Class of 2014 - Mikale Wilbon, RB (Illinois) offered | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Mikale Wilbon, RB (Illinois) offered

Then the RBs would be Erv, AAM (if on the team) and most likely Howard.

Knock on wood, but when was the last time all three of the top 3 RBs on the team have been hurt for extended periods of time?

Knock on wood, but when was the last time all three of the top 3 RBs on the team have been hurt for extended periods of time?

I certainly hope it doesnt come up but I think the worry is what if PTG and Morris get knicked up and are both out. Are you comfortable with Macfarlane and Erv (if he qualifies) as your only two healthy backs? This staff has dont a great job recruiting but I have to say I am mystified we are only brining in one RB this year.

Put me in the camp that would've liked witter or Wilbon but don't care at all if we don't bring in a back. We'll put the full court press on some A list backs next year and ill be confident we'll land who we target.

Put me in the camp that would've liked witter or Wilbon but don't care at all if we don't bring in a back. We'll put the full court press on some A list backs next year and ill be confident we'll land who we target.

I have no issue with that take/opinion but your (the staff) is putting a lot of pressure on themselves to nab some big time RB's in this class. If they strike out on there top targets (like this year, save for Erv) then your putting yourself in a really tough position because theres no wasy Syracuse can take anythine less then two backs year no matter how far down the line they have to go.

Then the RBs would be Erv, AAM (if on the team) and most likely Howard.

So you're going to burn 2 shirts and play a guy that specializes in running the ball from the 2 over a guy that has experience at the college level playing RB and is currently playing at what will be the deepest position on the team next year.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

I have no issue with that take/opinion but your (the staff) is putting a lot of pressure on themselves to nab some big time RB's in this class. If they strike out on there top targets (like this year, save for Erv) then your putting yourself in a really tough position because theres no wasy Syracuse can take anythine less then two backs year no matter how far down the line they have to go.

There’s always pressure to land your top targets (especially when you NEED that player) but RB is the easiest position to fill with a quality kid and after year 1 these guys seem to do better when they can narrow their focus.

We needed to add WR's and appears we'll get all A Listers. The only kid we probably really wanted that we didn't get was Holmes. A couple of the others (travon lee/adonis jennings for example) were probably the equal of everyone else. (Wouldn't you love to see the draft board - I would). With Cooper, Custis and Williams thats a good haul alone but even so if we don't sign Ishmael that will be a gut shot.

Off topic but my biggest complaint with this staff right now in terms of recruiting is the focus was to narrow. You can’t target 20 kids when you have 20 spots to fill. Need to put the full court press on 40/50 kids to get to 20. The fact that we went two weekends (1 in December and this past weekend in January) without ANY visitors is a bad strategy. (what if we don’t have any Saturday home hoop games next year?) Now we’re scrambling a bit with some Blisters with one visit weekend left and only 3 days after that before they sign. I’m pretty sure after Sunday it’s a no contact period so they’re not going to be able to pull anything out of their hats after Sunday.

I don’t care for in season visits but they needed to do a better job and bring in more kids every available weekend in December and January. I think we’re paying for that a little. I’ll chalk it up to learning curve

Last edited:
Soooo...how about Mikale Wilbon? Plenty of other threads guys.

We're talking about why or why not the staff may have passed on him. Didn't realize we needed your permission to do that.

There’s always pressure to land your top targets (especially when you NEED that player) but RB is the easiest position to fill with a quality kid and after year 1 these guys seem to do better when they can narrow their focus.

We needed to add WR's and appears we'll get all A Listers. The only kid we probably really wanted that we didn't get was Holmes. A couple of the others (travon lee/adonis jennings for example) were probably the equal of everyone else. (Wouldn't you love to see the draft board - I would). With Cooper, Custis and Williams thats a good haul alone but even so if we don't sign Ishmael that will be a gut shot.

Off topic but my biggest complaint with this staff right now in terms of recruiting is the focus was to narrow. You can’t target 20 kids when you have 20 spots to fill. Need to put the full court press on 40/50 kids to get to 20. The fact that we went two weekends (1 in December and this past weekend in January) without ANY visitors is a bad strategy. (what if we don’t have any Saturday home hoop games next year?) Now we’re scrambling a bit with some Blisters with one visit weekend left and only 3 days after that before they sign. I’m pretty sure after Sunday it’s a no contact period so they’re not going to be able to pull anything out of their hats after Sunday.

I don’t care for in season visits but they needed to do a better job and bring in more kids every available weekend in December and January. I think we’re paying for that a little. I’ll chalk it up to learning curve

Sounds like they purposefully take the opposite approach. Narrow in on the guys they really want. Go really hard at them - sell them on the "we want you" so we're not looking at other kids right now. We're being honest with you, be honest with us. If you say no - we move on and quickly. Spend all your effort on the guys you really want with the fullest court you can press ;). The B-listers we're after are still pretty good guys that we have a nice chance of landing late.

So you're going to burn 2 shirts and play a guy that specializes in running the ball from the 2 over a guy that has experience at the college level playing RB and is currently playing at what will be the deepest position on the team next year.

Yeah. That makes perfect sense.

What experience? The 20 carries he had his Frosh year that got him hurt and ultimately had him on the bench the last half of the year? He never played RB in highschool and only played it his Frosh year at SU because Marrone and Hackett couldnt figure out where to play him and they promised he wouldnt be redshirted. The current staff doesnt seem him as a RB and he hasn't been training there at all since the coaching staff change. So you want them to play a slot WR at RB when he hasnt played there in 2 years and isnt practicing there at all. Yup sounds great.

I agree, but I think they may take the group mentality approach. Get a bunch of prospects in at the same time and its a domino effect if one starts with a commit. I remember a FSU game I think Musberger said there is like 100 prospects in the stands at the game. I agree we need more coming in to focus on, but at this point maybe we don't have 100 who have an interest to get here at the same time that the staff really wants here.

What experience? The 20 carries he had his Frosh year that got him hurt and ultimately had him on the bench the last half of the year? He never played RB in highschool and only played it his Frosh year at SU because Marrone and Hackett couldnt figure out where to play him and they promised he wouldnt be redshirted. The current staff doesnt seem him as a RB and he hasn't been training there at all since the coaching staff change. So you want them to play a slot WR at RB when he hasnt played there in 2 years and isnt practicing there at all. Yup sounds great.

The things that would have to happen for us to be in that predicament are pretty severe is all anyone's saying, I think.

The things that would have to happen for us to be in that predicament are pretty severe is all anyone's saying, I think.

We would have to be on our 6th string RB for that to even be in consideration.

We're talking about why or why not the staff may have passed on him. Didn't realize we needed your permission to do that.
I'm sorry you interpreted my post that way, I wasn't asking for permission. It just seemed the posts prior to mine had nothing to do with why the staff may have passed on him. Maybe I'm wrong.

Sounds a lot like playing a FS at WR that hasn't played there since HS. Amazing what happens when you have depth concerns and DON'T want to burn shirts. I really doubt the staff is going to fall all over themselves plugging in a kid they have pegged for SS and burning his shirt because Ashton doesn't feel like playing RB in spot duty if needed. Or playing a kid that was put at FB because there was nowhere else to put him at TB in an offense that is being built around shifty scat back type runners. Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

And I'm sure Ashton practicing at the position for a year has no value at all either.

Last edited:
Sounds a lot like playing a FS at WR that hasn't played there since HS. Amazing what happens when you have depth concerns and DON'T want to burn shirts. I really doubt the staff is going to fall all over themselves plugging in a kid they have pegged for SS and burning his shirt because Ashton doesn't feel like playing RB in spot duty if needed. Or playing a kid that was put at FB because there was nowhere else to put him at TB in an offense that is being built around shifty scat back type runners. Yeah that makes a ton of sense.

Eskridge took what 3 snaps WR this year you can see the difference right? Again maybe I am communicating this wrong so let me try again. It has nothing to do with Ashton not feeling like playing RB in spot duty, the staff doesn't want him playing there because HE'S NOT A RUNNING BACK.

The former staff tried him there and it was a disaster, Ashton is now the starting slot guy and one of the top returning Wr's. Hes not going to be playing spot duty at RB. Hes not seeing snaps at RB under any circumstances. Erv Phillips and AAM are rb's so yes I do see the staff playing them before placing there starting WR at the position who hasnt played there in two years and has exactly zero practice time there under this staff.

Eskridge took what 3 snaps WR this year you can see the difference right? Again maybe I am communicating this wrong so let me try again. It has nothing to do with Ashton not feeling like playing RB in spot duty, the staff doesn't want him playing there because HE'S NOT A RUNNING BACK.

The former staff tried him there and it was a disaster, Ashton is now the starting slot guy and one of the top returning Wr's. Hes not going to be playing spot duty at RB. Hes not seeing snaps at RB under any circumstances. Erv Phillips and AAM are rb's so yes I do see the staff playing them before placing there starting WR at the position who hasnt played there in two years and has exactly zero practice time there under this staff.

I was referring to Naes Howard who you brought up earlier who was recruited to play SS and will be redshirting this year in all likelihood. Obviously Erv Phillips is getting his shirt burnt if we lose 2 or 3 TB's. You think the staff is more willing to burn Naes's shirt at TB if the depth is needed and/or lean on AAM of all people in the offense they are building rather than put a guy in who has practiced at and played the position, who's athletic and dynamic, and is a great threat with the ball in his hands, not to mention one that knows the offense.

The staff is willing to play a FS at WR that hasn't played the position since high school - 3 years ago, and has an injured hand to boot because they lack the depth and talent at the WR position due to injuries, but they wouldn't be willing to play a WR at RB who played and practiced at the position for a year in COLLEGE with mixed results if they have a lack of depth and talent at the RB position due to injuries. Right.

I think you're position is completely ridiculous and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

I was referring to Naes Howard who you brought up earlier who was recruited to play SS and will be redshirting this year in all likelihood. Obviously Erv Phillips is getting his shirt burnt if we lose 2 or 3 TB's. You think the staff is more willing to burn Naes's shirt at TB if the depth is needed and/or lean on AAM of all people in the offense they are building rather than put a guy in who has practiced at and played the position, who's athletic and dynamic, and is a great threat with the ball in his hands, not to mention one that knows the offense. I think you're position is completely ridiculous and we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Theres a better chance of Nas or AAM getting run at TB then there is of Ashton, how is that completely ridiculous? The staff doesnt consider Broyld a TB and he doesn't know the offense from a RB standpoint at all. Broylds a threat with the ball in open space, but hes not a burner and really not that dynamic as a RB which was shown in his Frosh year when we tried that and it failed. Howard played RB his entire football career and will be coming in having just played there last fall ditto for AAM. Do you honestly think the staff is going to pull its starting WR and start praticing him at RB for depth purposes if injuries occur? Or ar they going to give reps to a RB already on the roster (AAM) or to a local kid who has played RB his entire life and is expected to red shirt anyway.

You don't just take a RB in recruiting to have another RB.

Will we be in trouble depth wise if injuries hit? Yes. But, if we lose Morris, Gulley and McFarlane for a game, it doesn't matter who we recruited b/c we would be in significant trouble at that position. If all 3 go down, McDonald will just throw the ball 90 times or have designed QB runs.

The amount of worrying about the RB situation in January with 3 talented backs and an offense moving towards throwing the ball and away from the power running game is mind blowing to me.

This team is going to throw the ball and throw it a lot. I would bet there will be only 1 game next year where 1 RB has more then 15 carries.

You don't just take a RB in recruiting to have another RB.

Will we be in trouble depth wise if injuries hit? Yes. But, if we lose Morris, Gulley and McFarlane for a game, it doesn't matter who we recruited b/c we would be in significant trouble at that position. If all 3 go down, McDonald will just throw the ball 90 times or have designed QB runs.

The amount of worrying about the RB situation in January with 3 talented backs and an offense moving towards throwing the ball and away from the power running game is mind blowing to me.

This team is going to throw the ball and throw it a lot. I would bet there will be only 1 game next year where 1 RB has more then 15 carries.

First of all I dont see much worrying, I see some concern that after taking zero rb's last year and only having 1 lined up for this year (with major qualifying issues) there could be an issues if injuries or off the field issue hit. I think that concern is extremely legitimate especially when PTG has a pretty significant injury history. You dont see many Div 1 programs bring in 1 rb in two recruiting classes, if a few players go down and Erv phillips is suddenly the #2 I think your opinion would change real quick.

Second your answer to what Mcdonald would do if we were hit with injuries at RB isnt feasible at all. This team is no where near ready to become a team that throws the ball 75% of the time. Hunt is not that type of QB first of all and second the offense is still being modified and accompanying players brought in to match the system. No matter how good KJ, Custis and Ishmael look right now there still going to be Frosh and need time to adapt to the speed and play of high end Div 1 and to learn the playbook. Syracuse still needs a potent running game to be successful, we cant become Washington State after one year.

First of all I dont see much worrying, I see some concern that after taking zero rb's last year and only having 1 lined up for this year (with major qualifying issues) there could be an issues if injuries or off the field issue hit. I think that concern is extremely legitimate especially when PTG has a pretty significant injury history. You dont see many Div 1 programs bring in 1 rb in two recruiting classes, if a few players go down and Erv phillips is suddenly the #2 I think your opinion would change real quick.

Second your answer to what Mcdonald would do if we were hit with injuries at RB isnt feasible at all. This team is no where near ready to become a team that throws the ball 75% of the time. Hunt is not that type of QB first of all and second the offense is still being modified and accompanying players brought in to match the system. No matter how good KJ, Custis and Ishmael look right now there still going to be Frosh and need time to adapt to the speed and play of high end Div 1 and to learn the playbook. Syracuse still needs a potent running game to be successful, we cant become Washington State after one year.

Concern to the point of identifying the 4th RB? I don't understand the concern b/c I don't know what is being advocated. If I have a choice between Erv (if he qualifies) as the 4th RB or recruiting another RB as insurance, then I choose rolling the dice. I would rather have a scholly available then just give in for depth needs. Does Syracuse have to recruit RB in 2015? Emphatically yes.

If this team stays healthy at WR and is down to just 2 backs, they will pass the ball more. However, this year is going to be such a mix of the 3, that I would be shocked if any have more then 15 carries (they may get more then 15 touches) per game consistently.

I am not counting on the frosh WR, I am counting on West, Broyld, Funderburke and Cornelius combined with some help at TE. This team is going to throw the ball a lot next year, IMO. Recruiting proves McDonald wants to do it and he tried to do it for a number of games to start the year. Will it work? I dunno, but I bet we are going to try it early on again.

Vaild points. But thats with most teams. If a team lose their top 3 backs to injury. It forces a freshman or 2 to fill in. If that was to happen Ameen Moore , Irv Phillips and Nas Howard can fill in until 1 or 2 backs get healthy again. Im still not too worried. But again valid points. 2015 is a huge need for RB's and Im hoping Mcdonald's recruiting can land a upper tier florida RB.

Vaild points. But thats with most teams. If a team lose their top 3 backs to injury. It forces a freshman or 2 to fill in. If that was to happen Ameen Moore , Irv Phillips and Nas Howard can fill in until 1 or 2 backs get healthy again. Im still not too worried. But again valid points. 2015 is a huge need for RB's and Im hoping Mcdonald's recruiting can land a upper tier florida RB.
Mr. Devine Ozigbo, next man up!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom