Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

ACC refs this Saturday
With ND out of the playoff picture you’d think the ACC would want to help full-time members in this type of matchup.

Lot's of interesting investments by Micron locally here including OCC and SU.

I'm very curious about this 50,000 job number they keep throwing out. It's 9000 direct jobs, but they are saying 40,000 support jobs. Does anyone know how they are breaking that down and what that consists of?

I'm very curious about this 50,000 job number they keep throwing out. It's 9000 direct jobs, but they are saying 40,000 support jobs. Does anyone know how they are breaking that down and what that consists of?
Other suppliers moving to the area coupled with the construction jobs tied to the project and projected growth.

Other suppliers moving to the area coupled with the construction jobs tied to the project and projected growth.
They listed the 5000 construction jobs separately from the 40000 support jobs, so its not that. Just sounds like a lot of support. Global Foundaries opened their chip plant in Malta ten years ago, and the population of the county has grown roughly by 18,000 during that time but in no way do I see anywhere near 30,000 or 40,000 jobs as an offshoot.

Last edited:
They listed the 5000 construction jobs separately from the 40000 support jobs, so its not that. Just sounds like a lot of support. Global Foundaries opened their chip plant in Malta ten years ago, and the population of the county has grown roughly by 18,000 during that time but in no way do I see anywhere near 30,000 or 40,000 jobs as an offshoot.
Micron is hiring 9000 people themselves once they fully have 4 fabs open. The 5000 construction jobs is part of the rest.

Breeze could work but they haven't really got into the Mountain West much.

Southwest: I see adding Midway first.

Delta: hopefully MSP and SLC.

Seems like a good place for JetBlue to grow. If their purchase of Spirit goes through they'll have a ton of planes they'll need to use.

Micron is hiring 9000 people themselves once they fully have 4 fabs open. The 5000 construction jobs is part of the rest.
I understand that. They broke that down in the article that you posted.

Micron announced Oct. 4 that it has selected White Pine Commerce Park in Clay for a megafab that it says will create 9,000 direct jobs and more than 40,000 support jobs in Central New York over the next 20 years, as well as 5,000 construction jobs. The decision followed months of lobbying by Schumer, Hochul and McMahon -- and a state incentive package worth nearly a $6 billion over 20 years.

I'm just comparing it to what Global Foundries has done in Malta with their chip plant they opened ten years ago. They have 3000 employees and want to double that, but they are having a hard time hiring people, as the location of the chip plant is really off the beaten path for anyone who might live in Albany, Schenectady or Troy. But even so, I don't see any ripple down effect that there is an additional 20,000+ support jobs that have been created to support Global Foundries. Thus, my original question was that is there any type of breakdown on the 40,000 support jobs. Is that a real number, or one made up for dramatic effect?

All that being said, based on what has happened in Saratoga County with Global Foundries, this is a huge win for Syracuse and specifically the Clay area. You will see a lot of new housing developments and of course, the price of real estate and rental units rising far greater than the current run up.

Micron announced Oct. 4 that it has selected White Pine Commerce Park in Clay for a megafab that it says will create 9,000 direct jobs and more than 40,000 support jobs in Central New York over the next 20 years, as well as 5,000 construction jobs. The decision followed months of lobbying by Schumer, Hochul and McMahon -- and a state incentive package worth nearly a $6 billion over 20 years.

I'm just comparing it to what Global Foundries has done in Malta with their chip plant they opened ten years ago. They have 3000 employees and want to double that, but they are having a hard time hiring people, as the location of the chip plant is really off the beaten path for anyone who might live in Albany, Schenectady or Troy. But even so, I don't see any ripple down effect that there is an additional 20,000+ support jobs that have been created to support Global Foundries. Thus, my original question was that is there any type of breakdown on the 40,000 support jobs. Is that a real number, or one made up for dramatic effect?

All that being said, based on what has happened in Saratoga County with Global Foundries, this is a huge win for Syracuse and specifically the Clay area. You will see a lot of new housing developments and of course, the price of real estate and rental units rising far greater than the current run up.
Even if made up for dramatic affect and it's 9k direct hires (making a good wage BTW) and say 10k support jobs, that is a tremendous win for the CNY area. In addition, as these employees are trained by micron and surrounding colleges and universities it makes Syracuse much more attractive to future companies as our talent pool increases.

Just enjoy the ride. This is good for Syracuse.

I don't think that's right. In the articles posted the 5000 construction jobs are part of the 40,000. At least that's how it's been portrayed in other articles. And while Global Foundries is great for that area, Micron will be bigger here. Clay is also half the distance from Syracuse that Malta is to Albany.

To grow that large the area is going to need population growth. I think Syracuse may have an advantage over the Albany area in that is slightly cheaper to live here and there's more universities and colleges to attract talent from.

Likely using an economic index that correlates incremental income dollars and employment with services needed to support those dollars and jobs. Primarily public services (schools, police, fire), hospitality (hotels, restaurants), retail and other services. 9000 people earning an average of $100k will create incremental demand and additional jobs. That incremental demand and jobs in turn takes the next step in the cycle all the way down to new fast food outlets and workers to fill those jobs.

I just wanted to say F.U. Buffalo, F.U. Rochester, and F.U. Albany, you mother-fusters. (Feel free to insert Shafer gif). I hope they don’t get a single support job out of this. This is our time in the sun.

I don't think that's right. In the articles posted the 5000 construction jobs are part of the 40,000. At least that's how it's been portrayed in other articles. And while Global Foundries is great for that area, Micron will be bigger here. Clay is also half the distance from Syracuse that Malta is to Albany.

To grow that large the area is going to need population growth. I think Syracuse may have an advantage over the Albany area in that is slightly cheaper to live here and there's more universities and colleges to attract talent from.
RPI, Union, UAlbany, Siena, Skidmore, St. Rose, HVCC, ACC, SCCC, Cobleskill. I think the Capital Region holds its own with colleges and universities. Of all the upstate cities, Albany has more white-collar workers than anywhere else.

It's definitely a lot cheaper for people to live in Syracuse, but once there is more demand the price is going to go up. New housing, resale housing and apartments.

I know where Clay is. I lived there for two years. I posted this earlier, but if there isn't good public transportation to Micron, it will lower the pool of qualified applicants, especially for the more entry level positions.

Last edited:
Likely using an economic index that correlates incremental income dollars and employment with services needed to support those dollars and jobs. Primarily public services (schools, police, fire), hospitality (hotels, restaurants), retail and other services. 9000 people earning an average of $100k will create incremental demand and additional jobs. That incremental demand and jobs in turn takes the next step in the cycle all the way down to new fast food outlets and workers to fill those jobs.
Yes, but 40,000 is still a lot of jobs. I'm telling you what I have observed in the 10 years of Global Foundries. Plus, don't forget to factor in that out of those 9000, some will already be living in the Syracuse area. It's not like all of a sudden, 9000 new people will be moving to Onondaga/Oswego Counties. It's a great boom, but I think some politicians are just throwing some big numbers out there for dramatic effect. First, they were saying tens of thousands of new jobs, now they are saying 50,000. There is a big difference.

Yes, but 40,000 is still a lot of jobs. I'm telling you what I have observed in the 10 years of Global Foundries. Plus, don't forget to factor in that out of those 9000, some will already be living in the Syracuse area. It's not like all of a sudden, 9000 new people will be moving to Onondaga/Oswego Counties. It's a great boom, but I think some politicians are just throwing some big numbers out there for dramatic effect. First, they were saying tens of thousands of new jobs, now they are saying 50,000. There is a big difference.

Isn’t 50,000 tens of thousands? ;)

I believe Delta already goes direct to MSP from Syracuse unless this reply has me lost in the thread.
I heard they suspended the direct MSP flight...at least temporarily. Maybe RF2044 knows

The county exec feels in 15-20 years that Onondaga County could gain 200k in population. Not sure I buy that but I bet we'll grow well over 100K if they build out to 9000 at Micron. I think Oswego County could gain 30K in commuters. I think suppliers might look at Madison/ Oneida Counties to also serve Utica (Wolfspeed) and Saratoga (Global) as well as Micron.

I wonder if the Port of Oswego gains some business?

Last edited:
Isn’t 50,000 tens of thousands? ;)
Of course, but there is a huge difference between 30,000, 40,000 and 50,000. Which one is it. All I asked was there a breakdown on how they arrived at 40,000 support jobs, as I don't see that in Malta.

The county exec feels in 15-20 years that Onondaga County could gain 200k in population. Not sure I buy that but I bet we'll groq well over 100K if they build out to 9000 at Micron. I think Oswego County could gain 30K in commuters. I think suppliers might look at Madison/ Oneida Counties to also serve Utica (Wolfspeed) and Saratoga (Global) as well as Micron.

Hopefully We are alive in 20 years and our leadership has reversed the negative population in NYS. Right now, only thee counties had population gains from 2010 to 2020 with Saratoga County being one of them.

Seems like a good place for JetBlue to grow. If their purchase of Spirit goes through they'll have a ton of planes they'll need to use.
They talked about a second parallel runway years ago. They really could use it if 100-200K new residents arrive. Syracuse IAP covers a vast service area. (North Country, Mohawk Valley, Southern Tier and Eastern Finger Lakes)

Jet Blue really needs to improve connections into SYR...

The county exec feels in 15-20 years that Onondaga County could gain 200k in population. Not sure I buy that but I bet we'll groq well over 100K if they build out to 9000 at Micron. I think Oswego County could gain 30K in commuters. I think suppliers might look at Madison/ Oneida Counties to also serve Utica (Wolfspeed) and Saratoga (Global) as well as Micron.

I didn't think I would ever say this, but after spending some time in Oswego this summer they could use more bars. However there is a new one with a rooftop bar which is nice but they all close so early.

How they get 40K support jobs?

PFM

Military Acronym Slang

Interesting. Since anyone who has a pulse is working now, a lot of people will be hired away from their current jobs. That will leave a ton of jobs infilled.