Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't agree -- I think he felt that way about Hopkins, which is why they engineered the coach in waiting arrangement. And I think he's inclined to also want to recommend Autry and / or GMac, but ultimately those guys don't have the same resume that Hop did, which is why I'd expect the AD to be inclined to shoot that down.

I stated above that JB is holding the program hostage -- he's doing it to live out one more fantasy, i.e., getting to coach his kid. The AD is waiting with the finish line in sight out of deference for JB's accomplishments, but he is equally as frustrated as every fan on this board with the status quo.
Agree with this view. Again if we had an old school AD still in that seat I would be more concerned about JB doing something like those are expressing. I think Wildhack has a gameplan for JB sunsetting and I think he will hire a search firm to run it. For those of you who think the relatively new AD should be jamming the legendary head coach, who already has a retirement timeline great thinking. :rolleyes: Ride the wave out, its almost over and then we can look forward to new blood.

Why should the expectations be high? We're a middle of the road program over the last 5 years. We just got smacked silly in back to back games against unranked opponents.
I did say that JB was helping to lower the bar. Still to follow a legend with over 1000 wins and a long list of NCAA appearances is not an easy task. (Even though rectent ones were bubble picks there was a sweet 16).

It’s phenomenal now because they have a great coach. There are programs that make the coach, and coaches that make the program. Washington falls into the latter. It just does. History proves this to be true. I happen to think that JB has changed ours into the former.

At the end of the day there isn’t a single PAC -12 game that is must see TV. Not one. None. The ACC has multiple.

Coaches with the highest aspirations want to coach in the best conferences. They want the prime time slot on rivalry week.

Wash vs WSU isn’t on anyone’s radar. And no one is staying up till midnight to watch.

In the next 3-5 years...JB, K, and Roy will be gone. None with natural successors. That’s prime real estate.

The best coaches are circling.

Agreed. Just meant Seattle is awesome, it’s a good hoops area, he got a good deal, every coach can recruit there (if not win — I’m looking at you Lorenzo romar), he’s a west coast guy, the pac 12 is not great competition right now.

It’s a great gig made greater by hop. Good situation and that was a factor as well.

Agreed. Just meant Seattle is awesome, it’s a good hoops area, he got a good deal, every coach can recruit there (if not win — I’m looking at you Lorenzo romar), he’s a west coast guy, the pac 12 is not great competition right now.

It’s a great gig made greater by hop. Good situation and that was a factor as well.

There’s still more talent back East. 3 of his 5 starters are from upstate New York and another is from Philly. His top two scorers are from Rochester.

Last edited:
There’s still more talent back East. 3 of his 5 starters are from upstate New York and another is from Philly. His top two scorers are from Rochester.

I guess but if he’s still getting kids from out east then add that to the appeal as well. It’s a really nice spot and I’m happy for Hop.

Hop left. Wildhack did not force him out or abandon the plan.
It might be the most insane SU counter narrative

this could be 100% true but could it be that hop knew jb didnt want to stop coaching and wanted to coach buddy, and did the honorable thing? They obviously talked before the final decision was made, so...

Wildhack had nothing to do with Hop leaving.
Hop was going to get the job if he stayed.
Hop knew JB didn’t want to retire.
He didn’t want to force his mentor to leave the job and the heat he took from the fanbase when he didn’t get to implement his system and the team struggled shocked him.
JB wanted to coach his son.
Hop let his agent back channel he was available and Washington hired him.

Wildhack did nothing to force Hop out.
Hop left for a good spot for him and he didn’t have to force his mentor into retirement.

this makes a ton of sense to me. Im sure there were conversations between hop and jb that took place that no one besides those two know what was spoken.

I admire your certainty.
I haven't seen much spine from Wildhack so far.
JB seems to be calling his own shots.
I am about 80% certain that either Autry or McNamara is going to get handed the job by JB, as a result of the long-standing knowledge that "JB Don't Do Good-Bye Tours". This will likely be a Calhoun-to-Ollie kind of hand off around Labor Day in a few years to make sure his guy gets his shot.
JB is super loyal. He will put one of our current assistants in the job.
That will be very bad for the program. None of those guys is Hop. None of them have the personality, coaching chops or recruiting skill.

There should be a national search when, and if, Jim Boeheim leaves the program.

At the end of the day there isn’t a single PAC -12 game that is must see TV. Not one. None. The ACC has multiple.
you sir

9730334.jpg

are insane.

What about this name: Tommy Amaker. Yes, I know it didn’t work out at Seton Hall but he has proven himself as a coach since at Harvard. Also, he proved at Seton Hall that he could recruit and has NE connections.

A football story...but indicative of how fans can have some impact on the selection of a head coach:

Tennessee fans got Schiano fired right when he got hired.
Rutgers fans pitchforking to rehire tells the job wasn’t that attractive.
Schiano will have no FL games to recruit with and a way better conference to play in.
Fans do have some affect on job searches.
I joke our thread on Chris Ash 4 years ago if it had 1% an effect on Coyle then this board did its job:
That thread was 99% this board against hiring Chris Ash.

Someone said Paulus and no one commented on it. I have been saying the same thing. We know he is ok with living in Syracuse. While he did a grad year here, it is not really the same. He has Duke playing experience which will be huge in the ACC and then asst. coaching gigs at Louisville and Ohio St. Now he is getting his head coaching wings. Checks off a lot of boxes in my opinion.

And he has a top 10 guy from Seattle starting and a top 5 guy from 2020 who is probably going there.

His contacts in the east allow him to bring guys west, its not going to change. Coaches out here trust him and have been dealing with him for 20 years.

He goes east I doubt he has as much success getting west coast guys east. He's in a perfect situation.

Someone said Paulus and no one commented on it. I have been saying the same thing. We know he is ok with living in Syracuse. While he did a grad year here, it is not really the same. He has Duke playing experience which will be huge in the ACC and then asst. coaching gigs at Louisville and Ohio St. Now he is getting his head coaching wings. Checks off a lot of boxes in my opinion.

Im ok with this if he has success at Niagara.

I definitely understand that concern. But Boeheim loves Syracuse University, and if he were to do that he'd really be stabbing the athletic department in the back -- which is massively understated.

Tough to envision him trying that, and if he did I wouldn't expect Wildhack to stick with any interim coach that gets appointed. So ultimately, it would all be for naught.

I think JB may have some hard feelings deep down about how Syverud wanted him out.
This will be interesting, to say the least.

It’s phenomenal now because they have a great coach. There are programs that make the coach, and coaches that make the program. Washington falls into the latter. It just does. History proves this to be true. I happen to think that JB has changed ours into the former.

Coaches with the highest aspirations want to coach in the best conferences. They want the prime time slot on rivalry week.

Wash vs WSU isn’t on anyone’s radar. And no one is staying up till midnight to watch.

In the next 3-5 years...JB, K, and Roy will be gone. None with natural successors. That’s prime real estate.

The best coaches are circling.
Hop will be back and is the natural successor to JB at SU. With his proven ability to recruit and vast recruiting connections and the national buzz his hire will provoke, he’ll be able to quickly get Cuse back into the top 4 of the ACC on the regular, which guarantees national championship aspirations every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom