the refs in that one, today and forever.

Not only was there a “bad officiating” thread after every game this year but now it has to be dredged up about a game 20 years ago?!!

It’s really not but if it makes you feel better to label it as “stupid” than so be it. It was an attempt to take off the orange-tinted glasses for a second and discuss a style of football that did some very good things for this program but in my opinion also constrained the potential and talent that this program had for many years. Good luck to BC in trying to recreate it.

You think it's going to stop once we're winning? If anything it's going to increase because we'll be able to be all kinds of self righteous about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseVegas

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom