Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Louisville is borderline blue blood in a basketball crazy state. anyone that thinks they aren't on our level could only be correct if they mean they are above us

In case it was not clear I was being sarcastic.

The poster said something about Mack being forced to usestrippers to recruit, Pitino suing them, Louisville being an awful school academically, and lost me.

Regarding Gmac and Autry.

It would be comforting if there was some noise about other schools being interested in him as their head coach Has that happened? (Don't know the answer, but hoping others could shed some light)

OK

So if say JB decides to suddenly retire in September of 2020 (like Calhoun did) or mid season (Like JT2 did) John Wildhack is just going to say “no” and that’s that?
I definitely understand that concern. But Boeheim loves Syracuse University, and if he were to do that he'd really be stabbing the athletic department in the back -- which is massively understated.

Tough to envision him trying that, and if he did I wouldn't expect Wildhack to stick with any interim coach that gets appointed. So ultimately, it would all be for naught.

I definitely understand that concern. But Boeheim loves Syracuse University, and if he were to do that he'd really be stabbing the athletic department in the back -- which is massively understated.

Tough to envision him trying that, and if he did I wouldn't expect Wildhack to stick with any interim coach that gets appointed. So ultimately, it would all be for naught.

What worries me is that JB loves this program so much that after 40 plus seasons as HC and ten more as an assistant/player he feels that the no one else but him should be dictating who the next coach would be.

If it was me, that’s probably how I’d feel. But it’s eminently possible that’s JB is less of a dick than I am.

Are you kidding?:p He was a 35 year old alumni assistant with no head coaching experience who was promoted to head coach. Thought everyone said that wouldn’t work here. His 2 wins in Brooklyn brought his 3 year record over .500 (37-35). OSU bypassed hiring the associate head coach, Evans, who was also with Underwood to hire the younger assistant, Boynton, when Underwood left.

I agree that he seems to be doing a very good job at OSU but if we did the same thing OSU did by hiring him - so many fans would be up in arms that we could have done much better. Just proves that there are no absolute guarantees.
big difference between boynton and hop is mike b apprenticed at 6 different schools. learned several different systems . mike h only ever coached and learned from 1 dude . for way too long apparently.

What worries me is that JB loves this program so much that after 40 plus seasons as HC and ten more as an assistant/player he feels that the no one else but him should be dictating who the next coach would be.

If it was me, that’s probably how I’d feel. But it’s eminently possible that’s JB is less of a dick than I am.

I don't agree -- I think he felt that way about Hopkins, which is why they engineered the coach in waiting arrangement. And I think he's inclined to also want to recommend Autry and / or GMac, but ultimately those guys don't have the same resume that Hop did, which is why I'd expect the AD to be inclined to shoot that down.

I stated above that JB is holding the program hostage -- he's doing it to live out one more fantasy, i.e., getting to coach his kid. The AD is waiting with the finish line in sight out of deference for JB's accomplishments, but he is equally as frustrated as every fan on this board with the status quo.

I don't agree -- I think he felt that way about Hopkins, which is why they engineered the coach in waiting arrangement. And I think he's inclined to also want to recommend Autry and / or GMac, but ultimately those guys don't have the same resume that Hop did, which is why I'd expect the AD to be inclined to shoot that down.

I stated above that JB is holding the program hostage -- he's doing it to live out one more fantasy, i.e., getting to coach his kid. The AD is waiting with the finish line in sight out of deference for JB's accomplishments, but he is equally as frustrated as every fan on this board with the status quo.

oh man I hope this is the correct take

hopkins was already 48 years old before he got his own gig. how long did you expect him to wait ?

Serious question that I don’t know the answer to. Like many previous players, is Buddy on track to graduate in 3 years?
I don’t know but I’ve never honestly believed his timing was inextricably linked to Buddy. He’s implied it but a lot has happened to him personally and professionally in that time. Couple that with him not being a farewell tour guy and it wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t something in the works behind the scenes.

dude, are you trying to start some crap?. im not talking about Pearl Washington...Bruce Pearl...which is quite clear if you read the full thread.
He might be talking about Bruce Pearl. Maybe he thinks he is sweet.

I don’t know but I’ve never honestly believed his timing was inextricably linked to Buddy. He’s implied it but a lot has happened to him personally and professionally in that time. Couple that with him not being a farewell tour guy and it wouldn’t surprise me if there wasn’t something in the works behind the scenes.
I think it is. I wonder if JB believes that Buddy could play for a man to man coach.

I guess the million dollar question is whether there is a level of poor product that would force the AD to act before JB would like or if we are stuck with this for two more years. It’s going to get much worse before it gets better... all we are doing now is prolonging the slump and making it that much harder to recover. If the AD and JB both have the best interests of the program at heart they strike a deal where JB rides off at the end of this year and someone on the bench gets an interim year with no promises.

JB is 75 years Old. When I am 75 if I get there I am not doing the job he is which is supposed to be a lot of energy and work.

I really don’t know how many more years he wants to coach but the guy shouldn’t get to call the shot who replaces him. The program needs to change the status quo but it won’t happen till JB retires. GMac as his replacement will divide the fanbase a LOT. Paterno wanted his son his to replace him who knows if that happens if Sandusky doesn’t force him out.

Wildhack had nothing to do with Hop leaving.
Hop was going to get the job if he stayed.
Hop knew JB didn’t want to retire.
He didn’t want to force his mentor to leave the job and the heat he took from the fanbase when he didn’t get to implement his system and the team struggled shocked him.
JB wanted to coach his son.
Hop let his agent back channel he was available and Washington hired him.

Wildhack did nothing to force Hop out.
Hop left for a good spot for him and he didn’t have to force his mentor into retirement.

He didn’t want to force his mentor to leave the job and the heat he took from the fanbase when he didn’t get to implement his system and the team struggled shocked him.

Hop left for a good spot for him and he didn’t have to force his mentor into retirement.
This is mostly correct.

Washington is a phenomenal gig. Funny people don’t seem to consider that part

Washington is a phenomenal gig. Funny people don’t seem to consider that part
It’s phenomenal now because they have a great coach. There are programs that make the coach, and coaches that make the program. Washington falls into the latter. It just does. History proves this to be true. I happen to think that JB has changed ours into the former.

At the end of the day there isn’t a single PAC -12 game that is must see TV. Not one. None. The ACC has multiple.

Coaches with the highest aspirations want to coach in the best conferences. They want the prime time slot on rivalry week.

Wash vs WSU isn’t on anyone’s radar. And no one is staying up till midnight to watch.

In the next 3-5 years...JB, K, and Roy will be gone. None with natural successors. That’s prime real estate.

The best coaches are circling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors