Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin or Jamie Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s still more talent back East. 3 of his 5 starters are from upstate New York and another is from Philly. His top two scorers are from Rochester.
Thank you for pointing this out. Seattle has some great talent. But after that, your prime recruiting area is Los Angeles, which is 1500 miles away and you have to compete with UCLA and USC (who are the hometown schools) and Arizona there. I think Hop sees that the East Coast has better talent and he has 20 years of AAU and high school coaching connections on the East Coast.

Someone said Paulus and no one commented on it. I have been saying the same thing. We know he is ok with living in Syracuse. While he did a grad year here, it is not really the same. He has Duke playing experience which will be huge in the ACC and then asst. coaching gigs at Louisville and Ohio St. Now he is getting his head coaching wings. Checks off a lot of boxes in my opinion.

paulus is way too risky, not proven.

Thank you for pointing this out. Seattle has some great talent. But after that, your prime recruiting area is Los Angeles, which is 1500 miles away and you have to compete with UCLA and USC (who are the hometown schools) and Arizona there. I think Hop sees that the East Coast has better talent and he has 20 years of AAU and high school coaching connections on the East Coast.
Hop scored the east coast kids because they were already 'his' kids and he already had the connections. I guarantee you that he's working to establish connections to the west coast kids, coaches, AAU circuits, as well now and will pluck many of the best, because that's who he is. He won't rely on east coast kids.

I hope everyone saying that JW will conduct a national search/use an outside hiring firm to conduct a search are wrong.

If JW is a good AD (and I think he is) JW will ALREADY have a list of 3-5 coaches in his head that not only would be great coaches at Syracuse but also would be extremely interested in the job (ie not some fantasy reach).

How does JW create his list? He should be already talking with coaches, assistant coaches, agents, etc to get an idea who will be interested in Syracuse when (not if since obviously JB can't coach forever) the job is available.

For example, Mark Coyle already talked with PJ Fleck (or his agent) before hiring Babers and he was told Fleck wanted a B1G job.

I hope everyone saying that JW will conduct a national search/use an outside hiring firm to conduct a search are wrong.

If JW is a good AD (and I think he is) JW will ALREADY have a list of 3-5 coaches in his head that not only would be great coaches at Syracuse but also would be extremely interested in the job (ie not some fantasy reach).

How does JW create his list? He should be already talking with coaches, assistant coaches, agents, etc to get an idea who will be interested in Syracuse when (not if since obviously JB can't coach forever) the job is available.

For example, Mark Coyle already talked with PJ Fleck (or his agent) before hiring Babers and he was told Fleck wanted a B1G job.
Of course. But the list won’t be three SU graduates.

My top 3 (realistic) candidates:
1. Hop
2. Amaker
3. Travis Steele

Alabama basketball job is like Syracuse football job.
If Nate Oats gets Alabama to the NCAA tournament field a couple of years in a row he will get a better job.
He is the guy to watch.

Alabama basketball job is like Syracuse football job.
If Nate Oats gets Alabama to the NCAA tournament field a couple of years in a row he will get a better job.
He is the guy to watch.
Except Alabama would pay a crap load to keep Oats

1. Hop
2. Amaker
3. Travis Steele

I've seen Amaker's name thrown around a lot, but he did nothing at Michigan to suggest he would be successful here. They fired him for Beilein. I think he is what he is. A solid mid major coach.

Stay snug rats! The ship isn’t sinking. The face of basketball is changing rapidly. You don’t have to be young or hip or charming to adapt. I am so sick of the freaking man crush so many of you ooze for Hopkins and the perilous adventure we would have embarked on with him. Bodody can predict fortunes in life or college basketball. Look at all the cupcakes eating the majors this year. We became accustomed to a coach who overachieved on a national level with underwhelming recruits. He did so so regularly we became accustomed to it. The body isn’t cold yet. Boeheim has earned our enduring respect and loyalty. So we experience the seesaw, which all but a precious few programs live on! Maybe we get back to where we were. Maybe we don’t. In my book Boeheim leaves on his own terms. In my book I have no expectations of what his terms should be. The man has given me more entertainment and joy as a Syracuse fan than I could have hoped for or expected

Except Alabama would pay a crap load to keep Oats
Money isn’t why coaches go from one P5 job to another.
They go because the new place cares about the sport more and they can win a NC.
Alabama hoops aren’t in the same league as Syracuse hoops. Just like the reverse in football.
Money isn’t going to be an issue for whomever Wildhack wants to hire.

This is part of the game now.

Stay snug rats! The ship isn’t sinking. The face of basketball is changing rapidly. You don’t have to be young or hip or charming to adapt. I am so sick of the freaking man crush so many of you ooze for Hopkins and the perilous adventure we would have embarked on with him. Bodody can predict fortunes in life or college basketball. Look at all the cupcakes eating the majors this year. We became accustomed to a coach who overachieved on a national level with underwhelming recruits. He did so so regularly we became accustomed to it. The body isn’t cold yet. Boeheim has earned our enduring respect and loyalty. So we experience the seesaw, which all but a precious few programs live on! Maybe we get back to where we were. Maybe we don’t. In my book Boeheim leaves on his own terms. In my book I have no expectations of what his terms should be. The man has given me more entertainment and joy as a Syracuse fan than I could have hoped for or expected
Many of us have grown tired of reading your book.

I've seen Amaker's name thrown around a lot, but he did nothing at Michigan to suggest he would be successful here. They fired him for Beilein. I think he is what he is. A solid mid major coach.

Amaker resists the press and refuses to do any radio/tv shows. That‘s normally a given in any P5 coaching position. He maybe totally satisfied where he is at Harvard where he can dictate terms like that.

Many of us have grown tired of reading your book.
You are a spokesman? I have a book? Go back to your hole and wait for fair weather. Cuse“Fan”in VT. I speak only for myself. You don’t have to read anything. I myself caught the tenor of this thread early on and stopped reading and stated my opinion. Don’t read my “book”.

It’s phenomenal now because they have a great coach. There are programs that make the coach, and coaches that make the program. Washington falls into the latter. It just does. History proves this to be true. I happen to think that JB has changed ours into the former.

Your narrative is partially incorrect.

Washington has been able to attract elite talent for years. Since 2006 it has as many first rounders as Syracuse... and one more lottery pick.

The difference Hopkins makes is that he is able to manage that talent better than Romar. But make no mistake Washington was drawing talent well before Hopkins.

Your narrative is partially incorrect.

Washington has been able to attract elite talent for years. Since 2006 it has as many first rounders as Syracuse... and one more lottery pick.

The difference Hopkins makes is that he is able to manage that talent better than Romar. But make no mistake Washington was drawing talent well before Hopkins.
I never said Washington didn't get talent. But its doesn't have a "winning program". Completely different. Hell, they went 9-25 or something with the #1 draft pick a few years ago. They've done pretty horribly given the amount of NBA talent that has ushered through that place. Hop can change that. Washington needs a really good coach to win. Some programs (Blue bloods?) can make a coach because of the culture. I'd like to think we're in that class.

I never said Washington didn't get talent. But its doesn't have a "winning program". Completely different. Hell, they went 9-25 or something with the #1 draft pick a few years ago. They've done pretty horribly given the amount of NBA talent that has ushered through that place. Hop can change that. Washington needs a really good coach to win. Some programs (Blue bloods?) can make a coach because of the culture. I'd like to think we're in that class.

You are moving the goalposts.

Every time we go through this exercise I realize how few options I think will work out for us. Outside of Hopkins who are we realistically going to get? It's almost more depressing to me that the product we have on the floor now.

Every time we go through this exercise I realize how few options I think will work out for us. Outside of Hopkins who are we realistically going to get? It's almost more depressing to me that the product we have on the floor now.

You being out there, right now do you see Hop ever leaving Washington?

Game time in 20.

You being out there, right now do you see Hop ever leaving Washington?

Game time in 20.
I honestly go back and forth. There really is no comparing Syracuse and the ACC to Washington and the PAC 12. The PAC 12 is not a good basketball conference and even when good is very top heavy. Washington is a football school that supports basketball. It is a great city to recruit to and they have a really good university with lots of financial resources. They also have the majority of the alumni in the city which helps. The reality is that Hop could stay there for 20 years and never lose his job most likely or even feel much pressure. Romar was bad for 5 straights years in a bad conference and there were still people who did not want to let him go. On the other side coming back to Syracuse would be a big risk for him. If they won 17-18 games for 2-3 years in a row there would be calls for his head in my opinion.

1. Hop
2. Amaker
3. Travis Steele
Hop is #1, 2 and 3. Pay him serious money to return, top 5-10 kind of cash. Travis Steele and Nate Oats would be great backup choices.

I honestly go back and forth. There really is no comparing Syracuse and the ACC to Washington and the PAC 12. The PAC 12 is not a good basketball conference and even when good is very top heavy. Washington is a football school that supports basketball. It is a great city to recruit to and they have a really good university with lots of financial resources. They also have the majority of the alumni in the city which helps. The reality is that Hop could stay there for 20 years and never lose his job most likely or even feel much pressure. Romar was bad for 5 straights years in a bad conference and there were still people who did not want to let him go. On the other side coming back to Syracuse would be a big risk for him. If they won 17-18 games for 2-3 years in a row there would be calls for his head in my opinion.
Good analysis. I think the other side of the coin is that people wildly underestimate the love and loyalty that Central New Yorkers have for Hop. They were ready for him to take over for JB and thought he’d do a great job. That goes for CNYers who still live there or natives who have moved elsewhere but are still rabid fans. (Many felt that JB was probably hanging on too long but thought he deserved to go out on his own terms. I think that calculus has started to change recently.)

Good analysis. I think the other side of the coin is that people wildly underestimate the love and loyalty that Central New Yorkers have for Hop. They were ready for him to take over for JB and thought he’d do a great job. That goes for CNYers who still live there or natives who have moved elsewhere but are still rabid fans. (Many felt that JB was probably hanging on too long but thought he deserved to go out on his own terms. I think that calculus has started to change recently.)
I think it will help Hop if we are at this level for another year or two. I know when he went 4-5 in the middle of the season when JAB was suspended that he was hurt by some of things people were saying.

tell him no like any successful AD would.

He's never done this job before. He's a television guy. Don't forget that.

I definitely understand that concern. But Boeheim loves Syracuse University, and if he were to do that he'd really be stabbing the athletic department in the back -- which is massively understated.

Tough to envision him trying that, and if he did I wouldn't expect Wildhack to stick with any interim coach that gets appointed. So ultimately, it would all be for naught.

So why didn't he leave the first time, when the Chancellor provided the 3 year timeline, if he cares more about the university than his "right" to coach his own kid (who he is not doing such a great job with this year, BTW, with the way he is overplaying him because he doesn't believe in the other guys)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom