More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

More Minutes for Hughes,Carey,Buddy

We will be better. Some assumptions have to be made but they are all solid assumptions. Frank, Brissett, Chewy, and Dolezaj should all be better. Sid is hopefully 100%, thus much better and more reliable. We lose Battle but gain Carey, Hughes and Buddy. None are as good as sophomore Battle individually but collectively probably are, especially since it is added depth and flexibility which helps everyone.
We don’t have added depth.
Right now we have 9 players with one recovering from a torn ACL.

We still only have 2 centers.
We have 2 forwards.
5 guards.

I agree combined Carey and Hughes can equal Battle. However our offense is going to struggle mightly in the halfcourt.

We have 2 forwards.
5 guards.

I agree combined Carey and Hughes can equal Battle. However our offense is going to struggle mightly in the halfcourt.

Well, 9 is more than 7. So that’s more depth.

Definitely need another forward though now, IMO.

Well, 9 is more than 7. So that’s more depth.

Definitely need another forward though now, IMO.
9 includes Howard Washington.

We now have Buddy over Bayer as the 4th guard. So I guess your right a legit P5 recruit is the 4th guard.

We need another Forward/C.

I have been advocating going after Ryan Luther from Pitt as a grad transfer for a month but Ohio State and Arizona have been all over Luther.

We don't. We have bodies that can play out of position to fill in if necessary. Pretty big difference.
That's Buddy, but there's been talk of Hughes playing some minutes at forward since he transferred.

9 includes Howard Washington.

We now have Buddy over Bayer as the 4th guard. So I guess your right a legit P5 recruit is the 4th guard.

We need another Forward/C.

I have been advocating going after Ryan Luther from Pitt as a grad transfer for a month but Ohio State and Arizona have been all over Luther.

Bayer was the 3rd guard by the end of the year. Significantly more depth in the backcourt.

If Hughes can be passable at Forward, then we’re clearly in better shape overall than this year depth wise. But yeah, 2 forwards and 2 centers(one of whom couldn’t stay healthy his year) is not enough.

We have 2 forwards.
5 guards.

As the roster stands right now we have more depth next year than we did this year. Even with HW, the other 8 is more than we had this year. Look at it.

Chewys back up was an injured one legged Sidibe.

Brissetts and Dolezaj’s back up was Moyer.

Tyus and Franks backup was a former walkon.

If the starters are who I think they’ll be, then I think a healthy Sidibe, Hughes and Buddy are better than that former group and could also include a healthy HW.

No we don't. And it will be proven when we bring in another forward.
Not following the logic there. Yes, bringing in another forward would improve our existing depth at the position and make it more ideal. But we were looking to add another forward before Bazley de-committed. Does that prove we didn't have depth then?

That's Buddy, but there's been talk of Hughes playing some minutes at forward since he transferred.

By anyone that controls minutes or by random posters on a message board that just look at a 6'6 guard and figure that's long enough to play the back of the zone? He was specifically brought in as a top of the zone prototype. We are all well aware that a 6'6 guy can fill in there if necessary but that isn't why he is on the roster. If he has to fill in at the 3, then Oshae has to fill in at the 4 and we are now playing 2 guys out of their natural position. That's not really what I would consider depth.

As the roster stands right now we have more depth next year than we did this year. Even with HW, the other 8 is more than we had this year. Look at it.

Chewys back up was an injured one legged Sidibe.

Brissetts and Dolezaj’s back up was Moyer.

Tyus and Franks backup was a former walkon.

If the starters are who I think they’ll be, then I think a healthy Sidibe, Hughes and Buddy are better than that former group and could also include a healthy HW.

It would be impossible to not have more healthy bodies. I think the main argument is that we are still absurdly thin with only 2 natural forwards currently projected to be on the roster and I don't really see how anyone can argue with that unless we are all just still pissed about yesterday and want to be argumentative with each other.

By anyone that controls minutes or by random posters on a message board that just look at a 6'6 guard and figure that's long enough to play the back of the zone? He was specifically brought in as a top of the zone prototype. We are all well aware that a 6'6 guy can fill in there if necessary but that isn't why he is on the roster. If he has to fill in at the 3, then Oshae has to fill in at the 4 and we are now playing 2 guys out of their natural position. That's not really what I would consider depth.
No, this is coming from the coaching staff. We won a ship with Josh Pace playing a similar role. Hughes is actually a little bigger than Pace.

We've had guys the same size as Brissett play the four. And some a tad smaller.

Notice I never said anything about Hughes being an ideal backup at forward. We are all well aware that he's not an exact replica of Dolezaj and Brissett. But that's not what depth means. Do we have someone who can play the position? Yes. Then we have depth.

It would be impossible to not have more healthy bodies. I think the main argument is that we are still absurdly thin with only 2 natural forwards currently projected to be on the roster and I don't really see how anyone can argue with that unless we are all just still pissed about yesterday and want to be argumentative with each other.

No, the point is that we currently have more depth next year than we did for most of this year. As to Hughes in the other posts, he can absolutely play the 3. He’s a tough aggressive kid. Offensively our 3 is the same as the 2.

We have 2 forwards.
5 guards.

Your beloved Patriots play guys out of position all the time and Belichick is considered a genius for creating depth in that manner.

No, this is coming from the coaching staff. We won a ship with Josh Pace playing a similar role. Hughes is actually a little bigger than Pace.

We've had guys the same size as Brissett play the four. And some a tad smaller.

Notice I never said anything about Hughes being an ideal backup at forward. We are all well aware that he's not an exact replica of Dolezaj and Brissett. But that's not what depth means. Do we have someone who can play the position? Yes. Then we have depth.

Brissetts 9rpg also tells me he can play the 4, especially as a secondary role. Hell Dolezaj started at the 4 and he’s not a real 4.

Your beloved Patriots play guys out of position all the time and Belichick is considered a genius for creating depth in that manner.
Apples to Oranges.

Dolezaj gets a sprained ankle and is out 2 weeks. What depth do we have?

Stealing a few minutes in a game or two doesn’t mean we have depth.

The only position we have depth now is guard.
We had 3 guards last year and then were down to 2.
Now we have 4 and a 5th likely RSing.

No, the point is that we currently have more depth next year than we did for most of this year. As to Hughes in the other posts, he can absolutely play the 3. He’s a tough aggressive kid. Offensively our 3 is the same as the 2.

Has anyone actually said that they believe we will have less depth next year than we did for the majority of this year? I would imagine that everyone has to be in agreement on that point. It would be impossible to be worse off then having 5 healthy guys and 2 banged up guys. Team depth will be improved and there are guys that can fill in at other spots but I just see 2 natural forwards on the roster as currently constructed and I don't see how you or anyone else can argue otherwise.

We have 2 extra guards next year.
That is more depth but we are losing our best player and hoping 2 guys replace him and the other guys all take leaps.

We aren’t going to be much better than we were this year unless the freshman or Hughes are a lot better.

We don’t have depth in the front court.
We also have to hope Sidibe is healthy to get some post scoring and hope the guards actually pass it to Sidibe in the post.

Apples to Oranges.

Dolezaj gets a sprained ankle and is out 2 weeks. What depth do we have?

Stealing a few minutes in a game or two doesn’t mean we have depth.

The only position we have depth now is guard.
We had 3 guards last year and then were down to 2.
Now we have 4 and a 5th likely RSing.
More backpedaling. I love it.

Last season proved that JB can adapt. There's a difference between actually not having depth and not having enough depth to satisfy you.

Has anyone actually said that they believe we will have less depth next year than we did for the majority of this year? I would imagine that everyone has to be in agreement on that point. It would be impossible to be worse off then having 5 healthy guys and 2 banged up guys. Team depth will be improved and there are guys that can fill in at other spots but I just see 2 natural forwards on the roster as currently constructed and I don't see how you or anyone else can argue otherwise.
It's accurate to state we only have two natural forwards. It's inaccurate to state we only have two forwards.

I think we can all take a step back and agree that while there's depth, it's not ideal. There's an entire offseason ahead of us. Let's see where the roster stands in September.

More backpedaling. I love it.

Last season proved that JB can adapt. There's a difference between actually not having depth and not having enough depth to satisfy you.
Your funny. I know your trolling on this stuff it’s why I ignore stuff from you I don’t care about. On this issue you are just wrong but you have a right to think whatever you want.

Your funny. I know your trolling on this stuff it’s why I ignore stuff from you I don’t care about. On this issue you are just wrong but you have a right to think whatever you want.
I'm not trolling, I'm disagreeing with you.

If I was wrong, you wouldn't have backpedaled from "we only have two forwards" to "we only have two natural forwards." If I was wrong, you wouldn't have backpedaled from "we don't have depth at forward" to "we won't have depth at forward if Dolezaj gets hurt."

I'm not trolling, I'm disagreeing with you.

If I was wrong, you wouldn't have backpedaled from "we only have two forwards" to "we only have two natural forwards." If I was wrong, you wouldn't have backpedaled from "we don't have depth at forward" to "we won't have depth at forward if Dolezaj gets hurt."
You aren’t changing my opinion and I am not going to change yours.

We have 2 extra guards next year.
That is more depth but we are losing our best player and hoping 2 guys replace him and the other guys all take leaps.

We aren’t going to be much better than we were this year unless the freshman or Hughes are a lot better.

We don’t have depth in the front court.
We also have to hope Sidibe is healthy to get some post scoring and hope the guards actually pass it to Sidibe in the post.

The returning players don’t have to take leaps. They need to be better which is what I said. I also acknowledged that I assume Sid will be healthy. We need one more guy in the front court but Hughes is depth there and he can play the 3. It’s not like we need a PG to play PF.

We’ll be deeper next year and we’ll be better next year. But that doesn’t mean we automatically go further than this years team. Stuff happens in the tourney.

I hope better means above 6th to 10th place finish in the conference like we have lived the past 4 years. If it isn't according to Day2 and Bees we will have underachieved.

The returning players don’t have to take leaps. They need to be better which is what I said. I also acknowledged that I assume Sid will be healthy. We need one more guy in the front court but Hughes is depth there and he can play the 3. It’s not like we need a PG to play PF.

We’ll be deeper next year and we’ll be better next year. But that doesn’t mean we automatically go further than this years team. Stuff happens in the tourney.
I agree. With just normal improvement, we will be a better team next year. Both of our centers are back. It's sometimes hard to notice while it is happening but PC was better at the end of the season than he was at the start. If Sid can get healthy, I think he can really help us. Both of our forwards, assuming they are here, Marek and Ob, will be better next year and in some cases, much better players. We will have better depth at the guard position, lol, how could we not? Losing Bazley is a blow. It knocks us off the pre season elite status that I thought we should have. But we can still be a very good team.

I hope better means above 6th to 10th place finish in the conference like we have lived the past 4 years. If it isn't according to Day2 and Bees we will have underachieved.
it does.