Monday Mind Cakes - Not the real My Take | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Monday Mind Cakes - Not the real My Take

What did you say the other 3 home games this year when those seats were full?
Not criticizing the students but let’s be fair - they either show up late, leave at halftime or some combination of the above.

Nope.

They put out a fresh set for the Holy Cross game. I was there early.
Yup. And everything is cleared out and thrown out in and around the seating area after every game. There is an army of people doing this. The OP is mistaken.

Nope.

They put out a fresh set for the Holy Cross game. I was there early.

Yeah ottos army literally made a facebook
Post about how this week they were giving out pom poms again

These weren’t from the first game LOL

They were new ones

Thats my point as well. They didn't deserve that space.
So much hate for the very reason Syracuse University exists!

I've got news for you, the football team is entirely made up of students. Students' $75,000 plus per year along with so much of what they give post graduation is what funded the Dome refurbishment. It's what built the IPF. They also make up the other teams that compete well in a P4 conference with high academic standards (basketball, lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, cross country, softball, volleyball, etc.).

Without students, the university would actually not exist.

But you're right. They don't deserve to pay additional money for seats to see their team, full of their classmates, and decide for themselves when they come and go to those seats. Let me know when your annual contribution is over $75,000 or you represent the school in competition or rankings of any sort. I guess there is new language on the tickets that requires you show up before kickoff and not leave until the alma mater is sung (their alma mater)? I'm glad you've never been late arriving or left early.

Not criticizing the students but let’s be fair - they either show up late, leave at halftime or some combination of the above.
Sounds an awful lot like criticism to me.

Sounds an awful lot like criticism to me.
I’m just balancing the take that said the students have been amazing… for the 2 quarters they are actually there.

I can understand the late arrivals for a nooner. We’ve all been in college. And I can understand leaving early if it’s a blowout. But many of the students left at halftime of the Stanford game… because it was Friday night and they had better things to do. The team needs them to stay when it matters.

I’m just balancing the take that said the students have been amazing… for the 2 quarters they are actually there.

I can understand the late arrivals for a nooner. We’ve all been in college. And I can understand leaving early if it’s a blowout. But many of the students left at halftime of the Stanford game… because it was Friday night and they had better things to do. The team needs them to stay when it matters.
I like the way you say it here much more. I agree that the team needs them, and I too would love to see them stay, (as a student, I never left a game early) but our student population suffers the same thing the entire region does given they are mostly from the Northeast, where the diehard football culture is lacking or tamped down by all that there is to do and see in a large megalopolis with a very diverse set of interests and options. These kids just don't have the same interest level as diehards, and many are experiencing "bigtime" football for the first time (along with college parties, bars, independence, self-reliance for studying and results) and that can lead to mixed emotions for engagement. I recall being envious of a free education, and study-table, and campus notoriety, and free Nike gear. It wasn't until I really got to see it up close and personal that I realized and respected the work that went into it (still a bit jealous of the free education). That colored my initial college sports engagement, and I am a fan.

I've got news for you, the football team is entirely made up of students. Students' $75,000 plus per year along with so much of what they give post graduation is what funded the Dome refurbishment. It's what built the IPF. They also make up the other teams that compete well in a P4 conference with high academic standards (basketball, lacrosse, soccer, field hockey, cross country, softball, volleyball, etc.).

But you're right. They don't deserve to pay additional money for seats to see their team, full of their classmates, and decide for themselves when they come and go to those seats. Let me know when your annual contribution is over $75,000 or you represent the school in competition or rankings of any sort. I guess there is new language on the tickets that requires you show up before kickoff and not leave until the alma mater is sung (their alma mater)? I'm glad you've never been late arriving or left early.
You act like that $75000 is given to the athletic program. It's not. It also pays for the grass on the quad. The electricity in Crouse-Hinds hall, the campus police, their actual professors, etc. Who said they hate the students? Straw-man? And of course the university wouldn't exist without the students. However, the football program doesn't exist without the diehard locals and NIL contingent. Those students you are so quick to put on a pedestal wouldn't even have a program without the local fan base. You think we're some state school supported mostly by alumni? See SUNY Binghamton to see what it looks like when students but not a large local fan base shows up.

Also..." a large megalopolis with a very diverse set of interests and options " - is not and has never been a description for Syracuse unless you come from Apulia.

You know, I once sat next to DC at a BET game at MSG. It was one of the games where GMac went off and we won an exciting game late and all the SU fans went nuts. DC and I had seats behind the basket.

When the game ended, the SU players all celebrated on the court, close to us. A bunch of SU fans ran out on the court to congratulate them and be idiots.

DC gave me and several other SU fans surrounding him a very very high five. He was/is a great SU fan and was genuinely excited.

He was wearing a really nice three piece suit. Light brown. Custom tailored. I am sure it was very expensive.

I mention this because in the euphoria of victory, DC was going down a line of SU fans who had lined up to get a high five from him. All was well until it was this one guy...

This was one of those guys who come to the game shirtless and painted their entire torso orange. I am not judging. Do whatever you need to do to make you happy.

But to complete the picture, he was overweight, very sweaty and appeared to be inebriated. Very inebriated.

He started to raise his hand to get a high five from Derrick but changed his mind late..

He lowered the hand that was about to get high fived, made direct eye contact with Coleman, smiled and said 'Come on Derrick!'. And opened his arms in the universal 'let's hug it out' gesture.

Derrick stopped to consider this offer carefully.

The world stopped for an instant. I watched DC's face closely. Surely he wouldn't do it, would he?

After maybe 3 or 4 seconds, he said 'oh, what the hell' and gave orange torso man a huge hug.

Then he pulled away from the guy and looked at his suit. It was covered in orange paint and while I am not an expert in suit cleaning, I am pretty sure it was well beyond repair.

Coleman said 'Oh '. Orange torso man said 'I'm sorry Derrick!'. Derrick looked at him for a second or two with a very angry expression on his face.

Was orange torso guy gonna get Cornelled?

No. A smile slowly came over his face, he said 'it's okay' and went on to celebrate with some players on the court.

This is a true story. Also, I did not hug the drunk orange torso man. Nor did he ask me too. ;)

Drunk Orange Torso Man, if you are on the board, step up and tell your side of the story~

Great story Tom, thanks.
DC has always been one of my favorite players but I'm not happy with his recent public comments.
We need someone with his toughness again.

You act like that $75000 is given to the athletic program. It's not. It also pays for the grass on the quad. The electricity in Crouse-Hinds hall, the campus police, their actual professors, etc. Who said they hate the students? Straw-man? And of course the university wouldn't exist without the students. However, the football program doesn't exist without the diehard locals and NIL contingent. Those students you are so quick to put on a pedestal wouldn't even have a program without the local fan base. You think we're some state school supported mostly by alumni? See SUNY Binghamton to see what it looks like when students but not a large local fan base shows up.

Also..." a large megalopolis with a very diverse set of interests and options " - is not and has never been a description for Syracuse unless you come from Apulia.
Look at the post I was responding to. Jcuse_44 said the students "don't deserve the space" they were given in the Dome (upper tier in the end zone mind you) in addition to several other similar comments. I take that as hate.

I am not remotely suggesting that the full amount of their tuition/room/board goes to football, or even the athletic department, but I think enough to say they "deserve the space". A portion of that money does go to budgets (including the AD) and endowment, where special projects such as the new roof, seats, an IPF, and the scholarships that go to 85 (now limitless) players come from (and the grass on the quad). It means more BECAUSE we're not a state school supported by the tax dollars of all state constituents. Others act like that quad should be given to those diehards every Friday/Saturday for parties but don't seem to accept that those paying for that grass want to have the places to study and then go to parties too (Crouse-Hinds Hall is an odd choice as it's pretty much an administrative office building for the Chancellor, so lets say the academic buildings that surround the quad like Link, Bowne, Shaffer, Carnegie Library).

I think you are wrong about the program's existence. It absolutely would exist and did exist for some 75 years before diehard locals and 135 before NIL contingent were remote factors in what it is today. Without it, we would probably have a program like Cornell, or Colgate, or the Ivy League Schools. Heck I could name any number of Northeast programs that continue to exist without those things you mention, including some of our peer schools and league brethren (BC, Wake, Duke, to name a few) and I have seen a lot of people here pine for the days when it wasn't about NIL. That said, TV money makes the football world go 'round, not local fans. SUNY Binghamton is actually another bad example as it IS a state school propped up by tax payer money that you used as an example of what SU isn't.

As for my megalopolis comment, I was referring to the student base (re-read if you must). That base comes mostly from the major population centers of the Northeast - NYC/NJ/eastern PA, Boston, DMV (the full breadth of which is the megalopolis I was referring to).

I didn’t say the students don’t deserve to be there

But let’s face reality here, the students aren’t at that football game unless people such as me are buying season tickets, donating to the athletic department, donating to NIL to field a competitive team etc.

That 75k they pay is going for their ACADEMICS and doesn’t go to the football team. So the small amount they pay for seasons doesn’t equate out to much.

So yeah, it burns me that I lost my seats I had for years and donated money to have for years to watch students, in competitive games such as Stanford, not show up to them and then leave before halftime and leave my old seats completely empty.

I love when the students are there and IF they stayed the whole time I wouldn’t complain. Because as you say, the university doesn’t exist without the students.

We are all a symbiotic relationship.

University doesn’t exist without the students. The athletics department doesn’t exist without the university being there and the fans that are donating money to watch the team.

I also think when you reduce the amount of seats in the dome and then expand the student section by a significant amount it causes this tension. If they didn’t expand the student section, I wouldn’t have lost my seats.

Anyway, it’s not important really

Just keep winning

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmom4503

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom