Mike Hart to Indiana | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hart to Indiana

My IU friends tell me that the new IU OC was Hart's coach at Michigan and that another IU assistant was a Michigan teammate of Hart.

That may not explain his departure from Syracuse University but helps explain why he ended up at IU.
Yes, that is what I was saying above. He had a chance to work with people he knew using a system he was familiar with. And he gets to recruit in an area he has experience recruiting.

I think he will be successful there. Best wishes to him.

I think this is great news. I'm seriously ecstatic about it. I've never publicly said it but I wasn't enamored with Mike as a RB coach or as a recruiter. I recently alluded to it in another post that RB coach is the one position we should go out and get a dynamic recruiter; a Stan Drayton type.

Mike didn't strike me as a strong recruiter and there's always the elephant in the room about him shunning his hometown team for Michigan. That's a tuff sell in imho.

The RB's were less than spectacular and our best one is transferring.

This is a huge opportunity to really go out and get an ace recruiter who can coach RBs.
I agree here. Who has he locked down for us. We went after a few good RBs and we really didn't close the deal like we were hoping for. He really hadn't set the world on fire for us as a recruiter. jmo

He was offered significantly more than we pay him . Shame on our AD for letting him go . When you are not a top 10 or 25 for that matter team and you don't get the big recruits you must over pay and have the best of everything you can control to get better ! SMH this is a bad loss

I agree here. Who has he locked down for us. We went after a few good RBs and we really didn't close the deal like we were hoping for. He really hadn't set the world on fire for us as a recruiter. jmo

Yep I think those who are freaking out are enamored with the name Mike Hart, as opposed to the recruiter and RB coach that he was. Solid guy but not exactly the end of the world. Excited to see who we replace him with

He was offered significantly more than we pay him . Shame on our AD for letting him go . When you are not a top 10 or 25 for that matter team and you don't get the big recruits you must over pay and have the best of everything you can control to get better ! SMH this is a bad loss
And you know this how?

Life is always about who you know , trust me this is pure fact , I don't blame him but cmon cuse AD , we only get 3star at best players , we were 4-8 , we have the losing stigma and all the snow talk , we should have the best of the best in everything we can control ! Build the best mouse trap if not history will repeat itself

If so, how do you know that Dino didn't think it worth fighting for... especially if things weren't gelling?

And you know this how?

Yes, how is this info obtained and why was there an avenue of communication in the first place? Did IU just offer outta the blue? It usually takes someone reaching out and looking to go elsewhere in a situation like this. IU is a school very similar to us. A hoops school looking to make fb great, although IU doesn't have the hx we do. Still say this is more about lack of chemistry with dino's O.

Life is always about who you know , trust me this is pure fact , I don't blame him but cmon cuse AD , we only get 3star at best players , we were 4-8 , we have the losing stigma and all the snow talk , we should have the best of the best in everything we can control ! Build the best mouse trap if not history will repeat itself
Hate to break it to you, but Hart is not the best of the best for RB coaches. Maybe the didn't think he was worth the pay raise. We on year 2 settle down with the we only get 3 star players at best and calling out the AD.

Hate to break it to you, but Hart is not the best of the best for RB coaches. Maybe the didn't think he was worth the pay raise. We on year 2 settle down with the we only get 3 star players at best and calling out the AD.
Exactly. Other than the facts that he was a good college back in an overrated B1G and he was from Syracuse, I don't know what he did that was especially great. I like having local guys on the staff, but he doesn't strike me as irreplaceable.

Mike Hart was the most football accomplished recruiter on the staff, and young, trust me he left, he didn't get fired due to lack of knowledge of the scheme , you think Babers would "fire" him days before jr day with players he is recruiting making an on campus visit ? hardest thing for us to do is get them on campus for a visit . Recruits like when former college stars and NFl players recruit them it is a big loss and a loss due to money. It seems as every time we lose a recruit or coach its no big deal they weren't that good, but when we have them they are god . I believe in Babers and staff but without wins not many 4 stars are coming. build the best weight room, nicest dorms, best food, best staff, best of everything .

Mike Hart was the most football accomplished recruiter on the staff, and young, trust me he left, he didn't get fired due to lack of knowledge of the scheme , you think Babers would "fire" him days before jr day with players he is recruiting making an on campus visit ? hardest thing for us to do is get them on campus for a visit . Recruits like when former college stars and NFl players recruit them it is a big loss and a loss due to money. It seems as every time we lose a recruit or coach its no big deal they weren't that good, but when we have them they are god . I believe in Babers and staff but without wins not many 4 stars are coming. build the best weight room, nicest dorms, best food, best staff, best of everything .
Sure he had NFL experience big deal that doesn't translate to recruiting at all. He clearly is not the best of the best, sure he is good and upcoming.
Not sure where I said Babers "fired" him?
It's not a big loss at all, we will be fine and I'll go out on a limb here. We will find a better coach to fill this spot.

You are absolutely correct. You need to spend a $hytload of money (wisely) to be good. But I still believe that Mike wasn't "one of the guys", the Baber's crew. He was an outsider and he jumped at the chance to work with guys he knew and felt comfortable with. Even if we matched his offer I think he was still gone.

IU spent $255k on their last running backs coach. He left to take a gig at USC.

You're nuts. Hart can't hold Monroe's jock in terms of recruiting. The most accomplished on the staff? Wow what a joke.

Hart is average as a RB coach and below average as a recruiter. I'm glad he's gone so now we can upgrade our staff.

Last edited:

Went from losing a RB coach to not winning a bunch of games real quick... the offense will be fine without him.

Fellas care taker has some knowledge of the situation and I agree Hart is a up incoming recruiter who is very well respected but like I said before, the actual coaching of the position is replaceable. There is no evidence that Hart is one of the best teachers of the position. At least, not yet. We can find anyone who can coach the RB. Lynch coached the RB's before ( he was a center in college) lol. We need a recruiter with this position.

I have nothing against him, and I wish him the best. But the guy is a position coach w/ what, 1 year of P5 experience under his belt. SU FB might not return to prominence in the immediate future, but it won't be because Mike Hart went to IU.

Position coaches come and go, always have always will. Dino has his guys who won't come and go for the most part but people hand wringing over the loss of Mike Hart? Please...

If you are results oriented on and off the field he was average, which is very replaceable. Next coach please who will leave in 2-3 years, wash rinse repeat

How did this place become Freak-Out Nation? We lost a RB's coach and he will be replaced, in time. My guess is that he fits better with the IU system than ours. Mike Hart is a good person, a local guy who made good. Coach Babers will find a suitable replacement. Our program will continue.

How did this place become Freak-Out Nation? We lost a RB's coach and he will be replaced, in time. My guess is that he fits better with the IU system than ours. Mike Hart is a good person, a local guy who made good. Coach Babers will find a suitable replacement. Our program will continue.

I'm not sure that we will continue. My sources tell me Wildhack and Dino are in high level meetings today discussing whether to shut the program down.

If DB thought keeping Hart was important and a great coach and the money was reasonable, Hart would probably still be here (although kowtowing to an assistant's money demands opens up issues with every other assistant).

assistants come and go. That's the life they choose. I'd recommend not falling in love with assistants or your heart will be broken on a regular basis.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom