Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Love the optimism and "buzz" about potential city improvements now that we have Micron in the fold. Does the addition of another 10k permanent jobs really move the needle enough to justify better infrastructure/air travel? I'd hope so, but seems a bit polyanna-ish knowing how slow things happen around here. Heck it took a decade just to approve the I-81 thing.

Love the optimism and "buzz" about potential city improvements now that we have Micron in the fold. Does the addition of another 10k permanent jobs really move the needle enough to justify better infrastructure/air travel? I'd hope so, but seems a bit polyanna-ish knowing how slow things happen around here. Heck it took a decade just to approve the I-81 thing.

Micron might finally be the thing to make the Inland Port idea actually take off, too. Those chips aren't going to ship themselves.

Micron might finally be the thing to make the Inland Port idea actually take off, too. Those chips aren't going to ship themselves.

Low bridge... everybody down...

I'm assuming with spin offs...total job count should be over 25K jobs

That land around the inner harbor just got more valuable.

I think we'll see lots of apartments down there and new restaurants
Agreed. Plus, its those thousands of jobs plus their families and kids. Will be much more than just the 9,000 jobs. The Inner Harbor is going to be a premier destination for entertainment and housing soon...book it.

You can bet developers are on speed dial at the Harbor. There’s a lot of room for growth at the Harbor and the aquarium will also jumpstart development. Local schools, colleges and universities will have to quickly adjust curriculum to meet the needs of Micron. I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see a hotel become a realization at the west end of the Dome.

Wonder if the old barge canal can be altered back to carry freight to Oswego’s Port Authority? There’s an Oswego canal that runs from Onondaga County’s 3 Rivers to Phoenix area through Fulton/Minetto up to Oswego but is mainly used for recreational boating having been changed from it’s shipping origins. Sadly it would probably too expensive and disruptive to make it a commercial shipping venture again. Access to the Great Lakes, St Lawrence seaway with all the waterways around CNY could be another asset.

Syracuse will have an IKEA with this announcement. I predict it'll be opened by 2026.

We'll also see air travel pick up.

I can see non stops to new cities and extra flights added to various hubs.
Chobani was founded near Norwich, near New Berlin, NY. Their biggest plant is Twin Falls, ID. I wonder if with them and Micron we will see flights increase to western hubs.

season 4 GIF

This thread is giving me this kind of vibe.

I think this is awesome for Syracuse/CNY, but as someone who's been around for Globalfoundries moving to Albany and the "rise" or nanotech, while they undoubtedly benefit the Capital District, I'd suggest tempering expectations on Micron's impact a tad (particularly with respect to any direct impact on Syracuse athletics).

Looks like most of the rail line we are discussed was purchased by CN (Canadian National Railway) in 2019.

If this article is right, CN owns the line from Woodard north to Montreal. I believe Woodard is just north of Buckley, where the line splits.

So while this gets CSX out of the picture for part of the line, it introduces a second company that needs to be dealt with.

View attachment 220766
Tomcat, the deal fell through, due to CSX's refusal to remove a "paper barrier" and allow CN to interchange traffic with the NYS&W "Susquehanna" railroad, which they own a large percentage of, and the Finger Lakes Railroad. Access to NYSW interchange would give CN a sort of "back door" access to the Northern NJ and NYC market, and CSX, being one half of a duopoly, won't stand for any competition.

But your point(s) remain excellent, and some sort of rail to the area, including that plant and aligned with shifts, could benefit even to Cortland and Homer as a new entity seeks workers. That line is old New York Central, while the Oswego line is old New York, Ontario, and Western. Both could be better utilized, and, as long as 81 is being re-routed or whatever and new roads will be built for this plant, this would be a most excellent time to reimagine and reconfigure the transportation infrastructure to accomplish all that you laid out, and make Onondaga lake a premier recreational destination and the heart of a huge network of bike paths and boating opportunities.

Someone in another post referenced relocating Crucible to a new state of the art location in order to accomplish this- there's your south side whale.

This is going to impact surrounding counties, as far as Northern Chenango county and parts of Jefferson and Herkimer, etc. We as a region need to grow this together and have big vision.

Sean Kirst weighs in….

Construction boom required

McMahon said Micron’s decision to locate in the Syracuse area could unleash a boom that increases the county population by as much as 60% over the next two decades. He sees Onondaga County, population 462,000, growing to the size of Rochester-based Monroe County, population 743,000.

“Maybe bigger,’’ he said.

I've always said the Syracuse - Boise route was a sleeping giant.
I've read a lot on this board about Boise State being a commuter school, so I'd imagine a couple of direct daily flights would be great for college students.

Construction boom required

McMahon said Micron’s decision to locate in the Syracuse area could unleash a boom that increases the county population by as much as 60% over the next two decades. He sees Onondaga County, population 462,000, growing to the size of Rochester-based Monroe County, population 743,000.

“Maybe bigger,’’ he said.
I hate the term tor-buf-chester that since gift economist coined but we could end up with a nice stretch of midsize cities with pockets of less populated areas in between, very livable

season 4 GIF

This thread is giving me this kind of vibe.

I think this is awesome for Syracuse/CNY, but as someone who's been around for Globalfoundries moving to Albany and the "rise" or nanotech, while they undoubtedly benefit the Capital District, I'd suggest tempering expectations on Micron's impact a tad (particularly with respect to any direct impact on Syracuse athletics).
It's not like microchips are some technology that might not pan out. This is a little less pie in the sky than other schemes and there is at least an argument to be made that there is a benefit for everyone to not being so reliant on Chinese communists