Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Mike Waters - personal reason why Hop left

Why would he be picked over Autry and Griffin?

Red is great. I made that point. Not sure what Griffin has done besides sign a guy who committed to the G league. He’s got the most to do if you ask me.

Here’s my opinion:
JB is close to ready to retire.
NCAA comes down hard on SU, to the point where it is obvious to everyone - most especially the AD and JB - that there a going to be a couple of bumpy seasons ahead.
AD and JB both know this would be a rough stretch to throw Hop into. It would look like a step backwards. AD knows JB can weather it, he has equity in the collective fan base. Hop would be judged more harshly.
Despite promises to Hop, AD asks JB to stay on and views this as a “re-stabilizing” period. JB agrees, but doesn’t really want to set a timeline on it. AD suggests 5 years so it cannot be used as a recruiting tool against SU in the short term. JB agrees.
Hop gets offer. Recognizes an opportunity. Both sides agree that the timing is good for Hop to strike out.
JB has to Coach a couple of years with limited scholarships, compounded by early departures yet still puts together a tournament team with string and duct tape. Established another top recruiting class to help ease the situation.
Bonus: JB gets to coach his own son for a couple/few years.
Bonus II - Hop takes over a P5 team in a conference that is in his home region and is ripe for the picking.
Just my opinion...
Good theory. Not what happened.

Coaches move around these days. Boeheim's retirement should be the sweet spot for Hop to leave on top and before the program regresses. Yes he would probably say no tomorrow if out of nowhere Boeheim retired.

He had a great season when the team was expected to be awful. That means he has no pressure on him years 2-3. If he wants to have no pressure on him come year 5 he likely needs a final four or multiple trips to the second weekend. If hes done well but not that well its a smart move to return home before he has a bad year and his stock drops. His good first year isn't going to matter for long.

That school likely has unrealistic recruiting expectations for him. Assuming both Porters go 1st round that will be 5 first rounders in the last 3 drafts his predecessor signed. Fair or unfair thats what the fanbase will expect. And their monster class last year ended up being duds Norwell who stayed and Jontae Porter who may not have reclassified for UW were the only ones who did anything. Michael Porter played 30 minutes of basketball all season and Mammadou Diarra and Blake Harris did nothing at Cincy and Missou.

This is a program that hasn't made the tournament since 2011 and the Final four since 1953.

But he "needs a final four" by year five. OK.

He inherited a 9-22 team, lost Romars recruiting class, and still did well enough to earn PAC12 COY. The AD is going to give him some slack, and no where have i seen any evidence that the fanbase is going to expect he continue to recruit at Romars level because...reasons?

What happened chief?
Your profile suggests you are new here. Jake is one of a handful of posters on here who has true inside information. There are times when due to the nature of either the information or the source of same, he cannot elaborate. Just learn to trust in Jake.
Jake his so trustworthy that when he broke Fab Melo to SU here, I passed it in to a sports guy I know and told him he could run with it. The guy got skewered on the internet, until Fab announced.

Last edited:
triggered
Marlin_Lure_Attack.gif

I have no idea if Hop is coming back. Nor do I have any inside information. But as for his quote that he wants to build something in Washington, he has to say that. Anything at all about coming back to Syracuse in the future, and it gets blasted everywhere. It's possible he really does want to do what he says. And it's possible he is giving lip service. I'm cool either way. Coaches are paid to win, not tell the whole truth to the press. If he does decide to leave, there may be a little whining about how he said he wanted to build something there, but people will get over it (for the most part, I know some are still bitter about Marrone). He won't get to move to a better job unless he does well at UW.

Griff just got here. He will end up being a very strong recruiter.

He's older than GMAC and has been an assistant coach longer:
Syracuse University

And Autry is the "Associate Head Coach". I doubt someone will prompted over him for the head job.

I never knew being "older" automatically qualified someone for a job.

It's called seniority, both by age and time in the profession. Of course Autry has them both on those scores and is the "associate head coach".

I know one poster in particular would disagree with your assessment on this :) But he did improve.
Even when I intentionally let one go I get shade thrown at me...

Sheesh.

I never knew being "older" automatically qualified someone for a job.
I don't think it does, but he is more experienced and has been around the block more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom