Monmouth/Bryant PIG | Syracusefan.com

Monmouth/Bryant PIG

CousCuse

Comin in Hot
ESPN can't find a spot for this game. Everybody that follows college lax would tune in. And they wonder why they're losing share? Any Hoo, I believe the winner of this contest could upset a forward looking Twerps team.

Thanks. College Lax is exploding and no network is really capturing this revenue stream. This game will be a real hotly contested matchup and will be a preview for what the rest of the tourney will be like. Our Orange better watch and learn and if they the have another level, they need to hit it now. Yale wants an Orange scalp real bad, I'm sure of that.

I think you greatly overestimate the American sports fan's appetite for Lacrosse. Less than a half million people watched last year's championship with two big name programs. Now compare that to NCAA Softball World Series that drew 1.4 million on a Wednesday night. ESPN isn't losing viewers because they aren't playing enough lax, they are losing viewers to the internet.

I love the sport, played it for the last 35 years and I have minimal interest in this game. Maybe if the wife and kid were out of town, I would tune in for a few minutes. Honestly, I would rather watch a local high school game than Monmouth-Bryant. And you are on drugs if you think either of these teams are going to roll into Byrd Stadium and beat Maryland.

Last edited:
I think you greatly overestimate the American sports fan's appetite for Lacrosse. ESPN isn't losing viewers because they aren't playing enough lax, they are losing viewers to the internet. I love the sport, played it for the last 35 years and I have minimal interest in this game. Maybe if the wife and kid were out of town, I would tune in for a few minutes. Honestly, I would rather watch a local high school game than Monmouth-Bryant. And you are on drugs if you think either of these teams are going to roll into Byrd Stadium and beat Maryland.
Maryland is greatly worried about the winner of Albany/UNC and I would be too if I were them. Which is the perfect spot for a big udog to come in and steel a game. More high schools are adding lax all the time, it is growing. There is now a B1G league and ND and Marquette in the midwest. Don't know why you wouldn't watch Bryant/Monmouth, it is the first game of May madness.

Maryland is greatly worried about the winner of Albany/UNC and I would be too if I were them. Which is the perfect spot for a big udog to come in and steel a game. More high schools are adding lax all the time, it is growing. There is now a B1G league and ND and Marquette in the midwest. Don't know why you wouldn't watch Bryant/Monmouth, it is the first game of May madness.

Did you watch the "First Four" basketball game between Mount Saint Mary's and New Orleans?

Maryland should be worried about Albany because they are going to lose that game. There is no chance they lose to Bryant because they are looking forward to Albany. I full understand the growth of our sport, but I also get tv ratings and advertising. And the current tv ratings for lacrosse do not justify more content on espn. As for tonight's game, I won't watch because neither of these teams really deserves to be in the tournament. I disagree with the AQ and think it waters down the product. I would have maybe tuned in for Army v Rutgers play in game, but Bryant v Monmouth doesn't do it for me.

frankly it's a travesty that these teams are even in the tournament over a school like Army. There should be zero automatic qualifiers in this sport. zero. If they want to include more teams like Monmouth then expand the tournament. There is (i think) 71 teams that play men's D1 lacrosse.

and maryland is going to curb stomp whichever team wins.

Maryland should be worried about Albany because they are going to lose that game. There is no chance they lose to Bryant because they are looking forward to Albany. I full understand the growth of our sport, but I also get tv ratings and advertising. And the current tv ratings for lacrosse do not justify more content on espn. As for tonight's game, I won't watch because neither of these teams really deserves to be in the tournament. I disagree with the AQ and think it waters down the product. I would have maybe tuned in for Army v Rutgers play in game, but Bryant v Monmouth doesn't do it for me.

lol I swear I didn't see your post first. we said the same thing.

frankly it's a travesty that these teams are even in the tournament over a school like Army. There should be zero automatic qualifiers in this sport. zero. If they want to include more teams like Monmouth then expand the tournament. There is (i think) 71 teams that play men's D1 lacrosse.

and maryland is going to curb stomp whichever team wins.
Monmouth's Athletic Department is very strong. Their basketball team almost made the NCAA tourney as an at large. I could definitely see a cocky Syracuse team scoffing at them and then losing as they did against Army and Bryant in the tourney a couple of years ago.

Monmouth's Athletic Department is very strong. Their basketball team almost made the NCAA tourney as an at large. I could definitely see a cocky Syracuse team scoffing at them and then losing as they did against Army and Bryant in the tourney a couple of years ago.
I agree that Syracuse could lose a game like that, but Maryland is a different team than Syracuse. Their staff prepares the team differently and they players react to games like this differently. They won't come out tight and let either PiG stay in the game. They will roar out with athleticism and enforce their will, kind of like Syracuse used to do to their undermatched opponents. Now for whatever reason SU comes out stiff and almost timid of mistakes.

I agree that Syracuse could lose a game like that, but Maryland is a different team than Syracuse. Their staff prepares the team differently and they players react to games like this differently. They won't come out tight and let either PiG stay in the game. They will roar out with athleticism and enforce their will, kind of like Syracuse used to do to their undermatched opponents. Now for whatever reason SU comes out stiff and almost timid of mistakes.
I agree with you there. I'm still enthused about watching the PIG and am really kind of excited for the Monmouth team. Their coach Fisher grew up outside of Philly and played at Rutgers so I'm sure he knows all the high school coaches in that region which has a lot of teams and good players, and I think he has many on his team. They are truly an unknown entity and at 14-3 in their 4th year I would be concerned if I were going to play them. They also have an 11 game winning streak, longest in the country.

I don't think Bryant/Monmouth would draw much attention, even with diehard lax fans. The game seven in the NHL tonight between Wash/Pitt will grab the attention of many of the channel-scrolling sports fans who might otherwise settle on the PIG.

Couldn't agree more. You saw this three years ago after Bryant upset Syracuse they played Maryland in the next round. Maryland jumped on them from the word go and pounded them into the ground. It was pretty impressive and as you noted how SU used to play.

Couldn't agree more. You saw this three years ago after Bryant upset Syracuse they played Maryland in the next round. Maryland jumped on them from the word go and pounded them into the ground. It was pretty impressive and as you noted how SU used to play.
It is easier for coaches to get their players attention after an udog has already pulled a big upset.

I agree with you there. I'm still enthused about watching the PIG and am really kind of excited for the Monmouth team. Their coach Fisher grew up outside of Philly and played at Rutgers so I'm sure he knows all the high school coaches in that region which has a lot of teams and good players, and I think he has many on his team. They are truly an unknown entity and at 14-3 in their 4th year I would be concerned if I were going to play them. They also have an 11 game winning streak, longest in the country.

Monmouth played 2 teams that I would call traditional lacrosse teams (Hofstra & Delaware) and lost both games. LeMoyne would beat most of the rest of their schedule.

Monmouth played 2 teams that I would call traditional lacrosse teams (Hofstra & Delaware) and lost both games. LeMoyne would beat most of the rest of their schedule.
They lost both of those games early in the season and have since gained a lot of confidence and experience. But I get it that nobody wants to watch this game.

C_fwFg_XgAI7ide.jpg

I clicked the link, watched about 45 seconds. When I see middies wearing #58 and #85, my tolerance for that game goes to zero. One of the few things I hate about college lacrosse right now is the bs numbers. 1-48, don't roll an 85 out there for gods sake.

* I wore 57 in modified lacrosse. Only because the meathead football coach insisted on having 1-15 be attackmen, 16-34 were for middies and 35-49 were for defense. Goalies got 55, 56 and 57.