More fallout at MSU | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

More fallout at MSU

Do people file defamation suits every time they are defamed? Is that the standard on whether someone is telling the truth. Could it possible be that Bernie is a gay man and had enough public embarrassment to last him a lifetime? And if he did file a defamation lawsuit, what could he win from those two guys? And defamation suits are really tough to win. Jb said it was about money. And what did those two do? They sued to get money. I don't know what the truth is. I wasn't there. But every time I see an abuse case, it always involves a lot more than one or two guys.

Personally I would want to clear my name so yes I would sue if I was innocent of allegedly sexually abusing two boys. I think a lot of people would sue. It’s not about money, it’s about clearing your name.

Bernie gave a lot to the university and he deserved better than to get fired because two dirt bags appear to have schemed against him.

I have no law background so maybe you’re right about proving guilt. Maybe his lawyers said forget it. I just think that’s a hard pill to swallow for most people.

Personally I would want to clear my name so yes I would sue if I was innocent of allegedly s e xually abusing two boys. I think a lot of people would sue. It’s not about money, it’s about clearing your name.

Bernie gave a lot to the university and he deserved better than to get fired because two dirt bags appear to have schemed against him.

I have no law background so maybe you’re right about proving guilt. Maybe his lawyers said forget it. I just think that’s a hard pill to swallow for most people.
I understand those feelings. But, he wouldn't win any money. And two, those that thought him guilty, wouldn't change their minds in a he said said, he said, lawsuit. There would be no Perry Mason moment where they blurted out, I lied okay!!!! And lastly, and maybe most important, I don't think Fine could win the deposition. What that means is that the questions that those twos lawyers would be able to ask Fine would make him a loser. If not in the case, in the eyes of his family and friends.

Personally I would want to clear my name so yes I would sue if I was innocent of allegedly s e xually abusing two boys. I think a lot of people would sue. It’s not about money, it’s about clearing your name.

You realize lawyers don't work for free right? What money are you going to pay the lawyer who represents you in a defamation suit that has no hope to yield any recovery. There is no insurance that is going to pay out on that defamation suit, and neither of the two knuckleheads had a pot to piss in, so no matter how large the judgment you might win might end up being Bernie wasn't recovering jack.

Someone would certainly file the case for him because there would be lots of press, but shortly after the press died that attorney would more than likely walk away from the case. That means the lawyer he hires is going to expect to be paid by the hour, probably $250-$300 hour, you have to e pretty wealthy to be able to afford that vindication.

There are a ton of people who get told you may have been harmed, you may have serious injuries, but that alone doesn't make a successful lawsuit. You need fault, damages and a source of recovery. Notwithstanding what your afternoon soap opera legal commercials and roadside bill boards might suggest.

Cost benefit. It would be an hourly rate fee, given that those 2 guys had no money to recover. Looking at $30-50k to prosecute the case.

absolutely sickening, a pedophile has a boss who is a s e xual deviant himself , please throw the book at this scumbag too. these poor girls/women, no protection from these freaks whatsoever.
Credit though, for following the chain. If PA authorities had done that, maybe the could have come down on Joe Pa before he croaked.

I understand those feelings. But, he wouldn't win any money. And two, those that thought him guilty, wouldn't change their minds in a he said said, he said, lawsuit. There would be no Perry Mason moment where they blurted out, I lied okay!!!! And lastly, and maybe most important, I don't think Fine could win the deposition. What that means is that the questions that those twos lawyers would be able to ask Fine would make him a loser. If not in the case, in the eyes of his family and friends.
I would think that the thing he would want the most would be his reputation. And possibly with his reputation back he could get another assistant coaching position, although he is now 72 so most people his age are happy to be retired. Maybe he is ok with that but it seems like he would want one more chance to hold that clipboard.

I would think that the thing he would want the most would be his reputation. And possibly with his reputation back he could get another assistant coaching position, although he is now 72 so most people his age are happy to be retired. Maybe he is ok with that but it seems like he would want one more chance to hold that clipboard.
How would he win? I can't see it. They would hold to their story and he would hold to his. And the cost of the lawyers would go up and up.

Ray Donovan was indicted by a Bronx County, New York, grand jury for larceny and fraud in connection with a project to construct a new line extension for the NYC Subway. Donovan (and all of the other defendants) were acquitted, after which Donovan was famously quoted as asking, "Which office do I go to to get my reputation back?"

The idea that by going to court Fine could get his reputation back is naive. And it leads people down the path of saying “if he didn’t do it, he’d sue!”

As stated by others here, he’s not going to get his reputation back by going to court - all he’s getting is a huge bill. It’s a shame that he got his reputation destroyed because ESPN (and journalists in general) lack any morals or integrity...but at this point the damage is done and isn’t going to be repaired.

Do people file defamation suits every time they are defamed? Is that the standard on whether someone is telling the truth. Could it possible be that Bernie is a gay man and had enough public embarrassment to last him a lifetime? And if he did file a defamation lawsuit, what could he win from those two guys? And defamation suits are really tough to win. Jb said it was about money. And what did those two do? They sued to get money. I don't know what the truth is. I wasn't there. But every time I see an abuse case, it always involves a lot more than one or two guys.

when non PSU or SU fans try to equate Sandusky and Bernie it infuriates me. Dumb and Dumber are questionable at best. the other two accusers are proven liars. Whatever Bernie may have done isn't in the same universe as that sicko Sandusky

when non PSU or SU fans try to equate Sandusky and Bernie it infuriates me. Dumb and Dumber are questionable at best. the other two accusers are proven liars. Whatever Bernie may have done isn't in the same universe as that sicko Sandusky

Yup...I see it A LOT on social media when Boeheim is mentioned. “Pedo enabler” . It shouldn’t bother me bc the people saying it are clearly morons but it still grinds my gears

How can Izzo still be coach? So much crap is falling from this, where is Jeremy Schapp on sporscenter 10 times a day smearing MSU like he did Bernie and Cuse? They try to cover up everything! I’m pretty sure this happens more often than ppl like to think, but come on. Izzo has to go!

Tick tock Izzo

Well, it takes a lot for this women to pursue it this far. Hopefully it doesn't end in a pay off and then get swept under the rug. Not to put the women through more pain, but hopefully it goes to trial and all of this comes out in public. If the allegations are true, hopefully the punishment fits the crime.

Looking at $30-50k to prosecute the case.
That money likely would be gone in the first couple of months.
Litigation is EXPENSIVE!

People seem to forget what happened.
Bernie Fine did not sue or dropped litigation against the deep pockets.

Fine did not contest his firing by SU.
He was fired right after an audio tape surfaced.
A tape on which his voice NEVER appeared.
It was circumstantial hearsay and veiled allegations by one of the alleged victims.
Yet he went quietly and didn't contest the dismissal.

That alone suggests he had reason not to pursue litigation against the University.
He did sue ESPN about 17 months after his firing...and then quietly dropped his defamation claim 3 months later.

None of this behavior suggests any real desire to open himself to scrutiny in litigation.

Well, it takes a lot for this women to pursue it this far. Hopefully it doesn't end in a pay off and then get swept under the rug. Not to put the women through more pain, but hopefully it goes to trial and all of this comes out in public. If the allegations are true, hopefully the punishment fits the crime.
I hope our boys kept the video which showed consent, and kept them out of big trouble. Otherwise, we could see similar suit.

I hope our boys kept the video which showed consent, and kept them out of big trouble. Otherwise, we could see similar suit.

hasn't statute of limitations run out on that?

It's strange seeing all this hit - never thought it would. I've said it a few times on here, but during my time involved with Big 10 schools it seemed like REALLY common knowledge from everyone I met that attended Michigan State that their team was raping and pillaging its way through that University. Like no other school I ever heard rumblings about. I've read some stuff about some schools, heard stuff here and there that I never thought much about, but Michigan State was the one school where it seemed universal. So strange to see it outed now.

That's why Izzo's golden rep always puzzled me.

How can Izzo still be coach? So much crap is falling from this, where is Jeremy Schapp on sporscenter 10 times a day smearing MSU like he did Bernie and Cuse? They try to cover up everything! I’m pretty sure this happens more often than ppl like to think, but come on. Izzo has to go!

Honestly, I think that the folks at MSU -- who obviously don't want to see Izzo go -- just put their heads down two months ago and tried to ride it out, hoping that eventually the furor would die down [which it did]. Izzo looked like a goner in February, then the story fell by the wayside.

But this heaps a log back on the smoldering fire. At some point, MSU is going to have to face the music.

That money likely would be gone in the first couple of months.
Litigation is EXPENSIVE!

People seem to forget what happened.
Bernie Fine did not sue or dropped litigation against the deep pockets.

Fine did not contest his firing by SU.
He was fired right after an audio tape surfaced.
A tape on which his voice NEVER appeared.
It was circumstantial hearsay and veiled allegations by one of the alleged victims.
Yet he went quietly and didn't contest the dismissal.

That alone suggests he had reason not to pursue litigation against the University.
He did sue ESPN about 17 months after his firing...and then quietly dropped his defamation claim 3 months later.

None of this behavior suggests any real desire to open himself to scrutiny in litigation.

Good post. More people should read this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom