MLAX 2021 Schedule is out | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

MLAX 2021 Schedule is out

We dodged a bullet not getting UNC or Duke twice. Even with the Aitken news I still think this is the easiest possible outcome for an acc schedule.

No Cornell, Rutgers, Hobart, or Hopkins. Cornell hurts the most since they would be a SOS/resume booster and they are just down the road, not to mention the traditional rivalry.

Losing those names creates a seemingly huge gap between our difficult games and our easy ones. Cornell would be a challenge, but Hobart, Rutgers, and Hopkins would be our more dangerous middle of the pack type games that we should win, but would also boost the resume if we do. Now pretty much Army and Albany are the only ones in that category while the rest of the out of conference games could be considered "cupcakes."

From what I know most of the game you mentioned were not an option for a few reasons. IVY league is still in a holding pattern and unlikely to play at this point. I believe that Hobart being off the schedule was a conference issue with Hobart. I don't know anything concrete on Rutty and Hop but if I had to guess I believe there was likely a mutual agreement on both ends that it couldn't be worked out due to the lesser schedules for some teams and increase in conf games for the ACC.

One other thing to keep in mind, Aitken returning is an enormous lift for UVA and Hofstra and to a lesser extend Stony Brook is no pushover especially if certain players are unavailable which seems likely unfortunately.

ACC should consider adding Utah as it’s 6th member for lacrosse.
One road trip every 2 years.
It would help them get crowds and help the ACC get an auto bid.

Not an option at this time unfortunately, ACC doesn't want any more partial members (besides ND). Would have to be an ACC school or a change in philosophy, neither is close to imminent.

Not an option at this time unfortunately, ACC doesn't want any more partial members (besides ND). Would have to be an ACC school or a change in philosophy, neither is close to imminent.
Boston College needs to bring back men's lacrosse. They have a top women's team, so it makes sense.

Full schedule:
02/21 - Army - 1pm
02/27 - Virginia - 1pm
03/06 - Vermont - 1pm
03/13 - Stony Brook - 1pm
03/20 - Hofstra - 1pm
03/27 - @Duke - 1pm
04/03 - Notre Dame - 1pm
04/09 - Albany - TBD
04/17 - UNC - 1pm
04/24 - @Virginia - 1pm
05/01 - @Notre Dame - TBD
05/08 - Utah - 1pm

No Hobart!?

All things considered, this is a pretty good schedule. A few thoughts on it.

~ Opening with Army is less then ideal. I noted in a private discussion that I was surprised there were no MAAC teams on the schedule. Opening up with a Siena or St. Bonaventure would have been ideal. Opening with Army with potentially multiple starters suspended, recipe for disaster. One silver lining is that Army could not offer to bring anyone back so they lost all their seniors from last year including multiple starters. Nichtern and their goalie are both excellent though.

~ Same thoughts on UVA, not exactly the opponent your looking to play that early but it is what it is. SU at worst needs to split the first two games, an 0-2 start would be disastrous.

~ With this schedule SU plays no mid week games which Desko has to be thrilled about.

~ If your looking for the spot to go on a streak its 3/13-4/3, three mid level opponents and then back to back games with Duke and ND. SU needs to be 4-1 here, if they can do that or better I really think it bodes well for the year. Several trip ups there and were in trouble.

~ I wouldn't be surprised if Hobart tries to get on the schedule, psosibly late in the season. Would make a lot of sense for both programs.

~ If SU is hurt by the potential suspensions and on the "bubble" the end of the schedule offers some nice opportunities. UNC, UVA, ND and then what should be a reasonable easier game in Utah.

~ All in all a good schedule, no a fan of opening with Army and I would have liked a cupcake type team later in the year to break up the murders row but its doable.

Boston College needs to bring back men's lacrosse. They have a top women's team, so it makes sense.

With Title 9, that appears highly unlikely unfortunately.

Interesting, Colgate appears to be playing VMI, an out of conference opponent. Wonder why they weren’t able to figure something out with the Orange.

From the Rehfuss article:

The Orange had tentatively scheduled a season-opening game vs. Vermont for the second weekend in February. That game has since been canceled (and was canceled prior to the Catamounts’ recent shutdown of their athletic department), and it’s expected that the Orange will begin their season vs. Army in the third weekend of February.

From the Rehfuss article:

The Orange had tentatively scheduled a season-opening game vs. Vermont for the second weekend in February. That game has since been canceled (and was canceled prior to the Catamounts’ recent shutdown of their athletic department), and it’s expected that the Orange will begin their season vs. Army in the third weekend of February.

That makes a lot of sense that they wanted to open with Vermont.

That makes a lot of sense that they wanted to open with Vermont.

Would have made for almost no preseason practice time. Two weeks? As much as I would want to open with an easier opponent think it’s best they get some more practice time under their belt.

Is practice starting as late as it is because they wanted the disciplinary process to resolve itself? Maybe not give I don’t think the women are practicing either.

Would have made for almost no preseason practice time. Two weeks? As much as I would want to open with an easier opponent think it’s best they get some more practice time under their belt.

Is practice starting as late as it is because they wanted the disciplinary process to resolve itself? Maybe not give I don’t think the women are practicing either.

Start of the semester was pushed back due to Covid. Maybe that's it?

I think it was likely multiple factors including Vermont being bumped back and the later start at OE noted.

With Title 9, that appears highly unlikely unfortunately.

Title IX is not a barrier, it's an obstacle. And at a school with the endowment and admissions figures of BC, it's strikes me as barely a speed bump. BC doesn't have (NCAA) men's lacrosse because it does not want or need (NCAA) men's lacrosse.

Title IX is not a barrier, it's an obstacle. And at a school with the endowment and admissions figures of BC, it's strikes me as barely a speed bump. BC doesn't have (NCAA) men's lacrosse because it does not want or need (NCAA) men's lacrosse.
The argument in the past always seemed to be about money. Their disaster of an AD (who fired both Al Skinner and Jeff Jagodzinski) always said, "I'll start a _______ team when Florida State starts a hockey team." Both UVa squash clubs were moved up to varsity status because a Sugar Daddy put up the bucks to endow them. I guess BC needs one for MLax.

The argument in the past always seemed to be about money. Their disaster of an AD (who fired both Al Skinner and Jeff Jagodzinski) always said, "I'll start a _______ team when Florida State starts a hockey team." Both UVa squash clubs were moved up to varsity status because a Sugar Daddy put up the bucks to endow them. I guess BC needs one for MLax.
It always amazes me that Columbia doesn’t have a men‘s lacrosse team. Not every school offers all sports In every league. Cuse doesn’t have baseball and men‘s ice hockey. BC AD was a moron!

Louisville always felt like a school that could add it.

I believe Utah became D1 because of the sugar daddy situation u referenced

It always amazes me that Columbia doesn’t have a men‘s lacrosse team. Not every school offers all sports In every league. Cuse doesn’t have baseball and men‘s ice hockey. BC AD was a moron!

I believe you're right about Utah because they still don't have WLax.

Using that AD's name on the BC indy board is like using a curse word.

Yep - "need" and "want." "We don't really 'need' lacrosse, or 'want' lacrosse, but if so-and-so is paying, we're playin."

Looking at BC's Athletics website, they have a lot of teams already and it's quite balanced amongst sports. So maybe I stand corrected on Title IX being a barrier? Not sure what women's sport they could add to offset the men's scholarship opportunities if varsity mlax was offered.

they used to have men’s lax. And with the strength of the area talent and club teams they could have a good program pretty quickly in my opinion

Last edited:

Louisville could absolutely fund a team and it would be a perfect program to do so. What’s crazy is the city of Louisville Kentucky has a Division I lacrosse team with Bellarmine

Last edited:
I believe I’ve posted this before. There’s more to it than just money.

From the NCAA’s website:

Q. How is Title IX applied to athletics?

Athletics programs are considered educational programs and activities. There are three basic parts of Title IX as it applies to athletics:
  1. Participation: Title IX requires that women and men be provided equitable opportunities to participate in sports. Title IX does not require institutions to offer identical sports but an equal opportunity to play;
  2. Scholarships: Title IX requires that female and male student-athletes receive athletics scholarship dollars proportional to their participation; and
  3. Other benefits: Title IX requires the equal treatment of female and male student-athletes in the provisions of: (a) equipment and supplies; (b) scheduling of games and practice times; (c) travel and daily allowance/per diem; (d) access to tutoring; (e) coaching, (f) locker rooms, practice and competitive facilities; (g) medical and training facilities and services; (h) housing and dining facilities and services; (i) publicity and promotions; (j) support services and (k) recruitment of student-athletes.

I believe I’ve posted this before. There’s more to it than just money.

From the NCAA’s website:

Q. How is Title IX applied to athletics?

#1 is the big driver.

Don’t know BC’s female/male ratio but if they’re 55% female then their athletic opportunities have to reflect that.

BC’s football eats into that ratio which would further hinder its ability to add a men’s team like lax.

#1 is the big driver.

Don’t know BC’s female/male ratio but if they’re 55% female then their athletic opportunities have to reflect that.

BC’s football eats into that ratio which would further hinder its ability to add a men’s team like lax.

Precisely. Adding a men’s team with 40 players might require creating 45 or so additional opportunities for women. That could be two additional teams, depending on the sport, on top of the new men’s lacrosse team. That’s three new teams. So yeah it’s a money issue, but it goes way beyond the funding of one new team.

Men’s Lacrosse
  • Regular season begins the weekend of Feb. 5-7.
  • Teams will play a six-game conference schedule, including two home-and-home series.
  • Non-conference games are at the discretion of the respective institution.
  • There will be no ACC Men’s Lacrosse Championship this season (regular-season champion will be the official ACC champion).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom