Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!! | Syracusefan.com

Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!!

sportsline has it too.

suckazz...

awesome news. some guys just belong in orange/orange&blue. now get rid of that amare contract to some tank job like philly and bring in Pau and give him a legit chance to win this year.

"Hey Melo - we're in NYC and once Amare and Bargnani's AWFUL contracts expire next year, we will get you help - have no fear, the Zen Master is here."

this offsets the Tanaka MRI.

and remember folks, you all are shut out of entry to the Knick bandwagon and will remain OFF in perpetuality.

believing this Melo to the bulls nonsense.

ridiculous...

And this means he chose money over legacy, if the knicks can't get some really good pieces he will probably never see a championship other than the one he won for cuse.

As a Knicks fan I'm obviously happy with this, and think that it was in Melo's best interest to stay with the Knicks. As its been discussed in multiple threads NY is in a much better position right now then the Lakers, it would have been disappointing to say the least if he had gone there.

This is unbelievable from Darren Rovell Melo will sign a 5 yr 129 million dollar contract with the NYK after paying federal, state, city taxes Melo will only gross 66.5 million of that 129 million. Holy crap the rich pay a lot in taxes that is nuts he will only see 66.5 of that 129 barely more than half.

And this means he chose money over legacy, if the knicks can't get some really good pieces he will probably never see a championship other than the one he won for cuse.

This does not mean he chose money over legacy. Even if the Knicks can't get the pieces this season, they have pretty much nobody guaranteed beyond next season and have plenty of money to throw around. Melo is in a good spot.

Not the best place to "win", but it's the only place he can become a legend. I like it.
Kinda sounds like an all or nothing proposition. Does he become a legend without the winning?

As a Knicks fan I'm obviously happy with this, and think that it was in Melo's best interest to stay with the Knicks. As its been discussed in multiple threads NY is in a much better position right now then the Lakers, it would have been disappointing to say the least if he had gone there.
But those weren't his only options. The Bulls are in a better position than both. They're already a great team with a great coach only lacking a scorer. The Knicks are a bad team with an unknown quantity at coach and a former great coach who is unproven in the front office. They have the potential to bring in a lot of help, but far from a sure thing at this point. If Phil doesn't get that team together in a hurry, Melo's window is gonna close. At 30, he's not old yet, but by the end of this contract he will be.

Basically ZenMaster needed to shut his piehole and talk of "we'll be OK with or without him and he'd better give back some money or he isn't a team guy" crap. Which he recently did (stop). I think Melo will allow some cap room but he isn't going to do it with Jackson running his mouth to the press.

Last edited:
But those weren't his only options. The Bulls are in a better position than both. They're already a great team with a great coach only lacking a scorer. The Knicks are a bad team with an unknown quantity at coach and a former great coach who is unproven in the front office. They have the potential to bring in a lot of help, but far from a sure thing at this point. If Phil doesn't get that team together in a hurry, Melo's window is gonna close. At 30, he's not old yet, but by the end of this contract he will be.
From everything I have read this free agency it seemed like the bulls were a long shot because they couldn't offer near the amount of money that the Knicks or lakers could, so at the end of the day they really weren't an option, and I don't blame Melo at all for taking a max contract, and the fact that if he does win a championship in New York he would be exalted.

championships are nice, but that max contract is tough to turn down, especially when he gets an extra year at the end that other offers couldn't give him. Getting max dollars at age 36 or 37 is an incentive that the bargaining unit put in to protect teams from losing all their star players….

This is unbelievable from Darren Rovell Melo will sign a 5 yr 129 million dollar contract with the NYK after paying federal, state, city taxes Melo will only gross 66.5 million of that 129 million. Holy crap the rich pay a lot in taxes that is nuts he will only see 66.5 of that 129 barely more than half.
the left says not enough

People keep saying the Bulls were the best place for him to go to win a championship. Sure - if D Rose was an MVP candidate again. But he has barely played in 2 years due to serious injuries. And Noah is coming off an injury - albeit not nearly as serious as the ones Rose incurred. To me, going to Chicago would have been a huge gamble for Melo as well - if D Rose is never again the same player, Melo never would have won a championship in Chicago. He may never in NY but at least he and his family love living there and he has a champion running the team.

Woj from Yahoo is reporting that he's been told Melo will likely take the 5 year $129 million deal from New York, and THEN he will decide where he wants to play later. Basically saying Melo will take the money now, and that he can always ask for a trade down the line. So that's fun.

Melo took the max and in the process ensured the Knicks will win nothing of significance for the forseeable future.
The NBA putting MAX's on player salaries while the freaking Bucks get sold for 600 million and the Clippers getting sold for 2 Billion is a joke. The NBA needs the NFL franchise tag type system and in exchange players can be paid what they can negotiate with teams. Lebron should be able to command 30 million a year if he can get it. I swear to god if the NBAPA lawyers weren't idiots instead of Billy Hunter's entire family sucking on the NBAPA like vampires this league wouldN't be dominated by billionaire owners who have completely suppressed the NBA players badly.

isola isn't reliable at all with regards to breaking news so lets wait for a more solid confirm

Melo won't take a MAX contract with the Knicks. If he does the NY media will kill him for years. For those who don't follow the Knicks Melo said all season after damn near every game when asked that he puts winning over money at this stage in his career and he would take less. That's why Phil Jackson OFFERED him the max...he knows if Melo leaves, then nothing he could do Melo left Phil offered the most $$ he could. IF Melo takes a max deal then it looks terrible for Melo and the media will eat him up. I would be surprised if Melo takes a max deal. I bet he takes a little less knowing its in his best interest and the teams best interest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom