Modify the one and done rule | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Modify the one and done rule

According to a study by MIT Sloan straight from HS players clearly outperform others and it's not even close. The same can be said for one and doners.

The fact that one group of people feels the need to save another group from themselves when the numbers show the opposite is sickening.

Why is it a mistake? Says who? Guys who go don't want to be in college have to go because of the one and done rule.
Many of these guys would be more suited to a vocational school.
It's a mistake to force people to go to college, when their chosen field doesn't require an education.

No one is forcing them to to go to college, if you don't want to go to college go get a job working at Mcdonalds or go to a vocational school, but if you want to play bball, you have to go to school for a year.

Why isn't it? Did you get to have your dream job simply because you wanted it or did you have to prove yourself in a way established by your future employer?

Nobody is saying they can't play. They're saying they have to wait to play at the highest level in the world. They can play in college, they can go overseas, they can play on the local playground. They can play if they want to. A little delayed gratification is a good thing. Most people have to experience it before getting what they want.
Good point - I only meant that it wasn't fair because there are teams willing to draft them. If I had someone who was willing to hire me into my dream job and I was told I had to wait a year, I'd probably think it wasn't fair. But you are correct that they still have the ability to do their job - just not at a specific level.

According to a study by MIT Sloan straight from HS players clearly outperform others and it's not even close. The same can be said for one and doners.

The fact that one group of people feels the need to save another group from themselves when the numbers show the opposite is sickening.
Could this be because the kids who leave early tend to be stronger performers? One could then argue that means that they should leave early. But I think the argument against it would be is that the players would be even stronger if they stayed a year(which is advantageous to the NBA). Not to mention that the outliers that left early even though they weren't ready would be better off as well.

No one is forcing them to to go to college, if you don't want to go to college go get a job working at Mcdonalds or go to a vocational school, but if you want to play bball, you have to go to school for a year.
Which is stupid. That said, people want to make it more difficult for them, when the thing they are forcing down their throats, college, isn't what they want.
It's totally anti free market.

21 percent of current NBA players have college degrees. They had the audacity to get a college education. What were they thinking? That's so dumb planning for your future after basketball

Could this be because the kids who leave early tend to be stronger performers? One could then argue that means that they should leave early. But I think the argument against it would be is that the players would be even stronger if they stayed a year(which is advantageous to the NBA). Not to mention that the outliers that left early even though they weren't ready would be better off as well.

Players improve at a higher rate in pro workouts with expensive trainers and no NCAA instructional time limits. The biggest beneficiary are the schools. Look at T Mac when he came in and what he became. Initially he was a run and jump energy sub.

Let kids leave after HS. If they decide to go to college they must stay for at least two seasons. Simple as that.

Which is stupid. That said, people want to make it more difficult for them, when the thing they are forcing down their throats, college, isn't what they want.
It's totally anti free market.

No one is forcing it down their throat, they have other options, all they have to do is go to school for one year, heck they don't even have to step foot in a classroom in the 2nd semester, these kids have it way too easy.

Let kids leave after HS. If they decide to go to college they must stay for at least two seasons. Simple as that.

Great idea! You gonna talk to the NBAPA into it?

go play ball anywhere. minors have rights stripped all the time . you don't drink til your 21. you don't get drafted (in the nba anyways) til your 19. why do you find this so draconian when so many decisions are pulled from the hands of citizens under 21 ?

Why does the NBA need to put more money in the D-League? It's not like AAA, AA, and A level baseball have awesome salaries.

d-league games draw squat in attendance and revenues. yet is loaded with high salaries. this is the recipe for foreclosure if not for the trickle down of NBA manna.

d-league games draw squat in attendance and revenues. yet is loaded with high salaries. this is the recipe for foreclosure if not for the trickle down of NBA manna.
The only high salaries are for guys with NBA contracts, who make up a small percentage of the D-League players. The guys with D-League contracts earn relatively little.

Source: NBA D-League to change salary structure in 2016/17

this is from 2015

" NBA parent clubs often sign players to training camp deals in order to offset the low salaries of the D-League and to protect their player rights by waiving and assigning them via the affiliate rule. Some teams, however, will offer a training camp player a “C” level contract on the notion that player made a decent amount of money with their training camp deal.

When it comes to players who return mid or late season, often times teams will offer them the “C” level salary seeing as a majority of them have already made their money overseas and are looking at an opportunity to further develop their careers with a D-League team. Those late additions are also looking to improve their stock towards a summer league invite.?

so drafting a player to just play D is a huge hit.

Last edited:
No one is forcing it down their throat, they have other options, all they have to do is go to school for one year, heck they don't even have to step foot in a classroom in the 2nd semester, these kids have it way too easy.
So, they have to go to school for a year. You just proved my point.

go play ball anywhere. minors have rights stripped all the time . you don't drink til your 21. you don't get drafted (in the nba anyways) til your 19. why do you find this so draconian when so many decisions are pulled from the hands of citizens under 21 ?
Not the right to work. Others are safety issues.

From the NCAA point of view, I can truly see only 2 possible solutions. Eliminate the return date that a kid can withdraw from the draft, including allowing him to return if he is not drafted! Of course, schools would have to have a scholarship for the kid if he wants to return. That in itself could crate a huge mess with # of scholarships, and how to handle recruiting but coaches would adjust. Going to another school might or might not require the one year sit out. And secondly and most importantly, eliminate the rule about signing with an agent. So what if the kid gets an agent. I suppose there could be a "limit" on how much money the kid could get up front from and agent but to get some to go to combines or talk with teams shouldn't be that much. Heck, maybe the NCAA could set up it's own agency to represent the kids short term in exchange for a small percentage of their first contract.

Its like saying that MIT grads are better engineers/scientist than others in their field. They went to MIT because they are better to begin with!

Not the right to work. Others are safety issues.
you can fly a 150 m $ fighter jet but we don't trust you with a beer. that's so logical.
most kids have decided by age 15 whether they'll still be drinking at age 21.

Last edited:
Its like saying that MIT grads are better engineers/scientist than others in their field. They went to MIT because they are better to begin with!
Yup, that's what I was saying. We don't know if they players are better because they are getting better training in the NBA or just that players that are leaving early are better to begin with.

21 percent of current NBA players have college degrees. They had the audacity to get a college education. What were they thinking? That's so dumb planning for your future after basketball

Who the F are you to tell them how to plan.

A college degree is no predictor of success.
My dad had a HS degree. He was financially successful by anyone's measure. One of his best friends was an Air Force pilot and a Whorton grad. He could hardly keep his family afloat.

A bachelor's is pretty much a useless degree these days. It's the 70's equivalent of a HS degree. Everybody has one. (BTW, of the 21%, how many are UNC degrees.)

If my son were fortunate enough to have an opportunity to just go into his sport right out of HS, I would encourage him to go. Those are opportunities of limited duration.

IF he decides at a later date he need some particular education to achieve his next goal, he can go get it then.

I bet guys like Bill Gates and Paul Allen (and countless other non-college degreed millionaires and billionaires) wish they had stayed in school.

I don't see you worried about all the kids who sign baseball contracts it out of highschool.

Therefore one can only conclude that you are interested in keeping economically needy kids in college longer than they need to be in order to enhance your sports viewing pleasure and warped connection between your favorite sports teams' success and your self worth.

You should worry more about you and your family than someone else's.

Redirect Notice

100 Top Entrepreneurs Who Succeeded Without A College Degree

Last edited:
Who the are you to tell them how to plan.
A college degree is no predictor of success.
My dad had a HS degree. He was financially successful by anyone's measure. One of his best friends was an Air Force pilot and a Whorton grad. He could hardly keep his family afloat.

A bachelor's is pretty much a useless degree these days. It's the 70's equivalent of a HS degree. Everybody has one.

I bet guys like Bill Gates and Paul Allen (and countless other non-college degreed millionaires and billionaires) wish they had stayed in school.

You should worry more about you and your family than someone else's.

BIll Gates and Paul Allen are outliers, so is your dad, a college degree opens up a lot more doors than not having one.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom