"Miami can't afford to be left behind." | Syracusefan.com

"Miami can't afford to be left behind."

JimBoston

Scout Team
I listed to Paul Finebaum on Sirius today and one of his guests was Chuck Todd, NBC's White House correspondent and rabid Miami Hurricane fan. His family has had season tickets for decades and he seemed to be on a first name basis with the AD. The above quote is attributed to him.

He said football drives the athletic department at Miami and they have to be proactive to make sure they don't get left out. He worried that as a private school, Miami may not be able to afford to leave the ACC.

Here are some other quotes:

On the ACC's future: "I'm panicked as a fan. Can Miami afford the exit fee and get invited with FSU? Having those two in the Big 12 could anchor the East."

"I would like to see FSU and the Canes act as one on this and I hope FSU doesn't act alone."

There is a lot of smoke out there and a lot of worried fans.

Awesome, what has Burt Reynolds said?!

Oy.

They left themselves behind with all their self inflicted issues imo.

If FSU and Miami were the FSU and Miami of the 1990s, the ACC would be perceived to be a great football conference. Unfortunately, they haven't been and the ACC performance on the field has been worse than the Big East in recent times. But, here we are and what do the football focused teams do?

I thought Todd's comments exemplified the concerns of the football schools in the ACC from someone that has someone that is knowledgeable.

Personally, I don't think Miami is going anywhere as I think Shalala is more committed to Miami's academic reputation than it's football team.

I listed to Paul Finebaum on Sirius today and one of his guests was Chuck Todd, NBC's White House correspondent and rabid Miami Hurricane fan. His family has had season tickets for decades and he seemed to be on a first name basis with the AD. The above quote is attributed to him.

He said football drives the athletic department at Miami and they have to be proactive to make sure they don't get left out. He worried that as a private school, Miami may not be able to afford to leave the ACC.

On the ACC's future: "I'm panicked as a fan. Can Miami afford the exit fee and get invited with FSU? Having those two in the Big 12 could anchor the East."

"I would like to see FSU and the Canes act as one on this and I hope FSU doesn't act alone."

I can honestly understand any school having their eyes and ears open for greater opportunities. However, if Miami somehow jumps ship and truly causes an implosion of the ACC, they are picture perfect of everything wrong with the current state of the NCAA.

Miami's jump from The Big East arguably sent that conference into the spiral it is currently in. Then, upon arrival in the ACC, the 'Canes basically have been mediocre at best. Had they reverted to their "U" days or something anywhere close, one would think the ACC would have been propelled towards the top of the power conferences (also assuming any type of anticipated production from Va. Tech and FSU).

Instead, their program has not carried anything. Their scandal only deepened their hole and now they are considering moving leading to a possible TKO of another conference ? Unreal...If they are trying to figure out why they (and the ACC) are in the position that they are currently in, I hope there are a lot of mirrors around.

SUOrange44

If FSU and Miami were the FSU and Miami of the 1990s, the ACC would be perceived to be a great football conference. Unfortunately, they haven't been and the ACC performance on the field has been worse than the Big East in recent times. But, here we are and what do the football focused teams do?

I thought Todd's comments exemplified the concerns of the football schools in the ACC from someone that has someone that is knowledgeable.

Personally, I don't think Miami is going anywhere as I think Shalala is more committed to Miami's academic reputation than it's football team.

Chuck Todd is a smart guy but to label him as "knowledgeable" when it comes to the topic of college football expansion is quite a reach.

He's just a fan who happens to be a big twitter guy. Which isn't a good thing if you are a fan of an ACC school and you are predisposed to believe rumors from people whose job it is to spread baseless rumors.

Little disappointing to see a guy like him fall for it so quickly but what are you gonna do.

I would think that the last thing the SEC wants would be for the B12 to pick up Miami and FSU. The B12 would then overlap SEC territory. From where I sit, the SEC would want the ACC to be just what it is now, with the B12 being the unstable conference. Yet the actions of the SEC seem to contradict that view.

Only thing Miami needs to do is work on getting their reputation back.

This Topic Thread Title is somewhat disingenuous. A reader is led to believe that someone closely tied to Miami, like a BOT member or the President, is responsible for the quote, when, in fact, it's just an alumni/fan. Well, I'll bet 90% of FSU's, Clemson's, VTI's and NCSt's alumnis/fans are saying the same thing. Do we have a thread for quotes from those fans? This thread should be locked.

Can everyone step away from the ledge. Literally one year ago, everyone said the big 12 was Dead. This conference is set up to fail since it's Texas and everyone else. It's uber short sighted for ACC schools to jump into this conference. The travel costs for the Olympic sports, the crappy basketball outposts, etc. It makes no sense for a school like Miami (a very eastern alumni base) to suddenly align with midwest schools. The best thing Miami can do is start winning again and be the powerhouse it once was. If they are, the rest will take care of itself. a 1 loss Miami team will find its way into whatever playoff structure whether it's the ACC or the Big 12.

I'm not worried in the least. The ACC has been around since the 50s and will remain a power conference when the dust settles.

College football is becoming more and more of a money grab and the use of manipulation by certain groups has put a huge plague upon it. From agenda filled writers paper/media/internet to this constant drive to knock the little guy out of the picture. I'd like a playoff but what these clowns might be doing is just having an elitist situation and schools that aren't in the country club will have absolutely no shot and that destroys the regular season for me. This was the beauty of college football, the regular season being brand new and for the chance to win it all until you lost. Now, it's going to be worse and if it's just a select few that even get a chance, they've lost a huge fan who enjoys this sport by far more than any other. Hell, it was bad before but at least if SU did well they could go to a great bowl. I just hope it doesn't come to this. I'm not on the edge but money (as it always has) once again is driving the machine and I hope it doesn't spin it out of control with a huge buy/sell stock market type of panic.

I'd give Swofford credit for trying to make the ACC an academic first conference with very good sports but his lack of scruples regarding the NC punishment and agenda makes this extremely difficult.

a thread about a white house correspondent and random Miami fan's opinion? that's no different than quoting the concerns of some SU season ticket holder. good lord.

By the way Finebaum, is an SEC puppet and if you listen to him you might get an idea of what direction or power play the SEC is sneaking around doing.

It is amazing how much a programs value in these conference shuffles is based on its recent record vs tradition. WVU got the invite to the Big 12 because of its recent run. If expansion happened in 2002, SU would be way more attractive than WVU. If TCU didn't just win a Rose Bowl, they wouldn't be in the Big 12. Utah won and got in the Pac10. Bose, SDSU & Houston are going to the BE based on the past couple of years of winning.

There no way that Miami and FSU can be left out a NC tourney or game because they stay in the ACC. They will win again.

Even if Miami and FSU leave the ACC, I don't think the ACC can be left out of a NC tournament. Can you imagine an undefeated UVA or UNC or VaTech, SU, MD or Pitt not getting play?

The success of programs like Utah, TCU, Bose & WVU prove that in this era of parity and fewer scholarships, that well-run well-coached programs can beat all but the best SEC schools.