Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!! | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Melo Stays with the Knicks !!!!

lol at Noah and Howard and George as better than melo. U mustn't watch much nba

Not ready to make the argument for George yet. Noah and Dwight? There is certainly an argument there. The Dwight Howard from 5 years ago was definitely better, not sure about the Dwight Howard right now. Noah is a great great player, but if I think Melo is somewhere at the end of the top 10, do I really have Noah in my top 10? Not sure. Incredibly versatile big man though.

Melo is on pace to make the HoF. How much better do you want him to be? 7x all star. 6x on all nba 2nd or 3rd teams. Scoring champ. 2x gold medalist.

He is as good as his reputation. His career averages are 25, 6.5 and 3. With his career highs in rebounds and minutes coming this past year. He's never had a year where he averaged under 20 ppg.

He isn't LeBron or Durant, but anyone with any sense already knows that.

Yes, Paul George is better than him at defense, point taken. But Melo far outpaces him on the offensive end. It's not like Paul George is LeBron or Durant.

Of course you can argue the point as to who is better, but not by the fact that Melo is overrated. He is a max player. He is an offensive force, especially in the half court. He is on pace to make the HoF. He changed his style of play to focus on rebounding and was conditioned to play extra minutes because the team needed it.
Assuming he doesn't at some point decide to behead James Dolan, Melo is a certain Hall of Famer.

You people arguing with me caused me to call my guy Bill Simmons and he said he would do my work for me.

BTW, Simmons likes SU because he grew up in Boston hated Georgetown and Ewing and loves the Dome is filled for bball.

http://grantland.com/features/carmelo-anthony-new-york-knicks-legacy/

Did you read the article? Simmons says Melo can win a title as the best player on a team, that he's never really played for a good coach, or on a good team, which doesn't seem to be supporting your claims at all. He's also making the case that Melo was a better player last year and the Knicks were so all-time bad that they failed to make the playoffs.

Russell Westbrook is NOT better than Carmelo Anthony. He runs faster and jumps higher. That's about it.

Agree completely. Melo's numbers are better except for assists, but Melo doesn't have a KD to occasionally pass to. (yes, the occasionally was intentional because I think Westbrook is a bit too selfish as a PG type)

Russell Westbrook is NOT better than Carmelo Anthony. He runs faster and jumps higher. That's about it.
We can agree to disagree I can say no more.

Because you have no logical argument?
Listen, I respect you as a poster your a rational mind and not a bomb thrower, but I just posted I am sick of having to defend my opinion which is legit, but may be unpopular.

He is a quick reason for why I would take Westbrook over Melo and honestly you can disagree and be right, but I don't want to debate anymore.

Westbrook WAY BETTER defender.
PG more valuable than SF I value great PGs as its the 2nd most important position behind Cs.
Westbrook 5 years younger
Melo slightly better scorer, but Westbrook can score.
Westbrook better player in the playoffs.

You can like Melo more and thats a fine opinion, but me having Westbrook above Melo isn't crazy. If I put somebody like Goran Dragic fine I am nuts, but Westbrook has shown a lot and has been crazy good.

Listen, I respect you as a poster your a rational mind and not a bomb thrower, but I just posted I am sick of having to defend my opinion which is legit, but may be unpopular.

He is a quick reason for why I would take Westbrook over Melo and honestly you can disagree and be right, but I don't want to debate anymore.

Westbrook WAY BETTER defender.
PG more valuable than SF I value great PGs as its the 2nd most important position behind Cs.
Westbrook 5 years younger
Melo slightly better scorer, but Westbrook can score.
Westbrook better player in the playoffs.

You can like Melo more and thats a fine opinion, but me having Westbrook above Melo isn't crazy. If I put somebody like Goran Dragic fine I am nuts, but Westbrook has shown a lot and has been crazy good.

I'll give you the better defender. No argument there at all.

I see your point about PGs, but he's not a great PG. He's a great scoring PG, but not a great facilitator.

Can't argue the being younger, but I thought this was about right now, this past year. Melo was better this year.

Westbrook can score, but he can also destroy the offensive flow (I know, Melo suffers from this as well, but he is the ONLY option on the Knicks) in a way that a point guard should never do. Maybe it's the system, but he looks for himself too often for my standards. And in bad situations - no one under the basket to try and get a board or someone else open.

About the playoffs, maybe, but I thought Westbrook was pretty bad in this year's playoffs. Especially against the Spurs.

lol at Noah and Howard and George as better than melo. U mustn't watch much nba

I'd probably take all 3 guys over Melo too, and I like Melo a lot. But Howard and George are better 2-way players than Melo, and Noah is a great leader that probably wouldn't command a max contract, so you could build a team around him a little easier.

Westbrook is a very polarizing player among fans, but I think most NBA personnel would take Westbrook over Melo when you factor in age. I definitely would.

I'll give you the better defender. No argument there at all.

I see your point about PGs, but he's not a great PG. He's a great scoring PG, but not a great facilitator.

Can't argue the being younger, but I thought this was about right now, this past year. Melo was better this year.

Westbrook can score, but he can also destroy the offensive flow (I know, Melo suffers from this as well, but he is the ONLY option on the Knicks) in a way that a point guard should never do. Maybe it's the system, but he looks for himself too often for my standards. And in bad situations - no one under the basket to try and get a board or someone else open.

About the playoffs, maybe, but I thought Westbrook was pretty bad in this year's playoffs. Especially against the Spurs.

This argument when it comes to Westbrook bugs me. I cut Melo slack because as you pointed out, he was pretty much the only option for the Knicks this year, but there's also been times like in the playoffs the year the Knicks had the 2 seed where he just flat out refuses to pass. I know his teammates ended up struggling in the playoffs that year too, but so did Melo, and he just couldn't bring himself to pass the ball at all. It was embarrassing.

Regarding Westbrook, he, in my opinion, has a similar predicament. Yes, he has Durant, which is obviously gigantic, but after that, he really doesn't have anything. Ibaka has started to come into his own, but he disappears far too often to be a #3 option on a title contender, and after Ibaka, there's just nobody there. OKC starts two guys that can't even effectively catch passes and lay them in. Perkins makes last year's Tyson Chandler look like Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, and Thabo Sefolosha makes JR/Shumpert look like Reggie Miller. People argue all the time that OKC needs to trade Westbrook for a distributor like Rondo, but Westbrook's offense is a huge part of that team. Without him, that team would turn into a slightly better version of this year's Knicks. They'd get destroyed in the West. And with the way that Durant continues to disappear for long stretches in the playoffs, it really kinda forces Westbrook to go into his shot-happy mode much like we see Melo do. If OKC had better shooters or scorers, I think we'd see a different Westbrook. He's a very gifted passer, and has great court vision, but he takes on a huge chunk of the scoring load because of the makeup of OKC.

Westbrook is a very polarizing player among fans, but I think most NBA personnel would take Westbrook over Melo when you factor in age. I definitely would.

That's not what we're talking about though. We're talking about who is better.

And I like Westbrook, he's a very good player.

I've noticed a lot of people seem to brush off the difference in scoring 21-22 per game and 27-28 per game when comparing players to Melo(George is another). That's a significant difference.

Melancer46 said:

Trade Melo for Westbrook straight up and OKC is no worse, maybe better while the Knicks have the most ping pong balls in the drum.

Trade Melo for Westbrook straight up and OKC is no worse, maybe better while the Knicks have the most ping pong balls in the drum.

Eh, I don't think that's really fair to say since we've never seen Westbrook as the #1 option. But simply swapping players doesn't really mean anything about who is better than who. OKC would be okay because they still have a backup PG capable of starting, whereas losing Melo would mean Cleanthony Early has to start for the Knicks. That's a huge difference. But I also don't think that would work in OKC. They'd be a tiny team assuming you'd try rolling out Ibaka at center and Melo at PF. I'm not sure if that would really work, especially in the playoffs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom