Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!! | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!!

Bunch of whiny righties on here complaining about potential taxes paid by a multi-millionaire. Melo and the rest should be glad they live now and can keep as much of their money as they do instead of just 28 years ago or so.

and let's not pretend like Melo doesn't have some darn good accountants that will be able to shield a healthy amount of that money from the greedy paws of Obama and the rest of the govt.

You make it sound like there is money laundering going on. I think they should shield their money; it is their money. It use to be the American way to work hard for your money, now the American way is to sit on your @$$ and let uncle Sam give you everything.

Of course, this is all before the various tax shelters are used to hide money. I don't remember where I saw it, but I saw a list of people that make more than a million per year and how much they pay in income tax. Everyone on the list paid less than 30%, some less than 20%.
There is a common misconception about tax shelters. People like Warren Buffet, and even common millionaires, derive most of their earnings on paper from capital gains. They are taxed at say 30% on their capital gains. What the libs do not realize is that: capital gains are derived from expenditures of after tax earnings. In order words, capital gains tax is double taxation, no different than if the government decided that anyone that buys a boat with their own money should be singled out for an additional 30% tax. Furthermore, the gvt does not pay the taxpayer that has a capital loss. Its a one way street.

Another hidden tax is the corporate income tax. Corporations pay the tax by passing it on to their customers. When all is said and done, we have an out of control government. Politicians are in the business of bribing voters and voters accept the bribe. We are in a viscous cycle, no different from the one that wrecked Rome, Latin America, Greece, Italy, Spain, France and other basket cases.

As far as actual tax shelters: there are muni bonds, but their return is less than inflation. Buying a farm is a good way to go.

I agree to an extent on the money thing, but giving up 60 million (well not exactly, cause a 4 year deal vs 5) is a huge ask. You can do a lot of good, or a lot of whatever you want, with $60 million. The big 3 gave up money, but nothing like that. And Duncan is making $10 million or so now, but as recently as a few years ago, he was basically making a max salary.

I've been on Melo to take less money to help the Knicks, but I don't think you can reasonably expect someone to take that kind of cut.
I don't look at it like a cut. I look at it like he'll still be making a crap load of money. It's about priorities. In my profession I can make nearly double if I take a position somewhere else. In the future I may have to do that because of some future expected life changes. I haven't done it yet because I prefer my current work environment. For me, double is significant. For someone that has already made over $100 million, the differences between his current options won't change his life much. $10 million/year versus $20+ million = obscenely wealthy versus more obscenely wealthy. He's already made enough where he and his descendents can live more than comfortably for generations, with some conservative investing.

I just don't think there is an NBA player out there who would turn down 5 years/129 million for 4/64 or whatever Chicago could offer. I get the point, but that's just too much of a drop in salary.

I don't look at it like a cut. I look at it like he'll still be making a crap load of money. It's about priorities. In my profession I can make nearly double if I take a position somewhere else. In the future I may have to do that because of some future expected life changes. I haven't done it yet because I prefer my current work environment. For me, double is significant. For someone that has already made over $100 million, the differences between his current options won't change his life much. $10 million/year versus $20+ million = obscenely wealthy versus more obscenely wealthy. He's already made enough where he and his descendents can live more than comfortably for generations, with some conservative investing.

I look at it like $68 million while having a decent chance at winning an NBA title or $129 million while having a slightly less decent, but still decent chance. Phil is building up the depth of the team while also putting them in a position to sign a max free agent next year. They could easily be just as competitive as Chicago a year from now.

I'm not disagreeing that Chicago would be the best team he's played with. But that doesn't mean that they're the best team in the league. There's no reason for Melo to take half the money he could get in New York to be in the mix for the top 3 teams in the East. If you're taking half the money, you better be going to a team that you know would be the best in the league, which would only be the case if he went to a Heat team that had LeBron.

And I would absolutely be petrified of going to Chicago to rely on Rose's knee after he pretty much hasn't played for 2 years now. Noah is a good player, but a team of Kirk Hinrich (just an example of the type of PG they'd likely have if Rose goes down yet again), Jimmy Butler, Melo, Gibson (if he's still with the team), and Joakim Noah is not going to be a favorite to come out of East. He'd be relying way too much on a guy that's played 49 games over the past 3 years combined.
Of course nothing is guaranteed. The only thing better than Chicago right now would be San Antonio or Miami. Neither of those are going to happen, so how are the Knicks his best option? Chicago has proven they are a very good team without Rose two years in a row now, so he wouldn't be relying on his knee. They have possibly the best coach in the league. Probably the only one better is Pop. If he stays with the Knicks, he has no clue who he's playing with or whether his coach is any good. If he has absolute complete confidence in Phil, then fine, but Chicago right now is a proven entity. It's not as if he has time to play what ifs. At 30, it won't be long before he goes from his prime to old. If the Knicks don't get things right quick, he'll be trying to pull a Clyde Drexler for a championship.

I honestly don't know why everyone is so caught up in the money. We're talking about so much of it, it's unfathomable to really comprehend how much it is. The guy has made so much already, it should be the last consideration. Like I said before, it's not like we're talking about max contract to league minimum. He's going to make an eight figure annual salary wherever he goes. Eight figures. At what point is it enough?

This is unbelievable from Darren Rovell Melo will sign a 5 yr 129 million dollar contract with the NYK after paying federal, state, city taxes Melo will only gross 66.5 million of that 129 million. Holy crap the rich pay a lot in taxes that is nuts he will only see 66.5 of that 129 barely more than half.

One reason many of us have moved out of NY.

They lost in the first round this year and got cur stomped by Miami two years ago in the semis. Is Carmelo really going to put a Derrick Rose less Chicago team over the top?

I look at it like $68 million while having a decent chance at winning an NBA title or $129 million while having a slightly less decent, but still decent chance. Phil is building up the depth of the team while also putting them in a position to sign a max free agent next year. They could easily be just as competitive as Chicago a year from now.
I guess that's where our opinions differ. I think Chicago's chances are much better. The have a proven coach with a great defensive system. All they were missing last year was an elite scorer. New York has a first time coach, not just head coach, and is accumulating players with no clue as to how well the pieces will go together.

There is a common misconception about tax shelters. People like Warren Buffet, and even common millionaires, derive most of their earnings on paper from capital gains. They are taxed at say 30% on their capital gains. What the libs do not realize is that: capital gains are derived from expenditures of after tax earnings. In order words, capital gains tax is double taxation, no different than if the government decided that anyone that buys a boat with their own money should be singled out for an additional 30% tax. Furthermore, the gvt does not pay the taxpayer that has a capital loss. Its a one way street.

Another hidden tax is the corporate income tax. Corporations pay the tax by passing it on to their customers. When all is said and done, we have an out of control government. Politicians are in the business of bribing voters and voters accept the bribe. We are in a viscous cycle, no different from the one that wrecked Rome, Latin America, Greece, Italy, Spain, France and other basket cases.

As far as actual tax shelters: there are muni bonds, but their return is less than inflation. Buying a farm is a good way to go.

Capital gains are taxed at 20%. And if that money, which has been taxed already, is making more money, why shouldn't those gains be taxed?

well then the Knicks will just have to find somebody better than noah, shouldnt be too hard with all the $$ they will have free soon.

staying a Knick:

was the best way for Melo to earn $$. both in contract & endorsements.
was the best way for Melo to get the right players around him.
was the best way for Melo to torpedo other teams hopes and dreams.
was the best way for Melo to stamp his career as a someone. he can be a 'Knick' for life.
was the best way for Melo to win a Championship as the man...and be a LEGEND for life.

pretty simple stuff.
The salary cap is 63 million the Knicks have 12 million committed to 2015 without a qualifying offer to Shumpert. If Carmelo signs for 5 years 129 million that would bring the Knicks cap to 37.5 million and only 26.5 million and that is with only 4 players under contract. The Knicks would have 26.5 million, ZERO full MLE. Carmelo is taking the money from NYK and the Knicks could add MAYBE 1 MAX guy next year but that would leave them with like 8 million dollars for non-NYK free agents and they would need to have 12 guys on the roster.

The salary cap is 63 million the Knicks have 12 million committed to 2015 without a qualifying offer to Shumpert. If Carmelo signs for 5 years 129 million that would bring the Knicks cap to 37.5 million and only 26.5 million and that is with only 4 players under contract. The Knicks would have 26.5 million, ZERO full MLE. Carmelo is taking the money from NYK and the Knicks could add MAYBE 1 MAX guy next year but that would leave them with like 8 million dollars for non-NYK free agents and they would need to have 12 guys on the roster.

The cap in 2015-2016 will likely be higher than it is now, so they're probably looking at around $30 million or so to fill out the rest of the core. They can sign 3 or 4 starting quality players with that money to go with Hardaway, Calderon, Larkin, Early, and Antetokounmpo and then fill the rest with minimum salary guys. They'll also have their own 1st round pick if I'm not mistaken, so they'll be able to get pretty damn good pretty damn fast regardless of whether Melo gets a max contract or not.

What if Lebron told Riley - Look Bosh has to go and Melo has to come in. I assume they could make that money close assuming the release of Cole and the restructure of Dwade

The cap in 2015-2016 will likely be higher than it is now, so they're probably looking at around $30 million or so to fill out the rest of the core. They can sign 3 or 4 starting quality players with that money to go with Hardaway, Calderon, Larkin, Early, and Antetokounmpo and then fill the rest with minimum salary guys. They'll also have their own 1st round pick if I'm not mistaken, so they'll be able to get pretty damn good pretty damn fast regardless of whether Melo gets a max contract or not.
The Knicks are at best the 4th best team in the East next year. Lebron's team, Chicago, Indiana will all be better.

I didn't factor Early or Antetokonumpo into that 26.5 so even if the cap goes up to about 30 million for the Knicks those 2 guys probably eat a million and half so its 28.5 for the Knicks. Carmelo taking the MAX deal from the NYK has ensured he won't win anything in the NBA and the Knicks will be 2nd round playoff team at best.

The Bargs contract JUST KILLS the Knicks. If they needed to just move Stoudmaire I think they could have been a player for these major FAs, but the Bargs contract kills them and they owe Toronto a future first pick for that guy.

The Bargs contract JUST KILLS the Knicks. If they needed to just move Stoudmaire I think they could have been a player for these major FAs, but the Bargs contract kills them and they owe Toronto a future first pick for that guy.
Agree. Hated that trade the moment I heard it. Don't know who in Knicks management was responsible for it but they should have been water boarded.

Rome wasnt built in a day, but rose breaks down everyday.

your boy noah can come to the Knicks in '16.

chicago = a 2014 joke of a choice.

Phil Jackson & Carmelo Anthony...

WINNING

The Knicks are at best the 4th best team in the East next year. Lebron's team, Chicago, Indiana will all be better.

I didn't factor Early or Antetokonumpo into that 26.5 so even if the cap goes up to about 30 million for the Knicks those 2 guys probably eat a million and half so its 28.5 for the Knicks. Carmelo taking the MAX deal from the NYK has ensured he won't win anything in the NBA and the Knicks will be 2nd round playoff team at best.

I don't see any chance that New York is the 4th best team in the East this upcoming year. They'll be fighting for a bottom half seed and end up with a pick in the 14-20 range to add another piece to the roster. So they'll have Melo, Calderon, Prigioni, Larkin, Hardaway, Early, Antetokounmpo, possibly Shumpert and JR Smith, and then have around $30 million to spend.

Free agents next year include:

PG: Rondo, Brandon Knight, Reggie Jackson, Dragic, Tony Parker (doubt he'd leave, but who knows?)
SG: Klay Thompson, Monta Ellis, Danny Green, Arron Afflalo, Alec Burks, Wesley Mathews
SF: Jeff Green, Rudy Gay, Jimmy Butler, Tobias Harris, Kawhi Leonard (but I'd imagine San Antonio will match a max contract), Thaddeus Young
PF: Carlos Boozer, Kenneth Faried, Kevin Love (if he isn't traded and signed long-term first), Derrick Williams, Amare, Paul Millsap, LaMarcus Aldridge (who says he'll resign right now, but is going to wait a year, so who knows?)
C: Marc Gasol, Omer Asik, DeAndre Jordan, Robin Lopez, Nikola Vucevic, Enes Kanter

So they could realistic go into the 2015-2016 season with a roster of:

PG: Calderon, Larkin, Pablo
SG: Afflalo, Shumpert, Hardaway, Antetokounmpo
SF: Melo, Early
PF: Kevin Love
C: Omer Asik, Dakari Johnson (or potentially something like Millsap, Gasol, and Bobby Portis instead of Love, Asik, and Dakari)

Fill the rest of the roster with some filler and you have a pretty damn good team, with a pretty good ceiling depending on how Shumpert, Hardaway, Antetokounmpo, and Larkin develop. That team doesn't really look any worse than a Chicago team if Rose isn't in the picture.

It would take a minor miracle for that team to beat whatever team LeBron is on, but that will be the case no matter where Melo goes, but Love and Gasol would both be amazing fits in the triangle, and at least one of them will be attainable next year. Afflalo would also be a great fit, and Millsap and Asik would fit great with Gasol and Love respectively.

Not gonna copy and paste the whole link, but do you think they could sign Asik/Love/Afflalo for $30 million? That seems incredibly optimistic. Also I think at least some of those guys you mentioned are restricted FA, which pretty much takes them off the table. (also, LOL Amare. I know you were just listing guys) But I think all the guys in your projected lineup are unrestricted FA. Next year is Love's 7th year in the NBA, so if I'm reading the salary cap FAQ correctly, he can sign for a max of 30% of the cap, which should be right around $20 million. That leaves you $10 million for Afflalo and Asik. Not happening. Doubt you could sign Asik and Love.

They also have a first rounder next year, which unless they trade it, will have a cap hold. And they would have to make Jr disappear.

i dont see why the Knicks wouldnt win the Atlantic?? whos better brooklyn?? certainly not philly or boston. so i guess everyone is afraid of the big bad raptors. wait...

please.

the central is now the group of death with clev, indy and a soon to be obsolete chicago.

the southeast doesnt scare anyone.

NYK: the new destination spot for FA's...

Hadn't at down and done the math, but Lowe has the Knicks with as much as $23 million in cap space netx year, but more likely $17, with the hol don Shump.

Hadn't at down and done the math, but Lowe has the Knicks with as much as $23 million in cap space netx year, but more likely $17, with the hol don Shump.
i have zero problem getting rid of shump.

not sure why some like to look at him like a golden egg just waiting to hatch.

Not gonna copy and paste the whole link, but do you think they could sign Asik/Love/Afflalo for $30 million? That seems incredibly optimistic. Also I think at least some of those guys you mentioned are restricted FA, which pretty much takes them off the table. (also, LOL Amare. I know you were just listing guys) But I think all the guys in your projected lineup are unrestricted FA. Next year is Love's 7th year in the NBA, so if I'm reading the salary cap FAQ correctly, he can sign for a max of 30% of the cap, which should be right around $20 million. That leaves you $10 million for Afflalo and Asik. Not happening. Doubt you could sign Asik and Love.

They also have a first rounder next year, which unless they trade it, will have a cap hold. And they would have to make Jr disappear.

Ah, I totally forgot about Afflalo once I started thinking about PF/C combos lol. Woops.

And this means he chose money over legacy, if the knicks can't get some really good pieces he will probably never see a championship other than the one he won for cuse.
Or it might just mean he's choosing to play in the city he most wants play in and live in and raise his family.

As for his legacy, that's pretty secure as is, with an NCAA championship and an NBA career that already makes him a lock for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Or it might just mean he's choosing to play in the city he most wants play in and live in and raise his family.

As for his legacy, that's pretty secure as is, with an NCAA championship and an NBA career that already makes him a lock for the Basketball Hall of Fame.

Unless he wins an NBA title, I think his legacy is gonna be as one of those guys like Dominique or George Gervin. Fair or not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom