MLB offseason talk | Page 19 | Syracusefan.com

MLB offseason talk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Surprised he received 27 of 30 first place votes. Thought Judge would get (and deserved) more support there given his tremendous all-around season.

I do too, for some reason a lot of Met fans don't, he was a great Met, people need to get over that strikeout by Wainright.

That pitch from Wainwright probably strikes out every hitter in baseball. Just a great pitch.

I guess those people forgot Beltran hit the game winning HR in game 1 of that series, as well as 2 HR in game 4.

Who you got in the HOF this year? I think we're looking at a 4 man class, which a lot of people seem to be predicting. Thome and Chipper are no brainers to me and I think Vlad Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman make it after getting really close last year.

Chipper Jones, Jim Thome highlight 2018 HOF ballot

Chipper is a lock.

Hoffman and Guerrero are getting in.

Thome should be a lock but steroids could keep him out as a first ballot guy.

I would also vote for Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Mussina.

Chipper is a lock.

Hoffman and Guerrero are getting in.

Thome should be a lock but steroids could keep him out as a first ballot guy.

I would also vote for Bonds, Clemens, Schilling, Mussina.

Were there ever any serious rumors about Thome though? I don't really remember hearing anything serious but maybe I am being naive. Or do you think enough are skeptical about that whole era to keep him out this time?

Who you got in the HOF this year? I think we're looking at a 4 man class, which a lot of people seem to be predicting. Thome and Chipper are no brainers to me and I think Vlad Guerrero and Trevor Hoffman make it after getting really close last year.

I think Jones, Guerrero, Hoffman get in along with surprise Mussina.

I think Jones, Guerrero, Hoffman get in along with surprise Mussina.

I'd have no issue at all with Mussina. I had to review his stats to remember how good he was. I'd be surprised if more than 4 get in. Has that ever happened after the initial years of the HOF?

I'd have no issue at all with Mussina. I had to review his stats to remember how good he was. I'd be surprised if more than 4 get in. Has that ever happened after the initial years of the HOF?
I don't believe more than four have been voted in by the writers in recent times but would have to check. Mussina definitely belongs IMO and will eventually get in.

Were there ever any serious rumors about Thome though? I don't really remember hearing anything serious but maybe I am being naive. Or do you think enough are skeptical about that whole era to keep him out this time?
It was always rumors never anything concrete with Thome and steroids.

Also I think these writers take first ballot HOF way too seriously.
Roberto Alomar had to wait a year when he was obvious.

Thome is a HOFer to me I just think he will wait a year.

Schilling should get in but his mouth kills him.

Manny should fall off the ballot.

The ballot is just so loaded. So many good guys on there.

Mike Mussina is totally overqualified; I wonder if the strike hurt his HOF chances more than anyone else?

It seems like the biggest knock on him was that he was never super great, which I guess is shorthand for he never won 20 games in a season (until his last year)

Well, in 1995 the season was 144 games, Moose was 19-9 in 32 starts, including 4 shutouts. If you play a full season, he gets another 3 or 4, possibly even 5 starts depending on how the schedule falls. Think he gets an extra win? Pretty good chance.

The year prior, season was around 110 games, he goes 16-5 in 24 starts. 50 extra games, he starts once every 5, that's another 10 starts. Does he win 4 of those? I don't think it's as much of a lock as 95, but he got a win in 16 of his 24 starts, so I think you'd have to project at least another 4 wins.

All of a sudden, the guy has 3 20 win seasons. Does that move the needle on him? It could.

It was always rumors never anything concrete with Thome and steroids.

Also I think these writers take first ballot HOF way too seriously.
Roberto Alomar had to wait a year when he was obvious.

Thome is a HOFer to me I just think he will wait a year.

Schilling should get in but his mouth kills him.

Manny should fall off the ballot.
It's just hard to get to 75% when you're limited to naming 10 players, and a lot of writers have their causes and biases.

I would hope a transcendent hitter like Manny doesn't fall off the ballot when so many of his PED-era peers are still there and gaining support.

Bonds, Clemens and Schilling? Dear God, what an unholy trinity that is. The three of them are walking, talking roid-rage head cases. If I saw any of them coming down the street, I'd cross it to avoid them. Especially Bonds. I'd put Shoeless Joe in the Hall before him.

Bonds, Clemens and Schilling? Dear God, what an unholy trinity that is. The three of them are walking, talking roid-rage head cases. If I saw any of them coming down the street, I'd cross it to avoid them. Especially Bonds. I'd put Shoeless Joe in the Hall before him.
You can hate Schilling for his mouth but he is not a steroid guy.

He was loud against juicers before testing.

I can understand people not liking him but he wasn’t Clemens. He lost velocity as he aged unlike Clemens.

You can hate Schilling for his mouth but he is not a steroid guy.

He was loud against juicers before testing.

I can understand people not liking him but he wasn’t Clemens. He lost velocity as he aged unlike Clemens.

Agree. Can't stand the guy but if being a blowhard eliminates you, then a lot of guys who made it shouldn't have.

Chipper and Thome are no brainers, Vlad is a hof in my book, not the biggest Hoffman guy, but thinks he gets in.

The ballot is just so loaded. So many good guys on there.

Mike Mussina is totally overqualified; I wonder if the strike hurt his HOF chances more than anyone else?

It seems like the biggest knock on him was that he was never super great, which I guess is shorthand for he never won 20 games in a season (until his last year)

Well, in 1995 the season was 144 games, Moose was 19-9 in 32 starts, including 4 shutouts. If you play a full season, he gets another 3 or 4, possibly even 5 starts depending on how the schedule falls. Think he gets an extra win? Pretty good chance.

The year prior, season was around 110 games, he goes 16-5 in 24 starts. 50 extra games, he starts once every 5, that's another 10 starts. Does he win 4 of those? I don't think it's as much of a lock as 95, but he got a win in 16 of his 24 starts, so I think you'd have to project at least another 4 wins.

All of a sudden, the guy has 3 20 win seasons. Does that move the needle on him? It could.
If you only had room on your ballot this year between Schilling and Mussina who are you voting for?

If you only had room on your ballot this year between Schilling and Mussina who are you voting for?

Mussina, I was never a Mussina to the hof guy, but its starting to grow on me, I know he only won 20 games once, but he had some great seasons. I think I would put him in.

Tiant. His numbers are almost a match for Catfish Hunter. But to answer your question, tough call. But I will go with asshat Schill. Just too good in big games. It's not just his record, which is just great. His no decisions were just as good. He led in almost every game he was taken out of where the bullpen lost his lead.

Mussina, I was never a Mussina to the hof guy, but its starting to grow on me, I know he only won 20 games once, but he had some great seasons. I think I would put him in.
Mussina in the post season, 7-8 with a 3.42 Schilling in the post season 11-2 witha 2.23 era Muss's numbers in the regular season are better. 270 wins vs 216. Oh, Jim Kaat won 283 games

Fair, but the steroid thing takes him out, would have been a no brainer without them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom