Mick Cronin to UCLA | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin to UCLA

Is anyone familiar with what happened with Howland there? He started out like gangbusters -- and recruited a lot of top flight talent right out of the gate, like you pointed out. Had quite a bit of initial success [final fours, etc.], then it all seemed to dry up.

From afar, it seemed like the players tired of his antics / he wore out his welcome, which caused the recruiting faucet to trickle to a close, which in turn caused his teams to not perform as well. Anyone clued into what really went down?
His SI take-down article was published and created a lot of negativity around the program and Howland:
George Dohrmann: Not the UCLA Way

Howland wasn’t fired because of recruiting.
Plus the other player from that 2013 was Shabazz Muhammad whom Adidas got to UCLA for Howland.

Howland was fired because of UCLA boosters/alumni led by Bill Walton didn’t like the guy.
He wasn’t fired because his teams weren’t making the tournament.

Walton has a lot of influence around that program.

And Walton doesn't know college basketball all that well and is a complete goof.

If you are going to let Bill Walton make decisions for your program, you get what you deserve.

If Howland’s style of play was at least a contributing factor to his dismissal, how could anyone with any sort of connection to UCLA possibly want Tony Bennett as their coach?

And Walton doesn't know college basketball all that well and is a complete goof.

If you are going to let Bill Walton make decisions for your program, you get what you deserve.

I wouldn't take Bill Walton's advise on whether to cross a busy street or not. Nobody in their right mind would allow him significant input on the future of any BB program.

I might trust Bill to tell me the best place to get Grateful Dead concert tickets or whether the current crop of Mauwi-Wowie was as good as last years.

reminds me of this classic

I assume this was a G rated version of a Pitt practice under Howland/Dixon. Had to tone it down for the censors (the eye gouging was too gruesome for network TV).

Edit: alternatively it might have been an excerpt from a Big East referee training film.

There are only a handful of coaches who couldn’t get Kevin Durant to the sweet 16. Fortunately for Durant, Rick Barnes was one of them. He’s an absolute brutal game coach.

You can also say he’s a very mean guy for getting Texas to a Final Four and putting Royal Ivey on a pedestal he certainly never wanted to be on

It’s going to be former Bruin Earl Watson. Eventually.

s e xUAL CHOCOLATE!!

2s6ac8j.jpg

Seriously has anyone seen a major program handle a job search worse? Please tell me they are not using a firm to handle this?
Dan Guerrero just seems like a terrible AD. He fired Howland, hired Alford, fired Alford and then completely bungled this search.

Dan Guerrero just seems like a terrible AD. He fired Howland, hired Alford, fired Alford and then completely bungled this search.

he is terrible, and what is scary is he may still be better than the current and former jackass ADs at USC. you would think those two schools could figure out a way to find a good AD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom