Class of 2014 - Mikale Wilbon, RB (Illinois) offered | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Mikale Wilbon, RB (Illinois) offered

Good comments, makes more sense now. I was thinking about how his potential commit might impact our chances with '15 RB recruits. Good points.
Lol I'm starting to get the hang of how the comments box works on syracusefan.com :D For some reason everytime I read this thread Adonis Ameen Moores name keeps popping into my head! Kids a bulldozer and can run. I hope we find him a spot this year he deffinatly deserves it (temple game he ran pretty well on 1st and 10 not just goal line)

Lol I'm starting to get the hang of how the comments box works on syracusefan.com :D For some reason everytime I read this thread Adonis Ameen Moores name keeps popping into my head! Kids a bulldozer and can run. I hope we find him a spot this year he deffinatly deserves it (temple game he ran pretty well on 1st and 10 not just goal line)

AAM has excellent feet for his size, the one thing that always stood out to me from his HS vids. Always hoped he would play a more significant role.

upperdeck said:
neb has 6 fr/so rbs on the rostter. Thier top 8 runners are all coming back.

Plus, their coach is on the hot seat. Good luck to him - but seems like an odd choice.

I’m thinking there is no way we backed off, but it makes sense depending on how many ships we have open and where the NEED lies.

Whatever the number of ships we have left you have to deduct 2 off the top for Ishmael and Ward. Then I think Defensive Tackles are the most important and I’d take both Harvey AND Samuels if I could. From there it’s a crap shoot, but we sure seem to be recruiting the hell out of the DB’s (multiple) and then it’s clear to me we’d still like 1 linebacker. Numbers and need you can make a case that Wilbon is the odd man out. I still would not be surprised to see him visit though.

If it's coming out of an article it must be coming from Wilbon himself right? We dont have our own writers making it up like you'd see from rutgers - particularly toad hunt.

Last edited:
I’m thinking there is no way we backed off, but it makes sense depending on how many ships we have open and where the NEED lies.

Whatever the number of ships we have left you have to deduct 2 off the top for Ishmael and Ward. Then I think Defensive Tackles is most important and I’d take both Harvey AND Samuels if I could. From there it’s a crap shoot, but we sure seem to be recruiting the hell out of the DB’s (multiple) and then it’s clear to me we’d still like 1 linebacker. Numbers and need you can make a case that Wilbon is the odd man out. I still would not be surprised to see him visit though.

If it's coming out of an article though it must be coming from Wilbon himself right?
This makes sense Phat. There's only so many spots and you have to prioritize to your needs. There could be very good reasons why SU backed off Wilbon. He waited a full week to commit them and there's a reason for it. Sounds like his opportunity with SU didn't materialize and he needed to get a spot somewhere.

Erv may have been recruited for the slot but hes getting his first run in the backfield, no way Syracuse goes two years without taking a RB.

Spot on. Everyone should take a step back before thinking that we didn't get a running back in this class. We did get one and his name is Erv Philips. And in case some of you might forget, we have MacFarlane and Morris for another 3 years each. We got plenty of time to land a stud RB and they already have a bunch of them lined up in the 2015 class.

The staff knows what they're doing and they still might land an unknown in this class.

Spot on. Everyone should take a step back before thinking that we didn't get a running back in this class. We did get one and his name is Erv Philips. And in case some of you might forget, we have MacFarlane and Morris for another 3 years each. We got plenty of time to land a stud RB and they already have a bunch of them lined up in the 2015 class.

The staff knows what they're doing and they still might land an unknown in this class.

Also, technically Naes is a RB as well, we are just moving him to DB. Just sayin.

I'm not all that convinced that power back is going to be part of the offense going forward and that's the main reason I'm not that concerned about RB at all. You have 3 guys that have played already, a Frosh coming in and then an emergency guy like Broyld who has played the position before if all 4 of them were hurt.

I think Ollison was the main power back type guy we recruited and I'm not even sure we were recruiting him as a RB - may have been as a LB.

I'm not all that convinced that power back is going to be part of the offense going forward and that's the main reason I'm not that concerned about RB at all. You have 3 guys that have played already, a Frosh coming in and then an emergency guy like Broyld who has played the position before if all 4 of them were hurt.

I think Ollison was the main power back type guy we recruited and I'm not even sure we were recruiting him as a RB - may have been as a LB.

I believe MacDonald really wants to open it up and spread the field and move to the scat back type, ala Oregon and TCU, TT etc, but man, I'm not at all convinced featherweight backs are the way to go. I'd prefer fast quick backs that are still powerful. Ish Witter for example and Wilbon.

Wilbon was 5-9 190 not really in the vein of Ollison, Jerome or Augustus Edwards.

we shall see I assume they have a plan.

I believe MacDonald really wants to open it up and spread the field and move to the scat back type, ala Oregon and TCU, TT etc, but man, I'm not at all convinced featherweight backs are the way to go. I'd prefer fast quick backs that are still powerful. Ish Witter for example and Wilbon.

Wilbon was 5-9 190 not really in the vein of Ollison, Jerome or Augustus Edwards.

McFarlane/Morris/Gulley will receive the bulk of carries next year.

McFarlane/Morris are going to see the majority the following year.

We brought Phillips in to replace Gulley. He'll redshirt then see action the next four years as the primary backup to the other two every-down type backs.

There will be 2 RBs in next years class that will be groomed in a similar way.

And if all else fails and by goodness you have injuries to three RBs, you have Howard or Broyld or Moore this coming year. The following year, Howard or Broyld are emergency guys, or the other two freshman RBs they will bring in.

Not dire situation at all. I think DT and upgrade at WR is a much greater concern.

We brought Phillips in to replace Gulley. He'll redshirt then see action the next four years as the primary backup to the other two every-down type backs.

And if all else fails and by goodness you have injuries to three RBs, you have Howard or Broyld or Moore this coming year. The following year, Howard or Broyld are emergency guys, or the other two freshman RBs they will bring in.

Not dire situation at all. I think DT and upgrade at WR is a much greater concern.

Well said, not to mention a QB that runs a lot!

Broylds days of playing RB are over, hes not an emergency back up there. Also AAM is pretty much a fullback who may or may not be back for his senior year this fall. Right now Syracuse will have 4 rbs going into next year, one of whom (Gulley) has a significant injury history. The situation isnt dire at RB but its certainly not great. Were an injury or two away form being in a real bad place there.

Jury is out on the decision to move away from the power back but from purely a recruiting standpoint, I'm not concerned because we have 4 guys in that mold. From how effective the offense will be perspective - that's a whole different story.

The irony is that the most talented recruit we lost last year due to the coaching change - Gus Edwards - is exactly the type of back that it appears the staff is moving away from. So if this change in philosophy works and works well, Gus wouldn't have been that big a loss after all, all things considered.

Broylds days of playing RB are over, hes not an emergency back up there. Also AAM is pretty much a fullback who may or may not be back for his senior year this fall. Right now Syracuse will have 4 rbs going into next year, one of whom (Gulley) has a significant injury history. The situation isnt dire at RB but its certainly not great. Were an injury or two away form being in a real bad place there.

That's like saying Esk's days of playing WR were over when he graduated from high school.

If injuries pile up, and Broyld is the best option, he will be playing RB.

That's like saying Esk's days of playing WR were over when he graduated from high school.

If injuries pile up, and Broyld is the best option, he will be playing RB.

No he wont, Broyld is not a Rb and neither he or the staff want him playing RB.

Is Eskridge a WR?

No hes not but playing a CB who played WR in highschool a few snaps at WR is a little bit different considering Bryold didnt play RB in high school and doesnt want to play there. Eskridge playing there was a one off due to injuries.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom