Melo traded to OKC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Melo traded to OKC

Knicks fans are going to LOVE how awful Enes is on defense.

I mean, there's nobody in the East so it maybe doesn't matter, but it's amazing how awful he is.

He will fit right in.

Blow up the conferences. The talent disparity between East and West is absurd.
It really is at an unreal disparity. If you go by ESPN's player rankings that they just published, 8 of the top 10 players are in the west as well as 21 of the top 30.

For comparison's sake The 10th through 15th players out West are KAT, PG, Gobert, Jokic, and Davis. In the East you have Embiid, Isaiah, Kemba, Middleton, and Myles Turner. Now this isn't the most precise way to measure the talent difference, but I think it proves the point that this is the most unbalanced the conferences have been in a very long time.

Russ, Melo, George with Adams and Grant and their other complementary pieces will give OKC all they want. Should be really entertaining. I don't agree with the idea that their is s big cap between them and GSW.

Knicks fans are going to LOVE how awful Enes is on defense.

I mean, there's nobody in the East so it maybe doesn't matter, but it's amazing how awful he is.
It's a bit shocking how little the Knicks got for Melo.

That may be an indication of several things:
how much the Knicks wanted him gone...
how limited their options were...
how poor the Knicks' front office & ownership is...
or even how relatively little Melo is valued by other teams.

Enes Canter is questionable at best.
The Knicks have a potential center of the future in Hernangomez.

Doug McDermott is a nice role player but isn't making a franchise.

Overall...good for Melo.
Sad for the Knicks.

Unfortunately I wouldn't be surprised if Jerami became trade fodder in OKC pursuit to beat GSW.
Hmm. He's on a really good contract though. They might not be able to get better value for the money.

On the flip side, what kind of crazy stealth off-season has OKC had?

Picked Melo and George pennies on the dollar. Perfectly timed free agency to land Patterson on a great contract.

I mean, they don't have much of a bench, but geez, that's an interesting team. How does Billy Donovan feel right now? And this keeps Melo away from Houston and Portland.

On the flip side, what kind of crazy stealth off-season has OKC had?

Picked Melo and George pennies on the dollar. Perfectly timed free agency to land Patterson on a great contract.

I mean, they don't have much of a bench, but geez, that's an interesting team. How does Billy Donovan feel right now? And this keeps Melo away from Houston and Portland.

Added Melo and George while the best thing they gave up was Oladipo. And no first round picks lost right? Great job by Presti to scrap together a potential contender at least for a year so quickly after KD left. Will be interesting to see how those 3 play together. I will be rooting for them!

Last edited:
Added Melo and George while the best thing they have up was Oladipo. And no first round picks lost right? Great job by Presti to scrap together a potential contender at least for a year so quickly after KD left. Will be interesting to see how those 3 play together. I will be rooting for them!
Sam Presti looks like a genius with this off-season's moves. Now they only need to win on the court to prove him right.

Sam Presti looks like a genius with this off-season's moves. Now they only need to win on the court to prove him right.

Yup. He did his part. Now Donovan and the players themselves gotta go make it work. Lots of firepower on paper, hopefully they can quickly develop chemistry.

Congratulations to Melo. He left the undeserving and dysfunctional NY Knicks. Melo, Westbrook and Paul George make a very nice core. With Jerami Grant there too, I might just have to become an OKC fan!
T H U N D E R!!!

So happy that Melo was able to get away from that dysfunctional joke of an organization.

No telling how things will work out in OKC, but almost by default it will be better than things were with the Knicks.

I hope it works out best for Melo and the Knicks, but I gotta admit, I see this working out very nicely for Melo and terribly for NY...

It's a bit shocking how little the Knicks got for Melo.

That may be an indication of several things:
how much the Knicks wanted him gone...
how limited their options were...
how poor the Knicks' front office & ownership is...
or even how relatively little Melo is valued by other teams.

Enes Canter is questionable at best.
The Knicks have a potential center of the future in Hernangomez.

Doug McDermott is a nice role player but isn't making a franchise.

Overall...good for Melo.
Sad for the Knicks.

What would you give up for a 33-year old ISO scorer whose best days are behind him? As a Knicks fan, I'd have loved a first-round pick, but the fact that we didn't take on a lot of extra salary is definitely a plus.

Perhaps Dougie Buckets can morph into Gordon Hayward 2.0.

Except, he won't. He is worse on D then Melo. Best to hope for a Steve Novak like performance.

What would you give up for a 33-year old ISO scorer whose best days are behind him? As a Knicks fan, I'd have loved a first-round pick, but the fact that we didn't take on a lot of extra salary is definitely a plus.

Best days are behind him. He isn't 40. He is not just an ISO scorer.

I think it’s mainly his age and his huge contract which limits who can fit him in financially that drive down his value. Melo holding the cards with a no trade clause also drives down his value. And the way the Knicks handled the whole thing to where they basically had to trade him made it even easier to get him for cheaper. Throw all those factors together and you get why he was available for so cheap.

Has little to nothing to do with “iso scorer” IMO, and I think it’s weird that being gifted at getting buckets has almost been demonized by a lot of fans in recent years.

Best days are behind him. He isn't 40. He is not just an ISO scorer.

Yeah, I mean...he can pretty much still do it all on offense. He’s just not as explosive as he was so he doesn’t finish at the rim as well or get as many easy buckets running the floor or by getting to the line.

But he can still score in a ton of ways and is a capable passer.

Will be interesting to see how they mesh. Melo has been the best player on every basketball team he’s played on, and PG has been Indiana’s best player for at least 5 years...and now they’re both not. I think both have big enough skill sets to where they can fill the roles OKC needs them to fill though.

Yeah, I mean...he can pretty much still do it all on offense. He’s just not as explosive as he was so he doesn’t finish at the rim as well or get as many easy buckets running the floor or by getting to the line.

But he can still score in a ton of ways and is a capable passer.

Will be interesting to see how they mesh. Melo has been the best player on every basketball team he’s played on, and PG has been Indiana’s best player for at least 5 years...and now they’re both not. I think both have big enough skill sets to where they can fill the roles OKC needs them to fill though.

I think we see Olympic team Melo. He even played with George on the ‘16 team.

Great move. I think the only way Melo wins a ring tho is if he joins GSW.
Golden State is a tweaked ankle (Durant, Curry, or Clay) away from parity with the Thunder and Rockets. Long season. Anything can happen.

Golden State is a tweaked ankle (Durant, Curry, or Clay) away from parity with the Thunder and Rockets. Long season. Anything can happen.
Eh... I don't know about that. Those other teams are going to have to gel. The Warriors are about as ready made a nucleus as you can imagine.

Happy that Carmelo landed in a good spot. He carried himself well in NY and gave it his all (just as he had in Denver) but that organization has long been a clownshow and isn't likely to change anytime soon. It was time.

This is a good move for everyone. The Knicks got rid Melo while not having to take on any long term contracts or buying him out. Melo wasn't a great influence on the younger players in NY. Melo with OKC makes them one Warriors injury from the Finals in my opinion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom