Mick Cronin to UCLA | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Mick Cronin to UCLA

Cronin had a health issue in 2014 where he couldn’t even coach because his body couldn’t deal with stress.
So I am glad his health has allowed him to come back but he won’t strike fear in the Pac-12.
He will make UCLA competitive and a tournament team mostly every year so their fans atleast happy with that.

Now he has to deal with that over educated hippie idiot Walton color critiquing his every move.

I'm not quite as down on Cronin as other people seem to be. He coached in the AAC and got his team to the tournament consistently. It will be interesting to see what he does at UCLA. To be honest the PAC 12 is so bad he could get them going ok. He is better hire than Dixon or Barnes in my opinion.

That's how I feel and was wondering if I was the lone ranger on this one. Obviously he hasn't had tremendous success in the tournament but I'd be surprised if he doesn't get UCLA headed in the right direction.

I think he is a very good coach, but never appreciated here in Cincy. Too many fans loved Huggy. I really question whether Mick will be a good fit in LA

Yeah, he might be gone in two years. He's a very good coach, but they're going to hate his style.

Cronin had a health issue in 2014 where he couldn’t even coach because his body couldn’t deal with stress.
So I am glad his health has allowed him to come back but he won’t strike fear in the Pac-12.
He will make UCLA competitive and a tournament team mostly every year so their fans atleast happy with that.

Those fans will absolutely not be happy with that lol

Now he has to deal with that over educated hippie idiot Walton color critiquing his every move.

waxing poetic about the great John Wooden, but leaving out the part about him cheating his way to all those titles

He was an underachiever at UC. Had a team last year that could have made a Final Four run. He's squandered a lot of talent. UCLA botched the entire coaching situation.

kind of surprised they didn't wait for Luke

I find it weird that if Bill Walton has been such a great UCLA supporter why didn’t even 1 of his 4 sons attend UCLA to play. Luke went to Arizona, Chris played at San Diego St, Nate at Princeton and Adam at LSU etc - no UCLA for any of them. Is it because his sons weren’t heavily pursued by UCLA coaches, a reflection of the relationship with the UCLA coaches there at the time or his relationship with his former wife and sons? Just seems strange and of course just an aside.

I find it weird that if Bill Walton has been such a great UCLA supporter why didn’t even 1 of his 4 sons attend UCLA to play. Luke went to Arizona, Chris played at San Diego St, Nate at Princeton and Adam at LSU etc - no UCLA for any of them. Is it because his sons weren’t heavily pursued by UCLA coaches, a reflection of the relationship with the UCLA coaches there at the time or his relationship with his former wife and sons? Just seems strange and of course just an aside.

I find it weird that you are trying to ascertain the logic of Bill Walton

I’ve always thought he was a good coach and built Cincy back to being a consistent winner. Not sure about the fit with UCLA, which has unrealistic boosters and fanbase. Mick’s issue at Cincy is that he struggled to recruit elite offensively skilled players (because of his mid major conference), so he’s had to focus on size and athleticism and banking on player development. And I think he’s done a nice job with the program’s limitations. It’ll be interesting to see what he can do being able to recruit in a bigger pond at an elite CBB school with all that high school talent right in his backyard—but also all the expectations that come with it. We know his teams will defend, that’s for sure.

Last edited:
The only one that considered UCLa was Luke and he fell in love with Arizona and wanting to play for Lute Olson.
Bill is very supportive of his kids and didn’t put any pressure on them where to go.
When Bill called Arizona’s 2001 NCAA tournament games he didn’t even want to acknowledge Luke was his son and was hard on him calling him Walton during the games.

Insert the Gronkowskis

Yeah, he might be gone in two years. He's a very good coach, but they're going to hate his style.
But his “style” is partially due to the kind of talent he could get to Cincinnati. At UCLA, the recruiting pipeline is a lot better.

Walton better watch out. Mick is a hot head.

mickyaa.jpg

Probably the right guy to win immediately with the solid talent he is going to inherit in a weak league.

Not sure he is a good fit to be CEO for a job like this and his tournament track record is weak. He made the right call moving someone can take the UC job and keep what he has going rolling and this is not a lateral move he got thrown the keys to a Ferrari.

He was the perfect coach for UC's drop from the BE to the AACK because he didn't have to recruit amazingly well to have the best talent in the league. He coached up better players than his conference foes which meant annually had the best team in the regular season every year. I think he can have similar regular season success at UCLA. But that fanbase demands more.

I'd take him over Dixon or Barnes if I am a UCLA fan I am happy about this. He could easily change the tune on underwhelming in the NCAA Tournament every year at this job.

He's half leprechaun.

The stress is from protecting his pot of gold.

... and more gold coins just got tossed in the pot.

UCLA makes General Motors look like a well run operation...

I guess I am wrong Cronin is an Adidas guy but I guess he won’t be anymore.
His dad is a Cincinnati HS basketball legend who has ties to Adidas.
I get that will go away.
You are mistaken on this, Cincinnati is an under armor school as well. They dumped Adidas a few years back.

You are mistaken on this, Cincinnati is an under armor school as well. They dumped Adidas a few years back.
I am wrong then thanks for the correct info. UA isn’t paying for this move we know that. They are trying to save $$$.

Lots of kids here don't choose the UCs. Walton said many times that his kids were raised to make their own decisions about what suited them. Like he did. None of them choosing to play in their father's shadow or to do what he did is pretty understandable. I've never been on the LSU campus but the other three are cool places to go to school.

My advice to Cronin: Nix the dome look...grow some hair or get a rug and wear better suits and ties if you want to make it out here.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom