Mike Hopkins is our next coach... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Hopkins is our next coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.
And here I thought that this thread was a civil discussion of the topic espoused in the OP...
I probably spoke to soon but just wait it will get there. Mike Hopkins will be our next coach and spending time talking about how we should do a national search is a waste of time in my opinion. I like Hop and want him to succeed and part of that is me not trying to replace him before he even gets his shot. I would prefer we talk about who our head assistant should be and how we help Hop succeed. I actually think Hop is the one advantage we have over Duke (Capel) and UNC (?). When they replace K and Roy I think we will be in better position coach wise.

I probably spoke to soon but just wait it will get there. Mike Hopkins will be our next coach and spending time talking about how we should do a national search is a waste of time in my opinion. I like Hop and want him to succeed and part of that is me not trying to replace him before he even gets his shot. I would prefer we talk about who our head assistant should be and how we help Hop succeed. I actually think Hop is the one advantage we have over Duke (Capel) and UNC (?). When they replace K and Roy I think we will be in better position coach wise.

Exactly what I was trying to get to.

Hopefully, our beloved program's results won't follow the same precedent set forth by these two "loyal" achievers.

images

upload_2017-1-4_12-2-9.jpeg

stop the nonsense about candidates will get turned off if they don't honor the Hop deal.

they could just fire him after 1 year and move on then. it doesn't matter.

the good of the program is all that matters...and real, experienced, successful coaches would be lining up to coach in front of 30k and in the ACC.
The good of the program isn't all that matters. How machiavellian of you. The decision was made to give Hopkins the opportunity and he has done nothing to not get that opportunity. It's not just about turning other candidates off to the program, it would turn me off. I'm proud of Syracuse basketball and everything we have accomplished and stand for. I don't want us to lose that.

The good of the program isn't all that matters. How machiavellian of you. The decision was made to give Hopkins the opportunity and he has done nothing to not get that opportunity. It's not just about turning other candidates off to the program, it would turn me off. I'm proud of Syracuse basketball and everything we have accomplished and stand for. I don't want us to lose that.
loyalty and standing strong is what you got this year.

enjoy.

Open the check book for Billy Donovan.
Pitino Jr. is being groomed for the Louisville job.
Donovan would be ideal.
Remember this saying from Bill Belichick. He didn't want to replace Bill Parcells.
"You don't want to be the guy that replaces THE GUY. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy after THE GUY"
This logic applies across sports all legends.

Never will happen. Why would he leave?

Correct and Jay makes more than Boeheim at Nova. People don't put much thought into that. We are going to hire Boeheim's replacement at a higher salary than what we pay Boeheim?

Correct and Jay makes more than Boeheim at Nova. People don't put much thought into that. We are going to hire Boeheim's replacement at a higher salary than what we pay Boeheim?
the alumni discount era is OVER.

Open the check book for Billy Donovan.
Pitino Jr. is being groomed for the Louisville job.
Donovan would be ideal.
Remember this saying from Bill Belichick. He didn't want to replace Bill Parcells.
"You don't want to be the guy that replaces THE GUY. You want to be the guy that replaces the guy after THE GUY"
This logic applies across sports all legends.

Donovan makes 3 times as much as Boeheim at OKC.

Guthridge was over 60 when he got the job. Not a great comparison.

Maybe not in your view...moreover, the larger point I was attempting to make was two "loyal" but unproven assistants with absolutely no tract record at all took over for HOF coaches at very high level programs with less than stellar results.

the alumni discount era is OVER.

I think if we went to a national search we would be far more likely to hire someone from the MAAC or Big Sky than we would another Power 5 coach.

Syracuse isn't the only long time top ten program in this spot. It's coming for Duke and UNC as well.

Donovan makes 3 times as much as Boeheim at OKC.
We have the cash to pay. With the attendance we can draw and TV $$$.
The question is does the administration want to pay for success.
JB has saved us a lot of money. We need to open the coffers which we have.

We have the cash to pay. With the attendance we can draw and TV $$$.
The question is does the administration want to pay for success.
JB has saved us a lot of money. We need to open the coffers which we have.

Probably would open up a can a worms with Babers, but I hear you.

I don't disagree with a lot of the points being made. I just disagree with people that think we are going to tear up the contract. Most likely not going to happen. We need to ensure he succeeds and I think that means bringing in an A plus recruiter.

The issue turning on Hop isn't what it says to candidates. What do they care? I'd be more worried about how that was handled with the wider SU basketball community and donors. A fresh face would need to leverage the full support of the SU community, and Hop is extremely well liked with former players, big donors, etc. If new guy didn't have those people behind him...well, I'd rather have a mediocre Hop then an outside replacement who flames out after three years.

Probably would open up a can a worms with Babers, but I hear you.

I don't disagree with a lot of the points being made. I just disagree with people that think we are going to tear up the contract. Most likely not going to happen. We need to ensure he succeeds and I think that means bringing in an A plus recruiter.
How the hell can Syracuse administration think they can compete nationally without opening the checkbook. And elite coach is going to cost $4-5 million a year.when you're averaging 20,000 people per game and or probably even more than that the program is a cash cow. That isn't even accounting for parking, concessions ,donations and other revenue streams like merchandising.
With the tax laws I know and trust me we have better lawyers than me we are writing off a lot. If this university will not pay for basketball and football coaches then honestly what is the point.
I mean we probably have scholarships endowed as well, the only expenses we really have are for the charter plane and hotel coaching salaries for the next staff should have a budget double what JB has now.

I think if we went to a national search we would be far more likely to hire someone from the MAAC or Big Sky than we would another Power 5 coach.

Syracuse isn't the only long time top ten program in this spot. It's coming for Duke and UNC as well.

Exactly. Why does anyone think it's a foregone conclusion Syracuse could get an established, successful, high D1 head coach? As has already been pointed out, who would want to replace an icon, especially when the program is looking to be in rough spot? Plus, the university has never shown an inclination to pay a coach the kind of money it would take to pry someone away from another school where they've already been successful. Living in Syracuse ain't gonna do it either, unless all they know is that MSG is a home game. The Syracuse gig just isn't going to be a step up for a head coach at most P5 schools.

There are plenty of examples of career AC's getting their chance and failing, succeeding, or having mediocre careers. I don't draw any conclusions from a few cherry picked examples. I just believe that our chances of the program not dropping off would be higher bringing in a Jay Wright, a Sean Miller, a Gregg Marshall, and yes--a Shaka Smart than it would bringing in a generally unproven commodity with 9 games of coaching experience that didn't go well under his belt.

It is probably a moot point--as Jake / Dasher have said, Wildhack probably will honor the deal.

1st Point I would make is hiring a coach is an extremely uncertain endeavor. No matter which route we take there are no guarantees that we (i) make a great decision (because the decision is likely going to be a group decision to some degree - doubt it would be 100% Wildhack's decision to make) or (ii) that the candidate selected no matter how great a decision it seems at the time, actually works out. Every time someone hires a new head coach at any level the people doing the hiring believe they are making a good decision for the program/franchise they are hiring for and they expect that coach to have success. However, the nature of the beast is that the majority of these hires will not be as successful as the people hiring them intend for them to be. I mean everyone that is competing at a major level expects to win...and inherently everyone can't.

2nd Point - what makes you think that SU would invest the money in its basketball coach to bring the caliber of coach that you have suggested as example good candidates. They are all making big money, none have ties to SU and none would come cheap. Given what the reality of the situation is, this course would be doubly costly because we'd also likely be paying some form of buyout/break up fee to Hop on top of whatever we were paying the new coach. While it may make sense to hire someone who is a proven winner; I don't think circumstances would allow us to get the caliber of guy that our fanbase would be satisfied with in place of Hop. Just as an idea here are salaries that USA today published. I think these are a little stale, but it gives you the idea that most anyone that you are going to view as "proven" is going to be mucho $$$. You run out of proven candidates very quickly if you aren't willing/able to blow their socks off or they don't have a nature allegiance to your program.

Sean Miller AZ $4.5 million
Bob Huggins WV $3.325 million
Kevin Ollie UConn $3.1 million
Greg Marshall WSU $3 million
Lon Kruger OK $2.8 million
Smart TX $2.8 million
Beilein Mich. $2.76 million
Krystkowiak Utah $2.5 million
Matt Painter Purdue $2.4 million
Buzz Williams Va Tech $2.3 million
Mark Turgeon MD $2.3 million
JB SU $2.144 million
Tony Bennett UVA $2.1 million
Ed Cooley Prov. $1.6 million

3rd Point - To a degree JB may be the best person to know what it will take to succeed on a go forward as coach at SU. Certainly his opinion has to be given weight and he has backed Hopkins.

I would love it if Hopkins had 5-10 years of head coaching experience on his resume, but he doesn't. He does however have experiences that you won't get from other candidates. He has learned under one of the best. He understands SU (the school, the community, the administration, the basketball alumni and the fanbase), he has USA basketball experience.

There are no guarantees in life. Hop may not work out, but he is a reasonable hire.

Maybe not in your view...moreover, the larger point I was attempting to make was two "loyal" but unproven assistants with absolutely no tract record at all took over for HOF coaches at very high level programs with less than stellar results.
Guthridge went to the FF two out of his three years as HC (1998 and 2000), granted with Dean Smith's team in '98. Maybe you're confusing him with Matt Doherty? Esherick wasn't really groomed as a HC successor and I don't think he was highly sought after like Hop has been. In fact, he took over when JTII retired mid-season.

Never will happen. Why would he leave?

new challenge, more money, better conference, better schedule, better facilities, better lots of things. There's nothing tying him there, his wife's an alum, big deal

new challenge, more money, better conference, better schedule, better facilities, better lots of things. There's nothing tying him there, his wife's an alum, big deal

He get's paid more than JB now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors