Micron - Let’s try this again | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

Micron - Let’s try this again

Seems like there are even more plugged in people that have industry experience than I but

Hourly production and do'ers can be trained but it isn't easy.

The gap will exist in the Engineers. Principal and Sr. Principal engineers or fellows are not going to be cheap by any means and getting people to move here I just believe will be a challenge at the clip needed. These processes are so technical that it just requires a skill that not many people have.

I think people have ran with my comment and said i was being negative. I want it to succeed for our area and community as much as anyone. I am just saying that its not popping up a "normalized" manufacturing plant.
One of the reasons Micron was attracted to locating this plant in upstate NY is because of the proliferation of outstanding engineering colleges in the area. It is a vastly different situation that what they have had to deal with in Idaho.

There are many really good engineering school nearby.

RIT, RPI, Clarkson, Cornell, Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, Syracuse, SUNY Utica, Alfred, USF (great environmental programs).

Columbia, NYU, SUNY StonyBrook and many others are also not far away.

I think it is going to be great for the upstate NY economy to retain a lot more of of best and brightest college graduates locally.

One of the reasons Micron was attracted to locating this plant in upstate NY is because of the proliferation of outstanding engineering colleges in the area. It is a vastly different situation that what they have had to deal with in Idaho.

RIT, RPI, Clarkson, Cornell, Rochester, SUNY Buffalo, SUNY Binghamton, SUNY Albany, Syracuse, SUNY Utica, Alfred, USF (great environmental programs).

I think it is going to be great for the upstate NY economy to retain a lot more of of best and brightest college graduates locally.
Micron will also poach from other businesses as well and those businesses will have some of the backfill burden.

Seems like there are even more plugged in people that have industry experience than I but

Hourly production and do'ers can be trained but it isn't easy.

The gap will exist in the Engineers. Principal and Sr. Principal engineers or fellows are not going to be cheap by any means and getting people to move here I just believe will be a challenge at the clip needed. These processes are so technical that it just requires a skill that not many people have.

I think people have ran with my comment and said i was being negative. I want it to succeed for our area and community as much as anyone. I am just saying that its not popping up a "normalized" manufacturing plant.
Why the need for a large number of resident engineers ? There won’t be development work, it’s a fabrication facility as I understand it.

CNY also has plentiful water, a stable power grid, and fairly moderate weather.

Plus, no "healthcare" access issues for potentially half their hiring pool (women).

PS - The other finalist was Austin, Texas.
You can see all of the boxes that CNY checks off, which Texas does not.

Micron will also poach from other businesses as well and those businesses will have some of the backfill burden.
True,

My company (high tech electronics) just announced it is building a new plant adjacent to the existing one and doubling our work force in CNY. This was done in large part because they saw what is happening with Micron and the impact this will have on the local economy and work force.

There is absolutely going to be a donnybrook between companies to get and retain talented people but when a region becomes a major technical center for the country, it becomes easier for all the companies in the area to draw and recruit new technical people.

Right now, there are only a handful of companies that do this kind of thing in CNY. That is going to change in a big way. Not just because of Micron but also because of all the supporting companies that will bring and need talented technical people.

While the robots root for UMass in the MAC B1G.
The rise of the machines is upon us. And, don't knock the MAC, it could be a landing spot for teams that don't make the big time.

True,

My company (high tech electronics) just announced it is building a new plant adjacent to the existing one and doubling our work force in CNY. This was done in large part because they saw what is happening with Micron and the impact this will have on the local economy and work force.

There is absolutely going to be a donnybrook between companies to get and retain talented people but when a region becomes a major technical center for the country, it becomes easier for all the companies in the area to draw and recruit new technical people.

Right now, there are only a handful of companies that do this kind of thing in CNY. That is going to change in a big way. Not just because of Micron but also because of all the supporting companies that will bring and need talented technical people.
It already happens. People rotate through your shop, LM, SRC, Saab, L3 in Rochester.

And a lot of staffing is virtual.

if the market demand is out there labor won’t be the limiting factor.

The rise of the machines is upon us. And, don't knock the MAC, it could be a landing spot for teams that don't make the big time.

Wasn’t a knock on MAC

It was a knock on UMASS saying that the B10 wanted them….

Obviously if they did, UMass would have gone to the B10 instead of MAC

billions in subsidies to bring in foreign labor?

how on the nose for 2024

stupid

and there are very few on this board that has spent more time in Taiwan than me. nothing against them.
It's not foreign labor if they become nationalized citizens.

The labor market may be tight, but there's a huge pool of technical talent along the NYS thruway - UB, U of R, RIT, SU, Cornell, SUNY Albany, RPI, etc. I would think this was one of the major reasons for siting the plant in the CNY region.
And most of this labor can move among the cities along the Thruway.

so basically all the rules that every research college has to get funded.

CNY also has plentiful water, a stable power grid, and fairly moderate weather.

Plus, no "healthcare" access issues for potentially half their hiring pool (women).

PS - The other finalist was Austin, Texas.
You can see all of the boxes that CNY checks off, which Texas does not.
From what I have been told, from someone on the frontline of this , is that the issue in Texas concerning women’s healthcare is a MAJOR issue for Micron. Attracting female talent was a huge concern

I would imagine we'll see something similar proposed for the Inner Harbor soon as well. Also shows that destiny might be able to propose higher end housing to replace its department store space. Affordable housing will still be an issue, but the people moving here want to have upscale options.

These images remind me of the original mock up of Carousel with the canal running thru it. Will be interesting to see what this ends up. for now I'd settle for not swerving around 5,000 pot holes on my way to BJ's.
I think that a BJs thing. My local one is the same way. Taking the cars life in your hands to get gas. Worse when it rains and you can tell the hole is 12 inches deep.

These images remind me of the original mock up of Carousel with the canal running thru it. Will be interesting to see what this ends up. for now I'd settle for not swerving around 5,000 pot holes on my way to BJ's.
That comparison makes no sense. These are renderings of nicely landscaped apartments and condos. What about that seems so fantastic and delusional? I'm punching you a ticket to North Dakota.

The future looks unbelievably bright for CNY.

This is something that nobody could have predicted.

I won't get political, but thank you to those who have given our community the kind of economic trajectory it has not had in 75 years.