Melo traded to OKC | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Melo traded to OKC

I'm a Knicks fan, I'm a Melo fan, but I'm also a fan of the NBA! I'm pumped for both Melo and the League for this move... not so much for the Knicks. Roster makeups are so interesting coming off of this off-season, the Melo deal only adds to that dynamic, I cannot wait to see how the season shakes out. Go get a surprise ring Melo, easily the most talent he's ever been around

Eh... I don't know about that. Those other teams are going to have to gel. The Warriors are about as ready made a nucleus as you can imagine.

Fwiw, when Kevin Durant didn't play last year, the Warriors were +7.4 per 100 possessions. The Spurs were +7.2 points per game last year, the second best point differential in the league. So basically, the Warriors without Kevin Durant were as good as the Spurs.

The amazing thing, is when Steph sat, the Warriors were actually outscored, by .3 points per 100 possessions.

This is a good move for everyone. The Knicks got rid Melo while not having to take on any long term contracts or buying him out. Melo wasn't a great influence on the younger players in NY. Melo with OKC makes them one Warriors injury from the Finals in my opinion.
How was Melo not a good influence on younger players? I don't follow the Knicks really closely.

This is a good move for everyone. The Knicks got rid Melo while not having to take on any long term contracts or buying him out. Melo wasn't a great influence on the younger players in NY. Melo with OKC makes them one Warriors injury from the Finals in my opinion.

Yeah, I’m not sure about that. Young Melo had some rough moments, but he matured into a pretty solid citizen.

It’s a complete waste for team that’s nowhere close to competing to pay $26 million for a 33 year old though. In hindsight, based on the moves they made...Melo resigning in 2014 was a mistake on both sides from a basketball standpoint. From a financial standpoint Melo made a ton of money and gave the Knicks enough credibility to keep putting butts in the seats and gave them a star with name power to market.

How was Melo not a good influence on younger players? I don't follow the Knicks really closely.
As far as I could tell, they respected him and Melo was a fine influence on them. That's just more of the nonsense that was regularly circulated about him.

As far as I could tell, they respected him and Melo was a fine influence on them. That's just more of the nonsense that was regularly circulated about him.

Right. Porzingis seemed to love Melo.

I know Porzingis said publically several times that he hoped they don’t trade Melo and how it would be a lot tougher on him if Melo wasn’t there.
He's about to find out just how tough.

I'm so happy to get to watch Melo on a competitive team again. I think they ultimately end up with the 4 or 5 seed in the West, but it beats the hell out of being on the Knicks, even if it's just for one season.

Next offseason will be so fascinating. Considering the OKC ownership, it's hard to imagine that this trio will be brought back another year.

I'm so happy to get to watch Melo on a competitive team again. I think they ultimately end up with the 4 or 5 seed in the West, but it beats the hell out of being on the Knicks, even if it's just for one season.

Next offseason will be so fascinating. Considering the OKC ownership, it's hard to imagine that this trio will be brought back another year.
I can't invision them being below a 3 seed. Outside of Houston and GSW no one will be better.

Last edited:
I can't invision them being below a 3 seed. Outside of Houston and GSW no one will be better.
There's always San Antonio, and who knows if Portland is still on the uptick.

OKC has a great starting lineup. Adams is legit down low as a scorer, and rim protector. One of the better centers in the league.

Roberson can play D at the 2, and lock down the other teams 2/3. With George, and Melo, then one will have a mismatch.

Russ, who I really dislike but he's obviously great. I think the 3 get along, so that's a start. This is gonna be fun to watch. Wish Melo had this talent around him years ago, but I'll take it.

Presti pulled off a bank robbery this off-season.

It's a bit shocking how little the Knicks got for Melo.

That may be an indication of several things:
how much the Knicks wanted him gone...
how limited their options were...
how poor the Knicks' front office & ownership is...
or even how relatively little Melo is valued by other teams.

Enes Canter is questionable at best.
The Knicks have a potential center of the future in Hernangomez.

Doug McDermott is a nice role player but isn't making a franchise.

Overall...good for Melo.
Sad for the Knicks.
1,2,and 4 on this deal. 3 in terms of overall franchise. Knicks still stink and melo doesn't put OKC in finals.

OKC will be to learn to all play together and establish their identity ... but the wild card in this will be that they will have players highly motivated to do so while wanting to get a chip via this opportunity to play together. That is the only thing missing in Melo's career... having a team which has a legit shot at bringing it home. I agree with JB in that " Melo deserves a chance to win"

As a knicks fan I'm happy for Melo and I'm happy for the Knicks. Melo isn't the only reason to blame for the Knicks woes but he is does carry a large part of the blame. He forced the Knicks to trade for him rather than waiting for free agency so he could make more money which forced the Knicks to gut their roster... He ran D'antoni out of town... he ran Lin out of town (not that Lin was a franchise maker). The biggest problem with the Knicks, at least the last three years, was Jackson who is finally gone. I have no idea if Mills is any good, but he can't be worse than Jackson. Anyways, the Knicks will suck but at least they can finally start over again.

The West is a beast... Warriors are the favorite but the next three teams are all REALLY good: Spurs, Rockets, Thunder. The west semis should be beastly this year.

Odd mix of players. I just don't see it working for them in OKC.

Very happy for Melo to escape the chaotic Knicks and get to a winning team with a good roster. He will have a great season and re-establish himself as a premier player in the league. He is by no means the selfish player the dumb NYK management scapegoated him to be and that will show playing with Westbrook and Paul George.

Odd mix of players. I just don't see it working for them in OKC.
Can you elaborate some. I disagree but respect your opinion. I see them as having a good rim protector center in Adams, an elite defender who can defend the 2/3 in Roberson and I don't think they will need Roberson to score. They will get good scoring and rebounding from both PG and Melo at the 3 and 4. Then they have Russ who is unguardable 1 on 1. They also have Grant and Patterson. They could have more depth but I feel like the roster meshes pretty well.

I know Porzingis said publically several times that he hoped they don’t trade Melo and how it would be a lot tougher on him if Melo wasn’t there.

It's worth mentioning that Porzingis has his own issues with the Knicks. He did skip his end of season exit interview.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom