Miami or Oklahoma City? | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Miami or Oklahoma City?

Rebounding and defense. Boston's issue with the Heat was not being able to stop Lebron and Wade from indiscriminately attacking the rim in the second half of games. Last year, when they lost to Miami in the playoffs, they had double digit leads in all four of the games that they lost, which they were unable to maintain. Defense was absolutely the issues.

I don't disagree that Garnett played fantastic ball down the stretch--he was a godsend. But with Bosh out, it would have been nice for Boston to exploit inside mismatches. The problem is, Garnett [at this stage of his career] is more of a perimeter jump shooter. Brandon Bass is the same thing, despite being a big strong guy. Now, Garnett certainly tried to work the post more than usual against Miami, and had a fair amount of success. But they weren't a "big" team. When they won the title a few years ago, they had tremendous size / interior depth--that hasn't been the case since the Perkins trade.

One last note on Bradley: I'm not suggesting by any means that he is an equivalent player to Bosh. BUT, he is a fantastic defender--his real value, moreso than shooting / scoring at this stage of his developmental curve. Having Bradley would have not only given Doc Rivers another defender to throw at Wade, it would have also provided added flexibility with Paul Pierce and Ray Allen both sporting bad wheels that limited them. For Boston, it was costly timing with the injury.

Perkins isn't that good. He's just a goon space eater. It's not like he's having much impact against Miami right now...

Perkins isn't that good. He's just a goon space eater. It's not like he's having much impact against Miami right now...

Perkins is a role player who was central to the defensive identity of that Boston team. Taking him out of that lineup had an adverse impact on Boston's team defense. His importance was less about stats and more about nailing down the middle so that Boston didn't have to double team.

No argument that Perkins isn't having much of an impact this year, with OKC. He's been awful.

Boston was still the #1 defensive team in the league this year. (KG is freaking awesome). It's hard to compare that directly, since Perkins missed a lot of time, but it is hard to be any better than #1 in defense.

I think Perk, when he was good, was a role player, as you mentioned. He had a lot of value against some teams, and not much against others. If you are playing Orlando or the Lakers, Perk is very valuable, because it's less likely you're going to have to double off Howard or Bynum or Gasol. But I really don't see him offering much value to Boston if they are playing Miami. Like I said, Boston's best lineups saw KG at the 5. Perkins means less of that. Bass was also good against Miami; and Perkins is going to cost Bass some minutes.

My opinion; having a healthy Bradley would've helped Boston more than having Perkins. Another guy to run at Wade, and Allen was pretty awful in the Miami series, so anything to take minutes from him would be good. (38% from the field).

But the bottom line is I don't think anything swings that series; Miami is just better than Boston.

But the bottom line is I don't think anything swings that series; Miami is just better than Boston.

And yet Boston had control of the series, up 3-2 and heading home for a game 6 close out opportunity.

If Boston hadn't laid such a collective egg game 6--who knows? I just don't think Miami winning that series was a fait accompli like you imply. Everything set up perfectly for the Celtics, but they couldn't get the job done. Hats off to Miami in that regard.

And yet Boston had control of the series, up 3-2 and heading home for a game 6 close out opportunity.

If Boston hadn't laid such a collective egg game 6--who knows? I just don't think Miami winning that series was a fait accompli like you imply. Everything set up perfectly for the Celtics, but they couldn't get the job done. Hats off to Miami in that regard.

Sorry, I meant if Bosh was healthy the whole time. If Bosh is healthy for the whole series I think it goes 5. The way it played out, you're right, and if Bosh never came back I'm not sure Miami wins the series; but I meant if we're playing the what-if game with Perkins or Bradley; well if we play it with Bosh then I don't think it matters.

Sorry, I meant if Bosh was healthy the whole time. If Bosh is healthy for the whole series I think it goes 5. The way it played out, you're right, and if Bosh never came back I'm not sure Miami wins the series; but I meant if we're playing the what-if game with Perkins or Bradley; well if we play it with Bosh then I don't think it matters.

I gotcha. And there was also the what if talking about last year's playoffs versus this year's playoffs, so some of the channels got crossed. Either way, doesn't matter anymore--if's and but's don't amount to much, and Miami advanced both years.

I gotcha. And there was also the what if talking about last year's playoffs versus this year's playoffs, so some of the channels got crossed. Either way, doesn't matter anymore--if's and but's don't amount to much, and Miami advanced both years.

Also I really hate the Celtics, so I'm usually not giving them any credit.

Realistically...this could be the NBA Finals for the next 2 seasons as well. We better get used to this pairing. I guess it depends on where Dwight Howard lands.

Did you guys see the LA Kings cup celebration in LA?

I was embarassed for them. There are about 6 good hockey cities in America..and its just a niche sport everywhere else.

Don't legitimize an act of desperation. Laugh at it.

44cuse

Durant needs to dribble the ball behind his back in traffic more. jeeeeeshh... turnover machine tonight.

But seriously...Kevin Durant will just never win the big one.

I kid. Congrats to Bron. Great post game interview too. Showed a ton of class. I have a feeling his "haters" will fall by day.

But seriously...Kevin Durant will just never win the big one.

I kid. Congrats to Bron. Great post game interview too. Showed a ton of class. I have a feeling his "haters" will fall by day.

Nope. Here is the new argument:

1. He's only won one title; proves nothing
2. He isn't clutch
3. The NBA is fixed
4. It's Wade's team

44cuse

2. He isn't clutch
3. The NBA is fixed
4. It's Wade's team

44cuse
5. Officiating

Any Lebron detractors left? My goodness. How can you not love this guys game
I will reveal how tomorrow. There is a compelling reason.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

2. He isn't clutch
3. The NBA is fixed
4. It's Wade's team

44cuse

Putting James aside, I have no doubt about #3. The only sports shadier in several ways is the WWF and boxing.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Can't wait to hear how Skip Bayless spins this... "Triple doubles in the NBA Finals are not the indicator of a good basketball player"

Can't wait to hear how Skip Bayless spins this... "Triple doubles in the NBA Finals are not the indicator of a good basketball player"

I assume he'll go the Westbrook route as that's what "shock analysts" do. They switch targets

I remember Cowherd blasting Aaron Rodgers for like 2 years and never a word is said about that again other than a "oh yeah, I was wrong about that one" the day after

lol...James and Wade laughing about the media saying "New York will be a tough series for Miami"... Barkley and Shaq sharing a laugh with them.

5. Officiating

I didn't have an issue with the officiating this series (as far as favoritism), but the offensive fouls in the NBA suck. In the first quarter you have a bunch of retreating defenders called for And 1's, and then you get a bunch of what probably should have been made baskets taken off the board in the 2nd quarter for crap plays where the defense slides under. It's stupid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom