More fallout at MSU | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

More fallout at MSU

I agree and we have experience with tone deaf comments from our own coach...have we forgotten JBs initial response to the Bernie accusers? Something about them being out for money.
You probably shouldn't agree with me. I have come to understand my opinion is stupid and asinine. There's no way anyone can take a couple seconds and consider their response. Couldn't possibly be done. If you don't answer immediately in a presser situation, people will just get up and walk out.
upload_2018-1-27_18-11-13.gif

NCAA president Mark Emmert was alerted to Michigan State...

The NCAA has passed the IOC on the corrupt standings and looking to catch FIFA.

It's the Catholic Church syndrome. Cover it up, use a shell game to hide perpetrators. why? Because it's the institution that counts, not the people or what it's supposed to stand for. It's institutional self preservation, a basic instinct of modern life.

"Survivors" makes it sound like a plane crash. they were victims, Tom!.
I believe the sentencing judge referred to them as "survivors." It acknowledges that these girls and women experienced something horrible that will forever shape them but need not define them.

So I object to the idea that anyone should be compelled to take a “high road” with respect to Izzo. Izzo will be fine. Neither I nor anyone want him jailed. I’m not even sure I want him fired. But his approach here is wrong, and what that approach reflects about his view of the purpose of the university is disturbing and wrong.

I agree with your thoughts on this, but I would modify one thing: while the approach may be wrong, it's a deeper problem than that. It's his conditioned mindset that's wrong. Izzo, like most high-level basketball coaches, has had decades in a privileged, powerful bubble. He has an affinity for his players and a long-honed self-preservation instinct. I don't think he's willfully doing anything wrong with this rambling response, it's just that he's trained to think a certain way and is probably incapable of viewing the situation from a more open-minded viewpoint.

Also, these post-game responses are unlikely to ever satisfy the masses. Imagine your most difficult stretch of a workday, busting your butt for several hours, and then going before a gaggle of reporters (many with an agenda) and not only having to continue doing your job in a kind of fatigued state but also having to address this completely tangential, non-work-related (in his mind) matter in a compassionate, honest, diplomatic way.

He failed, but it's not an easy thing to do.

I agree with your thoughts on this, but I would modify one thing: while the approach may be wrong, it's a deeper problem than that. It's his conditioned mindset that's wrong. Izzo, like most high-level basketball coaches, has had decades in a privileged, powerful bubble. He has an affinity for his players and a long-honed self-preservation instinct. I don't think he's willfully doing anything wrong with this rambling response, it's just that he's trained to think a certain way and is probably incapable of viewing the situation from a more open-minded viewpoint.

Also, these post-game responses are unlikely to ever satisfy the masses. Imagine your most difficult stretch of a workday, busting your butt for several hours, and then going before a gaggle of reporters (many with an agenda) and not only having to continue doing your job in a kind of fatigued state but also having to address this completely tangential, non-work-related (in his mind) matter in a compassionate, honest, diplomatic way.

Nobody said it was "easy", and considering the issues at hand, its a huge deal. It was 100 % certain that he was going to face this line of questioning in the press conference. Its hard not to think that he couldn't have been a little more prepared for it.

The logic is that “victims” are objects of pity whereas “survivors” imply that the individual has some control over their life and is actively fighting for something.

It's dishonest wordplay (not addressing you or anyone here, just expressing disappointment in the "words have meanings" vein). By definition, one is a "survivor" if one had an experience which put that person in a reasonable likelihood of not surviving. While what happened to those gymnasts was deplorable, their lives weren't at risk. Calling them "survivors" is inaccurate and, in my opinion, diminishes people who've beat cancer, soldiers who've been shot, that kind of thing. (And the whole dishonest charade is founded on a weird premise - "victim" shouldn't be considered pejorative in any way. There's no shame in being a victim.)

It's disappointing that the judge chose such language; I thought that was a really unprofessional performance from the bench. Given the emotion surrounding the matter, I don't think anyone will say anything, but her conduct was beneath the dignity of the court.

Last edited:

Excellent post!

The logic is that “victims” are objects of pity whereas “survivors” imply that the individual has some control over their life and is actively fighting for something.

My logic is that "survivors" had something happen to them and "victims" had something done to them.

My logic is that "survivors" had something happen to them and "victims" had something done to them.

I don’t disagree, I’m just sharing the reasoning. There are definitely victims/survivors who agree with you.

TBH though I’m not gonna lose much sleep over what people who have been sexually assaulted want to refer to themselves as.

I think we basically agree. We're both saying this is a systemic problem and that Izzo himself isn't a uniquely bad actor.

If there is a disagreement here, it's that I think there is some benefit to the public condemnation of Izzo even granting everything you say. We should be trying to teach those in the bubble to try to look out of it. You would hope that watching Izzo fall, the next time a coach hears an anologous complaint, he's less likely to sweep it under the rug. That might be wishful thinking, but in general I think you try to re-make the incentives facing everyone involved.

There is no way he went to that press conference after the game not knowing he would have to address this. He should have been more prepared.
He should have said he was going to talk about game, and only the game. Any questions not about the game - "Next". No questions about the game. Leave.

Last edited:
If that had been Belichek or Popovich...the press conference would have been better than the game...

There's also this:
The sexual abuse scandal at Michigan State University widened Tuesday when authorities charged a former dean with failing to protect patients from sports doctor Larry Nassar, along with sexually harassing female students and pressuring them for nude selfies. William Strampel, 70, is the first person charged since an investigation was launched in January into how Michigan State handled complaints against Nassar, who for years sexually violated girls and young women, especially gymnasts, with his fingers during examinations. Strampel, who as dean of the College of Osteopathic Medicine oversaw the clinic where Nassar worked, neglected his duty to enforce examining-room restrictions imposed on Nassar after a patient accused the doctor in 2014 of sexual contact, authorities alleged.
[His work] computer also had a video of Nassar "performing a 'treatment' on a young female patient."

I agree and we have experience with tone deaf comments from our own coach...have we forgotten JBs initial response to the Bernie accusers? Something about them being out for money.
If things had played out, those 2 would have gotten nothing. I represented family members. Those 2 were not believed by their own family, and had a history of scheming.

If things had played out, those 2 would have gotten nothing. I represented family members. Those 2 were not believed by their own family, and had a history of scheming.

Did Bernie file a defamation lawsuit against them?

Did Bernie file a defamation lawsuit against them?
Do people file defamation suits every time they are defamed? Is that the standard on whether someone is telling the truth. Could it possible be that Bernie is a gay man and had enough public embarrassment to last him a lifetime? And if he did file a defamation lawsuit, what could he win from those two guys? And defamation suits are really tough to win. Jb said it was about money. And what did those two do? They sued to get money. I don't know what the truth is. I wasn't there. But every time I see an abuse case, it always involves a lot more than one or two guys.

Last edited by a moderator:
absolutely sickening, a pedophile has a boss who is a s e xual deviant himself , please throw the book at this scumbag too. these poor girls/women, no protection from these freaks whatsoever.

What a dumpster fire...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom