Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

Here’s my opinion:
JB is close to ready to retire.
NCAA comes down hard on SU, to the point where it is obvious to everyone - most especially the AD and JB - that there a going to be a couple of bumpy seasons ahead.
AD and JB both know this would be a rough stretch to throw Hop into. It would look like a step backwards. AD knows JB can weather it, he has equity in the collective fan base. Hop would be judged more harshly.
Despite promises to Hop, AD asks JB to stay on and views this as a “re-stabilizing” period. JB agrees, but doesn’t really want to set a timeline on it. AD suggests 5 years so it cannot be used as a recruiting tool against SU in the short term. JB agrees.
Hop gets offer. Recognizes an opportunity. Both sides agree that the timing is good for Hop to strike out.
JB has to Coach a couple of years with limited scholarships, compounded by early departures yet still puts together a tournament team with string and duct tape. Established another top recruiting class to help ease the situation.
Bonus: JB gets to coach his own son for a couple/few years.
Bonus II - Hop takes over a P5 team in a conference that is in his home region and is ripe for the picking.
Just my opinion...

Add the Dad stuff, and that should cover it

No one should be throwing any absolutes in this speculation. There are just too many factors at play. The only thing I'm pretty sure of is that once JB retires, there will not be a shortage of candidates to take over a program capable of putting 36k fans in the stands.

It will be a national search...one that likely commences after a phone call to Seattle.

You are nuts..and last years class? Weak in your eyes since they weren't ranked in the top 100 at all? I think UK,Duke and all the other bluebloods would take Oshae over 95% of their freshmen

last years class was pretty weak. OB was the only impact player until marek found his groove during the last month. pretty hot take saying OB would start over 95% of the other freshmen considering he isn't even considered first round yet

last years class was pretty weak. OB was the only impact player until marek found his groove during the last month. pretty hot take saying OB would start over 95% of the other freshmen considering he isn't even considered first round yet

You’d be wrong if you don’t think he was one of the top 50 freshman in the country.

So are there even 5% who are? Get real. Five freshman first rounders this year would be more like it.

OB is very likely to be a first round pick next year. Bourama would have been an impact player this year if not for his knee problem.

So are there even 5% who are? Get real. Five freshman first rounders this year would be more like it.

OB is very likely to be a first round pick next year. Bourama would have been an impact player this year if not for his knee problem.

i was replying to another post in which he said that duke, Kentucky etc would take OB 95% of the time over their own freshmen. that's just false

i was replying to another post in which he said that duke, Kentucky etc would take OB 95% of the time over their own freshmen. that's just false

Regardless, he was a stud recruit and proved it on the court - and was clearly underrated due to being from Canada. Marek had a nice year, and Sidibe showed potential. He won us that one Pitt game.

Pretty good class, regardless of what the high school rankings said.

And good chance that “pretty good” doesn’t do it justice if Sidibe is healthy next year.

good thing i didn't say that then!

Ok. You’d be wrong if you don’t think he’d start over 95% of the freshman in the country. Same difference.

Ok. You’d be wrong if you don’t think he’d start over 95% of the freshman in the country. Same difference.

Actually he said take. He’s right.

Ya definitey didnt say start but there’s bagley and Ayton...and who else that had a better freshmen season from the blue bloods and top tier programs?

Oshae technically wasnt in the top 100 in rankings so lets go the top 101 freshmen this year...name me 5 that had a better season than Oshae...Ayton, Bagley, Young, Carter and ??? Maybe Mo bamba...

Hop will be back. He just has to stay decent at UW and not get fired (which I dont think he will at all). With him running the show, watch out!!
Doesn’t get fired. He just took a team that won 8 games and won 20 and was conference coach of the year. He’s not getting fired.

Here’s my opinion:
JB is close to ready to retire.
NCAA comes down hard on SU, to the point where it is obvious to everyone - most especially the AD and JB - that there a going to be a couple of bumpy seasons ahead.
AD and JB both know this would be a rough stretch to throw Hop into. It would look like a step backwards. AD knows JB can weather it, he has equity in the collective fan base. Hop would be judged more harshly.
Despite promises to Hop, AD asks JB to stay on and views this as a “re-stabilizing” period. JB agrees, but doesn’t really want to set a timeline on it. AD suggests 5 years so it cannot be used as a recruiting tool against SU in the short term. JB agrees.
Hop gets offer. Recognizes an opportunity. Both sides agree that the timing is good for Hop to strike out.
JB has to Coach a couple of years with limited scholarships, compounded by early departures yet still puts together a tournament team with string and duct tape. Established another top recruiting class to help ease the situation.
Bonus: JB gets to coach his own son for a couple/few years.
Bonus II - Hop takes over a P5 team in a conference that is in his home region and is ripe for the picking.
Just my opinion...
This is a really nice story. I wish it happened that way.

Hop is not coaching here.

If it gets to the point where Hop is a legit possibility to succeed JB that will mean that he will have built UW into a power in the pac 12 AND i don't see him leaving that.

And that doesn't even touch the stuff mason alluded to.

Also I am slowly accepting the fact that Gerry McNamara is going to be the next SU head coach and I need a drink.

I think you are correct re the next SU HC and I need 5 drinks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom