More fallout at MSU | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More fallout at MSU

Why? Syracuse got dragged through the mud and none of the salacious conspiracy theories ever panned out.

I have a feeling the Flynn/Scoop/Jackson accusation would be handled differently today than it was in 2007.

The NCAA doesn’t seem to think covering up sexual assault is within their purview. They only care about “extra benefits.”

I have a feeling the Flynn/Scoop/Jackson accusation would be handled differently today than it was in 2007.

The NCAA doesn’t seem to think covering up s e xual assault is within their purview. They only care about “extra benefits.”

That's all I'm saying. Devo as well.

What I really got from the experience with Mark Emmert was, that governing body governs him,” Redmond said. “He met with me, which was great and I appreciated that. But the governing board has an awful lot of power. … It’s a strange setup. You do kind of get the fox guarding the hen house mentality. You do feel like the NCAA doesn’t like to do investigations because they like their relationships (with university officials and conferences). I think Mark Emmert came in with the right tone but quickly realized, ‘There’s not a lot I can do here.’ ”

The next to last sentence is what fans of schools that have been disciplined by the NCAA observe and question. Why did we get drug through the mud over failing to follow a drug policy we weren't even required to have when the NCAA refuses to really even take a look at the all of things swirling around {___________} fill in the blank of your favorite accused rule breaker starting with Kentucky, Duke, UNC, Kansas, you name it.

The NCAA should just scrap the rules book altogether and put their one guiding principle in writing.

"We will do whatever it takes to maximize the revenues derived from college athletics as a whole."

Sigh - reading through the comments here, and seeing “gotta” underlined, I’m pretty confident a lot of people think this was a written statement released by Izzo...when it’s actually his statement at a press conference. Almost certainly he wasn’t really “prepared” for that question, and fumbled a bit on his answer.

Getting upset about a poor phase in an extemporaneous statement in a press conference is just people looking for a “gotcha” moment. It’s not a new thing, which CTO could attest to - but this is one of the aspects of our culture now I absolutely hate, and don’t think it leads anywhere positive in the end. I’m willing to cut Izzo a lot of slack over a press conference misstep.

However...the OTL stuff has me raising my eyebrows.
Still, he has to know his words matter and he needed to choose them more carefully in the moment. This wasn't Izzo's first rodeo. He couldn't be oblivious to the events of recent times, or at least I hope he isn't.

And Burgen. And Devo. And let’s not forget Bernie Fine. I think every program has to reevaluate how they handle these issues including SU.

Still, he has to know his words matter and he needed to choose them more carefully in the moment. This wasn't Izzo's first rodeo. He couldn't be oblivious to the events of recent times, or at least I hope he isn't.
Spot on. Whether he meant them that way or not, the comments came off as brutally tone-deaf. When asked about things such as this, you need to take your time and carefully consider your responses. He knows that. But he didn't do it.

The first response will always carry more weight than the subsequent explanation/apology.

The way this NCAA v MSU plays out will be interesting, considering they backpedaled on PSU and let them off the hook for P e d o p h I l I aon the grounds, all of which was known by people in power at the University.

This is zero hour for the NCAA. The future of their current model is on the line, or may be passing before our eyes. Emmert is toast if these MSU and Louisville issues aren't dealt with harshly.

He's probably toast already.

Spot on. Whether he meant them that way or not, the comments came off as brutally tone-deaf. When asked about things such as this, you need to take your time and carefully consider your responses. He knows that. But he didn't do it.

The first response will always carry more weight than the subsequent explanation/apology.

Your opinion is, bluntly, stupid. He got asked a question in a press conference - how, exactly, IN THAT SPECIFIC SITUATION, does one go about “taking their time and considering their response”?

The reality is, you don’t - because you can’t.

If he said “let me think about that and get back to you” - would that have been better?

Seriously, your take is utterly assinine.

Your opinion is, bluntly, stupid. He got asked a question in a press conference - how, exactly, IN THAT SPECIFIC SITUATION, does one go about “taking their time and considering their response”?

If he said “let me think about that and get back to you” - would that have been better?

Izzo is a professional with literally decades of experience speaking to the media paid millions of dollars by the state of Michigan to represent the university. He was asked questions that (1) were no surprise and (2) plainly implicated sensitive issues regarding the molestation of ONE HUNDRED FIFTY teenagers. If he doesn’t know enough to avoid giving the impression that he cares more about the millionaire president of that school than the victims, that seems like a hell of an indictment of him.

Izzo is a professional with literally decades of experience speaking to the media paid millions of dollars by the state of Michigan to represent the university. He was asked questions that (1) were no surprise and (2) plainly implicated sensitive issues regarding the molestation of ONE HUNDRED FIFTY teenagers. If he doesn’t know enough to avoid giving the impression that he cares more about the millionaire president of that school than the victims, that seems like a hell of an indictment of him.

Personally, I find your willingness to put so much weight on a poor statement in a press conference as a hell of an indictment of you. And honestly, not just you but everyone that takes that position.

You (and your fellow travelers) are not taking the high road, in spite of what you likely believe.

Well, if only you could have been there to advise him to be more careful. How many rodeo's (especially of this nature) has this been for Izzo? I don't recall another, on point, type rodeo do you? If so, please enlighten me. I doubt he's oblivious to current events of late, clearly not the one you're referring to. He's a human being. And, we all, no matter how polished we may be or think we are, can still make a mistake, or in this case, not speak as eloquently as hoped, especially under a microscope, and the degree of duress that comes with that. Very judgemental in my view.

There’s a huge middle ground between “I’ve had a rough week/hope the right guy was guilty” and “let me get back to you.”

He’s also been giving press conferences for 20+ years. It isn’t hard to only express sympathy for the victims.

Personally, I find your willingness to put so much weight on a poor statement in a press conference as a hell of an indictment of you. And honestly, not just you but everyone that takes that position.

You (and your fellow travelers) are not taking the high road, in spite of what you likely believe.

I wrote a longer version of my opinion on this in an earlier post, which is that izzo is no better or worse than I suspect most similarly situated coaches would be, but is still very much worthy of blame.

But I agree that I’m not taking the high road here and I will try to be clear why that is. The tendency to give those in positions of power the benefit of the doubt is exactly what leads to these things being hidden, often in plain sight, for years. Izzos statements are not themselves the cause of anything, but they very much are a symptom of it. We, as a culture, give people like Izzo immense amounts of social and economic power. That becomes a self-perpetuating system, where those in power maintain each other. That maintenance - that tendency to protect your colleagues and friends first and foremost - has often disasterous effects and should be condemned when it does.

So I object to the idea that anyone should be compelled to take a “high road” with respect to Izzo. Izzo will be fine. Neither I nor anyone want him jailed. I’m not even sure I want him fired. But his approach here is wrong, and what that approach reflects about his view of the purpose of the university is disturbing and wrong.

There is no way he went to that press conference after the game not knowing he would have to address this. He should have been more prepared.

If that happens, there will be many other coaches taken down. I wouldn't be surprised if we see renewed looks at SU for recent events as well. And this should shock no one.

I think enough time has passed that someone else besides and dumb and dumber would have come forward by now. I'm not even counting the 2 jailbirds since their stories have been 100% discredited.

The way this NCAA v MSU plays out will be interesting, considering they backpedaled on PSU and let them off the hook for P e d o p h I l I aon the grounds, all of which was known by people in power at the University.

This is zero hour for the NCAA. The future of their current model is on the line, or may be passing before our eyes. Emmert is toast if these MSU and Louisville issues aren't dealt with harshly.

He's probably toast already.

Its getting really hard to support any NCAA sports, and if there aren't big changes coming soon I will stop.

If they can't put human safety above profit, do something to stop the institutional support of people who rape women and children, and punish people who buy prostitutes for high school recruits, I'm ready to stop buying/supporting their products ... this is an extremely low bar, mind you. Sadly I'm only about 50% sure the NCAA will live up to it.

I agree and we have experience with tone deaf comments from our own coach...have we forgotten JBs initial response to the Bernie accusers? Something about them being out for money.

Its getting really hard to support any NCAA sports, and if there aren't big changes coming soon I will stop.

If they can't put human safety above profit, do something to stop the institutional support of people who rape women and children, and punish people who buy prostitutes for high school recruits, I'm ready to stop buying/supporting their products ... this is an extremely low bar, mind you. Sadly I'm only about 50% sure the NCAA will live up to it.

The NCAA and the schools participating in high level athletics have been all about the almighty dollar for a long time now. Why should it surprise you that those in power will do almost anything to prevent something from interrupting the gravy train that they are feeding at. That is what happens when you sacrifice principles for profits.

-We justify the participation of kids that have no desire to obtain a college education
-We accept $30+ ticket prices
-Coaching salaries in the millions of dollars, far exceeding the highest paid administrators
-Schedules that go on forever and make it next to impossible for "student"/athletes to concentrate on academic pursuits.
-Athletic departments that are better staffed and funded than most academic departments within the University.
-Facilities for athletes that are veritable palaces compared to what is available to the average student at the same schools.
-Athletic Championships that are pursued almost as much for the $ that is awarded to the participants as for the glory in winning.

That is what happens when you sacrifice principles for profits.

Institutions and corporations (businesses) are far more interested in protecting their asses than having ethical principles. Numerous example in commerce, religious organizations, educational institutions, and politics.

The beat goes on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom