Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

In Rochester they converted part of Marketplace mall into a medical facility.
They pretty much knocked down that whole section and just built a new building.

The Mets hitting director has a hitting facility right there in a mall store fromt it's interesting what all this space gets converted to

Did I read correctly that they never made down payments on the original loan for carousel center? And only paid the interest? The mall was highly successful before the expansion so that would make no sense to me… and I can’t imagine a lender agreeing to finance the expansion if that was true.
I don't know. I have heard from some contractors that they were not paid. I assume they had to pay the big banks. At least until now...

A medical complex might be another possible use at Destiny. The place has to evolve with a combination of several uses.
Strong (U/R) did a conversion at Marketplace Mall in Henrietta (south of Rochester), turned a mostly vacant mall into a SOA orthopedic complex. I had my knee scoped there, really impressive facility.

Good point, plus there is usually a ton of zoning issues that crop up as that area is almost assuredly not zoned for residential living. Also any potential living space that was ultimately agreed upon would be of the highest of high end, Pyramid isn't putting in anything remotely resembling affordable housing. Hard to see how this would be remotely viable.

Good point, plus there is usually a ton of zoning issues that crop up as that area is almost assuredly not zoned for residential living. Also any potential living space that was ultimately agreed upon would be of the highest of high end, Pyramid isn't putting in anything remotely resembling affordable housing. Hard to see how this would be remotely viable.

Oh, they would do affordable in a hot second if they could put together financing. With construction costs and interest rates what they are, that's the easiest thing to build right now.

Environmental concerns on those properties, though, that's the obstacle to residential.

What project?

Retenanting the big spaces with non-traditional anchors. As Jeremy said, an institutional anchor would be perfect.

Micron ground breaking delayed until November 2024 due to endagered bat species found per syracuse.com
It was already delayed by other issues, that's a bit misleading.

Oh, they would do affordable in a hot second if they could put together financing. With construction costs and interest rates what they are, that's the easiest thing to build right now.
Easiest? Aren't construction costs and interest rates through the roof?

Site work already started last year. This is groundbreaking. Not calling you out, but I really don't know why so many locals are having issues with the timeline with how many times it has been covered.
They were supposed to start digging last year. That hasn't happened

They were supposed to start digging last year. That hasn't happened
No they weren't. Go read the original articles when the announcement occurred in 2022. 2024 to start building was the original timeline. They tore down the buildings and did "site work" last year to determine what needed to be done at the location which includes this and the environmental impact studies.

"Site preparation will begin next year, with construction starting in 2024."

No they weren't. Go read the original articles when the announcement occurred in 2022. 2024 to start building was the original timeline. They tore down the buildings and did "site work" last year to determine what needed to be done at the location which includes this and the environmental impact studies.

"Site preparation will begin next year, with construction starting in 2024."
The county took down the houses. Micron didn't. Micron hasn't started site preparation in 2023 as they had planned. Now site preperation is November 2024, construction won't start until 2025. The project has slipped approx 1 year

The county took down the houses. Micron didn't. Micron hasn't started site preparation in 2023 as they had planned. Now site preperation is November 2024, construction won't start until 2025. The project has slipped approx 1 year
Correct.

It has not. Nothing has changed at all. The site work was done last year. Todays article explicitly says they break ground in November.

About 80% of the movies I saw in the 1980's were at the Penn Can Mall. My favorite Restaurant was the Beefsteak Mining Company. The prime rib was to die for and the chocolate pie desert, (forgot what they called it)), could kill you. I got everything for the house at Sears, my shoes at Floreshine, my suits at Anderson Little, my pizza at Pavone's and my ice cream at Baskin Robins. there were multiple book stores, including an expansion of the Economy Book Store, and a record shop where I got all my LP's, (which eventually amounted to over 200). There where also plenty of nick-nack shops for holiday and birthday gifts. All that's left is the chandelier in the main lobby. Every suburb had it's own mall and we were the most populous suburb. We didn't need Destiny. Great Northern, when it opened, was out in the boondocks - and still is. The airport had various pictures of things to do in the Syracuse area. "Shopping" had a picture of a park bench set-up in frotn of my favorite books store. When I came back from a trip I'd see it and would go there, eat at Beefsteak, buy a book in the bookstore and sit on the park bench reading it. I was 'home'.
They also had multiple drug stores at Penn Can, building Great Northern was a big mistake.

They also had multiple drug stores at Penn Can, building Great Northern was a big mistake.
Yes, what’s weird is that it has created a traffic mess along Route 11 with many of the businesses, restaurants etc that could have been in Penn Can Mall. Burlington coat store was one of the last to leave that Penn Can site and is now on the Route 31 section of strip malls. Most just keep relocating, leaving empty deteriorating sites to move a few miles to use up more land to create duplicate services. Crazy - everyone is left with huge shells left behind to deal with.

I can assure you everything has been pushed back a year from the original timeline.
If anyone thought anything was going to be done in 2023 I don’t think they were paying attention. I posted two weeks ago in this thread q4 24 was always the timeline we were told based on meetings I’ve been in. Every article since the annoucement has quoted 2024. In the last 6 months we were told Q4. If something was delayed based on the timelines we were given it’s 6 months at most.

I thought Franco’s was Camillus Mall and Pavones was Fairmount Fair.
I grew up in Camillus and these are facts!!! Pavone’s at Fairmount Fair was a must stop for my mom and me. Also Baskin Robbin’s. Other great stores there were Gerber Music (which became Cavages) and Marjax (where my first lax stick was purchased by mom!) The arcade there was Great Games which was ok.
Camillus Mall had Franco’s but when the mall opened it was called Pizza Time. Camillus also had Record Town (and Tape World) and the great Alladin’s Castle arcade, plus the movie theaters. Not in the mall but in the same plaza was Rollertown skating rink which turned into Maxi’s. Spent most Fri/sat nights there in junior high. Great memories!!!

Last edited: