Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!! | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!!

Melo is not taking a max deal.

Him and Lebron will be paid equally as they lead the Knicks to 4 straight Championships.

I told you all to stay scared little haters months ago.

I hope you all are preparing...

this offsets the Tanaka MRI.

and remember folks, you all are shut out of entry to the Knick bandwagon and will remain OFF in perpetuality.

believing this Melo to the bulls nonsense.

ridiculous...
Just for that:

The Knicks are a horribly run organization that, if melo decides to stay, will do nothing for him other than be an easy first round out for the 1 or 2 seed in the east. Melo will spend the next 5 years doing his best impersonation of a piñata for the whiney ny media.

Of course if they turn into a title contender I'll be the first one to grab a NYK melo jersey. And there's nothing you can do about it.

NBA players worth the MAX shouldn't let these ahole greedy owners suppress them from taking money they are worth. Fans pay to see Carmelo Anthony and Lebron James not coaches who don't have salary caps or role players like JR Smith. Melo will take 5 yr 129 or something really close to that like 120 or 125 because he is worth it.

This is unbelievable from Darren Rovell Melo will sign a 5 yr 129 million dollar contract with the NYK after paying federal, state, city taxes Melo will only gross 66.5 million of that 129 million. Holy crap the rich pay a lot in taxes that is nuts he will only see 66.5 of that 129 barely more than half.
He keeps a lot less than 50%: add in; sales tax, property tax and capital gains tax on his investments. And the libs say that the rich do not pay their fair share.

Best OP in a long time, if it holds true. The only thing that would surpass it for me is something with Jones/Bryant/Battle/Murray in the title.

This is unbelievable from Darren Rovell Melo will sign a 5 yr 129 million dollar contract with the NYK after paying federal, state, city taxes Melo will only gross 66.5 million of that 129 million. Holy crap the rich pay a lot in taxes that is nuts he will only see 66.5 of that 129 barely more than half.

That can't be true, according to Obama the rich still don't pay enough to carry the rest of us.

People keep saying the Bulls were the best place for him to go to win a championship. Sure - if D Rose was an MVP candidate again. But he has barely played in 2 years due to serious injuries. And Noah is coming off an injury - albeit not nearly as serious as the ones Rose incurred. To me, going to Chicago would have been a huge gamble for Melo as well - if D Rose is never again the same player, Melo never would have won a championship in Chicago. He may never in NY but at least he and his family love living there and he has a champion running the team.

Rose makes Wade look like Lou Gehrig.

Congrats to the Knicks and since Melo is a chucker they have to go after Hernandez now for some locker room bonding.

From everything I have read this free agency it seemed like the bulls were a long shot because they couldn't offer near the amount of money that the Knicks or lakers could, so at the end of the day they really weren't an option, and I don't blame Melo at all for taking a max contract, and the fact that if he does win a championship in New York he would be exalted.
I don't blame him at all. It just shows where his priorities lie. If winning is the number one priority, he goes to Chicago. It's the best situation for that, and it's not even close. If he wants the money, he stays with the Knicks. Maybe Phil can give him both, but as the team sits right now they aren't close to contending, and if he takes the max deal, it makes it that much harder to put enough around him.

If a guy wants to make as much money as he possibly can, more power to him. If a professional athlete really wants to win, at some point he decides he has enough (and everyone knows he has enough to keep his kids, grand kids, and great grand kids wealthy), and takes a few less million to be in the best situation for winning. Let's attach a little perspective here. It's not like people are suggesting he take the league minimum (still over $1 million, by the way). If he went to Chicago, or some other contender that needs a superstar scorer to put them over the top, he would still make more in one year than 99% of the population will make in their lives. Do you think Tim Duncan ever says, "Man I wish I had given up a few championships so I could've made a few more million dollars. My life would be so much better if I had?"

The value of a franchise is essentially based on cash flows that will be generated by the team from TV, media contracts, ticket sales, merchandising etc. But another value is that which is determined by the players which play on that team. When you hear of ridiculous stupid money like 2 billion dollars floated around for sorry a$$ teams like the Clippers who haven't won anything the NBA has pretty big ones to have salary caps for players which are miniscule in comparison with the money the franchise and the NBA rakes in.

The players who have opted out this year should get together and find a city (let's just say Syracuse for instance) which has a large capacity venue, form their own team, and thumb to the nose to the NBA. I'm sure they could all agree on a name... "The Nationals" has a particularly nice ring to it and in light of the fact that they would be coming to form the team from all over the Nation...it only make sense. Melo could then have his homecoming, LeBron would be close enough to Cleveland that he could essentially commute to home games at the dome.

I just can't figure out why all this hand wringing and wild speculation is even necessary when such sensible options are available.

He keeps a lot less than 50%: add in; sales tax, property tax and capital gains tax on his investments. And the libs say that the rich do not pay their fair share.
Of course, this is all before the various tax shelters are used to hide money. I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw a list of people that make more than a million per year and how much they pay in income tax. Everyone on the list paid less than 30%, some less than 20%.

I don't blame him at all. It just shows where his priorities lie. If winning is the number one priority, he goes to Chicago. It's the best situation for that, and it's not even close. If he wants the money, he stays with the Knicks. Maybe Phil can give him both, but as the team sits right now they aren't close to contending, and if he takes the max deal, it makes it that much harder to put enough around him.

If a guy wants to make as much money as he possibly can, more power to him. If a professional athlete really wants to win, at some point he decides he has enough (and everyone knows he has enough to keep his kids, grand kids, and great grand kids wealthy), and takes a few less million to be in the best situation for winning. Let's attach a little perspective here. It's not like people are suggesting he take the league minimum (still over $1 million, by the way). If he went to Chicago, or some other contender that needs a superstar scorer to put them over the top, he would still make more in one year than 99% of the population will make in their lives. Do you think Tim Duncan ever says, "Man I wish I had given up a few championships so I could've made a few more million dollars. My life would be so much better if I had?"

But even if Melo wanted to win, why should he sacrifice somewhere around $60 million to go to a team that probably still isn't the favorite to win the title with him? The Bulls are his best chance to win a title next year, but he'd be going to a situation much like when he originally went to New York, where he'd be pairing up with a super star teammate that has been battling a ton of injuries. That team isn't going to win a title without Derrick Rose playing at a high level.

For me, I would not want to take about half the money to go to a team where there's a solid chance you end up getting stuck playing with another Amare. Assuming the Heat with LeBron are not an option, Melo's best two options to win are Phoenix and New York. Phoenix because they have a ridiculous amount of assets that they could use to put together a contender very quickly, and New York because if Melo can be patient for one more year, they'll have the cap space to put a team around him. There's no slam dunk "sign with us and you will be a champion" option for him.

If Rose doesn't come back healthy and another starter gets hurt in Chicago, Melo loses a helluva lot of money plus not being on the coast. I just don't see the Chicago situation being a slam dunk by any means either and to me it has more of a possibility of failing than winning championships.

Darren Rovell is a good reporter.
But if Melo is truly "paying" that much in taxes he needs to find another accountant right away.

Meanwhile...another nice little stat from Darren Rovell:
@darrenrovell: $314,634: Melo's average PER GAME salary over 5 years if he takes the Knicks max.”

Darren Rovell is a good reporter.
But if Melo is truly "paying" that much in taxes he needs to find another accountant right away.

Meanwhile...another nice little stat from Darren Rovell:
@darrenrovell: $314,634: Melo's average PER GAME salary over 5 years if he takes the Knicks max.”
Not sure ANY ACCOUNTANT CAN CHANGE THIS.

As a resident of New York City, Anthony would pay a top state tax rate of 8.82% and an additional 3.876% NYC tax on all of his contract earnings. That’s over 12.6% in state and city tax Anthony will pay on a $129 million deal, shaving over $16.25 million off the top and reducing the pre-federal tax value of the max contract to $112.75 million. Of course, Anthony’s estimated annual endorsement earnings of $8 million would also be subject to this 12.6% state and city tax.

Take 12.6% for state and city taxes, and returning to NY would net Anthony $87.4 million before federal taxes without the Bush tax breaks would reduce the 87.4 million down to 69 million after the federal government got their cut.

My point is these athletes probably gross half of whatever they sign for because of taxes unless they sign in Florida or Texas.

Last edited:
Rose is an issue, but the Bulls have been pretty good without him. Not sure they need Rose playing like an MVP to win the title, I would think they need a healthy Rose though. Noah is a fantastic player. The coach is great.

But he wasn't going there without a sign and trade. No way to turn down that much cash.

Even without Rose, the Bulls would be the best set of players Melo has ever played around. Maybe you could argue his first season or 2 with the nuggets but Melo was not able to lead a team at that time. But he has been surround by garbage, Noah would immediately be the best player he has ever played with.

Even without Rose, the Bulls would be the best set of players Melo has ever played around. Maybe you could argue his first season or 2 with the nuggets but Melo was not able to lead a team at that time. But he has been surround by garbage, Noah would immediately be the best player he has ever played with.

Best player and Thibs is the best coach too.

Agreed, and that defensive philosophy installed around him would also be great for him. Maybe he plays better defense or at least he has players around him to cover up for his deficiencies. I think that would be a great place for him, but I am happy he is sticking around in NY. Im glad he's not running from a place he wanted to bring a championship to.

But even if Melo wanted to win, why should he sacrifice somewhere around $60 million to go to a team that probably still isn't the favorite to win the title with him? The Bulls are his best chance to win a title next year, but he'd be going to a situation much like when he originally went to New York, where he'd be pairing up with a super star teammate that has been battling a ton of injuries. That team isn't going to win a title without Derrick Rose playing at a high level.

For me, I would not want to take about half the money to go to a team where there's a solid chance you end up getting stuck playing with another Amare. Assuming the Heat with LeBron are not an option, Melo's best two options to win are Phoenix and New York. Phoenix because they have a ridiculous amount of assets that they could use to put together a contender very quickly, and New York because if Melo can be patient for one more year, they'll have the cap space to put a team around him. There's no slam dunk "sign with us and you will be a champion" option for him.
I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Chicago has much more without Rose than he has ever had anywhere else. They won 48 games and were a 4 seed without Rose because they're a legitimate team with a great coach. With Melo, or some other elite scorer, they would've been a championship contending team this year. If Rose can come back healthy, he's icing on the cake. Also, Rose is different than Amare. Amare was always overrated and was made to look better than he was because of the system he played in while in Phoenix playing with Nash in his prime. Rose has been an MVP while carrying a team before.

In my mind "sacrificing" $60 million doesn't enter my mind. At some point more money doesn't make you're life any better. How many houses or cars or boats does someone need to be happy? People take less pay for a more favorable work environment all of the time and they're not all millionaires. There's a point where the money merely becomes about saying you can get it. If he's playing the game for the money, than take the max deal and don't pretend the end goal is winning. If he's playing the game to win, take the pay cut and go where you can win, or take a sizable pay cut with the Knicks so Phil can put a team around you. That's was the big 3 did in Miami, and that's what a number of players have done in San Antonio, including Duncan. If he were to win a championship elsewhere, who's to say he wouldn't make up the money with increased marketing potential, and that would also potentially last beyond his playing career.

Not sure ANY ACCOUNTANT CAN CHANGE THIS.

As a resident of New York City, Anthony would pay a top state tax rate of 8.82% and an additional 3.876% NYC tax on all of his contract earnings. That’s over 12.6% in state and city tax Anthony will pay on a $129 million deal, shaving over $16.25 million off the top and reducing the pre-federal tax value of the max contract to $112.75 million. Of course, Anthony’s estimated annual endorsement earnings of $8 million would also be subject to this 12.6% state and city tax.

Take 12.6% for state and city taxes, and returning to NY would net Anthony $87.4 million before federal taxes without the Bush tax breaks would reduce the 87.4 million down to 69 million after the federal government got their cut.

My point is these athletes probably gross half of whatever they sign for because of taxes unless they sign in Florida or Texas.

You are assuming a flat tax on his gross income. The tax is based on his Adjusted Gross Income which is after all of his deductions. AMT will be an issue and his taxes are certainly high, but you can't just simply apply the tax rate to his base salary.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. Chicago has much more without Rose than he has ever had anywhere else. They won 48 games and were a 4 seed without Rose because they're a legitimate team with a great coach. With Melo, or some other elite scorer, they would've been a championship contending team this year. If Rose can come back healthy, he's icing on the cake. Also, Rose is different than Amare. Amare was always overrated and was made to look better than he was because of the system he played in while in Phoenix playing with Nash in his prime. Rose has been an MVP while carrying a team before.

In my mind "sacrificing" $60 million doesn't enter my mind. At some point more money doesn't make you're life any better. How many houses or cars or boats does someone need to be happy? People take less pay for a more favorable work environment all of the time and they're not all millionaires. There's a point where the money merely becomes about saying you can get it. If he's playing the game for the money, than take the max deal and don't pretend the end goal is winning. If he's playing the game to win, take the pay cut and go where you can win, or take a sizable pay cut with the Knicks so Phil can put a team around you. That's was the big 3 did in Miami, and that's what a number of players have done in San Antonio, including Duncan. If he were to win a championship elsewhere, who's to say he wouldn't make up the money with increased marketing potential, and that would also potentially last beyond his playing career.

I agree to an extent on the money thing, but giving up 60 million (well not exactly, cause a 4 year deal vs 5) is a huge ask. You can do a lot of good, or a lot of whatever you want, with $60 million. The big 3 gave up money, but nothing like that. And Duncan is making $10 million or so now, but as recently as a few years ago, he was basically making a max salary.

I've been on Melo to take less money to help the Knicks, but I don't think you can reasonably expect someone to take that kind of cut.

People forget that Carmelo choosing NY isn't all about the money or Phil. It's clear the man's dream is to win a title AND win that title in NY.

Can't fault someone for chasing their dreams.

well then the Knicks will just have to find somebody better than noah, shouldnt be too hard with all the $$ they will have free soon.

staying a Knick:

was the best way for Melo to earn $$. both in contract & endorsements.
was the best way for Melo to get the right players around him.
was the best way for Melo to torpedo other teams hopes and dreams.
was the best way for Melo to stamp his career as a someone. he can be a 'Knick' for life.
was the best way for Melo to win a Championship as the man...and be a LEGEND for life.

pretty simple stuff.

I'm not disagreeing that Chicago would be the best team he's played with. But that doesn't mean that they're the best team in the league. There's no reason for Melo to take half the money he could get in New York to be in the mix for the top 3 teams in the East. If you're taking half the money, you better be going to a team that you know would be the best in the league, which would only be the case if he went to a Heat team that had LeBron.

And I would absolutely be petrified of going to Chicago to rely on Rose's knee after he pretty much hasn't played for 2 years now. Noah is a good player, but a team of Kirk Hinrich (just an example of the type of PG they'd likely have if Rose goes down yet again), Jimmy Butler, Melo, Gibson (if he's still with the team), and Joakim Noah is not going to be a favorite to come out of East. He'd be relying way too much on a guy that's played 49 games over the past 3 years combined.

That can't be true, according to Obama the rich still don't pay enough to carry the rest of us.

Bunch of whiny righties on here complaining about potential taxes paid by a multi-millionaire. Melo and the rest should be glad they live now and can keep as much of their money as they do instead of just 28 years ago or so.

and let's not pretend like Melo doesn't have some darn good accountants that will be able to shield a healthy amount of that money from the greedy paws of Obama and the rest of the govt.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom