Might cut the cord | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Might cut the cord

An Amazon FireTV Stick allows you to install VPN applications.

Easy to start the VPN app and place your virtual self back in the US. Launch your streaming app (YouTubeTV, in my case) and watch your favorite shows.

This works well on my iPad mini as well. Use the VPN and use your streaming app.

This typically won't work on your phone as the app may be able to obtain your physical location even if you use a VPN.

VPN apps will require subscription. I use NordVPN.
I use Nord vpn to watch in market games on mlb ap but it only works sporadically on my phone

An Amazon FireTV Stick allows you to install VPN applications.

Easy to start the VPN app and place your virtual self back in the US. Launch your streaming app (YouTubeTV, in my case) and watch your favorite shows.

This works well on my iPad mini as well. Use the VPN and use your streaming app.

This typically won't work on your phone as the app may be able to obtain your physical location even if you use a VPN.

VPN apps will require subscription. I use NordVPN.
Thank you. I have been using ControlD on my AppleTV, but they seem to have changed their biz model and no longer support the geolocation feature they originally sold me on. I was planning to pick up an AirCove modem that has ExpressVpn installed, but now I’ll take a look at the Amazon stick, which is much cheaper. Thank you.

Thank you. I have been using ControlD on my AppleTV, but they seem to have changed their biz model and no longer support the geolocation feature they originally sold me on. I was planning to pick up an AirCove modem that has ExpressVpn installed, but now I’ll take a look at the Amazon stick, which is much cheaper. Thank you.
Only concern would be for YouTube tv. As mentioned earlier there is another hack you need to do to get the app to work because it will make you use your device location from your mobile device. I know that’s an issue with phone and iPad usage. Which makes it a problem when you first have to log in to YouTube tv.

Only concern would be for YouTube tv. As mentioned earlier there is another hack you need to do to get the app to work because it will make you use your device location from your mobile device. I know that’s an issue with phone and iPad usage. Which makes it a problem when you first have to log in to YouTube tv.
Yeah, I was cautioned about YouTube tv—they have very challenging geo safeguards. I think I tried to just look into the costs and channels last year, and even with vpn on my computer, I couldn’t access the site just for information.

Highly recommend a drogon.tv account for live sporting events.

I am surprised that VPN even works with most apps on a firestick.. The apps can usually tell if a VPN is running, like the betting web sites use plugins to detect the VPN and they dont allow betting outside the state you are in. If the apps cared they could detect a VPN and not allow that app to connect while a VPN is in use.

I am surprised that VPN even works with most apps on a firestick.. The apps can usually tell if a VPN is running, like the betting web sites use plugins to detect the VPN and they dont allow betting outside the state you are in. If the apps cared they could detect a VPN and not allow that app to connect while a VPN is in use.

VPN and Google Chromecast V1.0 stick saved me the last few years...

I have YoutubeTV and got no RSN games (which was a lot for b-ball). I do have ESPN+, but the RSN games would be blacked out regionally.

The MO:
Laptop + VPN logging in from say, Denver + WatchESPN website in Chrome browser + Screencast Chrome function to my TV

100% of the time it worked everytime.

You can buy those Chromecast v1.0 sticks on ebay now for like $6. I bought another one for the vacay house as well.

thats why I am surprised the sites let the VPN work. its trivial for them to block it

The TV options suck these days!!

I've been using my imagination. The best part of that is SU hoops have now won the National Championship three weekends in a row.

lol I caved in and resubscribed to Sling. Magically, the service works again :)
Need my SU basketball, will keep it til at least March.

So T-Mobile is going to offer its phone customers free HULU, starting at the end of January, in addition to already offering free Netflix.

Who has HULU that can tell me whatI have to look forward to.

So T-Mobile is going to offer its phone customers free HULU, starting at the end of January, in addition to already offering free Netflix.

Who has HULU that can tell me whatI have to look forward to.
I like Hulu a lot. I'll need to look at what I've watched but there's some quality stuff there. Some of their originals are really good, too.

Cheapskate
Heck yeah. But I kinda got suckered. I did the 99 cents a month Black Friday special a while back and we ended up liking it and kept it.

What drives me nuts is when people recommend something on a streaming service I don't have. I have YouTubeTV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. I don't want Peacock or Apple or Max or whatever the heck else is out there. It's already a stupid amount of things.

Heck yeah. But I kinda got suckered. I did the 99 cents a month Black Friday special a while back and we ended up liking it and kept it.

What drives me nuts is when people recommend something on a streaming service I don't have. I have YouTubeTV, Amazon Prime, Netflix, Hulu, and Disney+. I don't want Peacock or Apple or Max or whatever the heck else is out there. It's already a stupid amount of things.
add anyone for a yr its like $75-100 the cost of eating out 1 time or 2-3 people going to macdonalds or a coffee a month.

Prime is zero cost because of the shipping for free saves a ton of money
netflix is cheap if you split between 3 people
Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ is a great bundle price
Apple has not since shows
Peacock as well
Max is free with my Directv if you have the right tier
Paramount has a nice lineup as well

$50 or whatever a month is worth it for all of them

add anyone for a yr its like $75-100 the cost of eating out 1 time or 2-3 people going to macdonalds or a coffee a month.

Prime is zero cost because of the shipping for free saves a ton of money
netflix is cheap if you split between 3 people
Disney/Hulu/ESPN+ is a great bundle price
Apple has not since shows
Peacock as well
Max is free with my Directv if you have the right tier
Paramount has a nice lineup as well

$50 or whatever a month is worth it for all of them
I don't want to support that, tho.

I have YouTube tv AND direct tv stream , the latter during hockey and nba season for nhl network and rockets bball ( now that they’re fun)

I will not dump YouTube tv because it’s much better platform to watch day to day

I took advantage of that Hulu deal one time also but I canceled when it went to regular price. I never pay for a streaming service unless I can get a deal for it, even if it's only a 3 month deal or something like that.

I took advantage of that Hulu deal one time also but I canceled when it went to regular price. I never pay for a streaming service unless I can get a deal for it, even if it's only a 3 month deal or something like that.
Now that I think of it you may have been who I heard about the Hulu special from.

How are they supposed to know what you have and don't?

Anyway, I stick to Netflix, Prime and the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle, and share a Max subscription with my sister. Of all of those, Netflix is the worst at justifying its cost with content I like, but there's still enough to keep me from canceling. And during March Madness I'll get YouTubeTV for a month and put a reminder in my phone to cancel it a few days before my bill date. Anything else like Peacock, Paramount or AppleTV I'll only get if there's a deal.

Target runs 3-month offers for AppleTV on and off throughout the year (or at least they used to, I haven't checked in awhile), and you can use them multiple times.

How are they supposed to know what you have and don't?

Anyway, I stick to Netflix, Prime and the Disney/Hulu/ESPN bundle, and share a Max subscription with my sister. Of all of those, Netflix is the worst at justifying its cost with content I like, but there's still enough to keep me from canceling. And during March Madness I'll get YouTubeTV for a month and put a reminder in my phone to cancel it a few days before my bill date. Anything else like Peacock, Paramount or AppleTV I'll only get if there's a deal.

Target runs 3-month offers for AppleTV on and off throughout the year (or at least they used to, I haven't checked in awhile), and you can use them multiple times.
Best Buy also has a 3 month offer for Apple TV

Shockingly, Spectrum is actually giving subscribers Disney TV, Hulu and ESPN+ for free. Not sure how or why, but it will keep me in the loop for the time being.

Shockingly, Spectrum is actually giving subscribers Disney TV, Hulu and ESPN+ for free. Not sure how or why, but it will keep me in the loop for the time being.
Probably to try and retain/attract customers away from the streaming services like YouTube TV. they are also doing away with cable boxes, replacing them with Xumo Stream box which provides their Spectrum TV streaming app along with other streaming apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom