More reminiscing...Doug Logan | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

More reminiscing...Doug Logan

There are two Doug Logan's. The public persona which includes anything he does within the public sphere (interacting with fans, announcing, hosting charity events) and then there's the real Doug Logan. I worked with him in sports when he still was on channel 9. Let's just say that his behind the scenes persona was about as polar opposite as you could get from his public one. He also asked for things SU couldn't possibly ever deliver in contract negotiations. I was present for the tantrums he threw about said negotiations in the channel 9 sports area.

Yep. I witnessed the same.

Similar to this? ;):)

Similar to this? ;):)

Nah, that's normal. Every anchor will have diva moments and it makes sense. It's their face on the screen, their credibility at stake if they look like a buffoon. As a producer, that wouldn't have even phased me. I would have told Boomer we get it, we'll do better next time.

Logan was a whole other level. Just a person who dropped work on everyone else, never shared in success (even when it was others who were doing the major work) and just a thoroughly odd dude with a really off-putting personality. It's hard to explain if you didn't work with him.

Now Rod Wood on the other hand... ;)

When I was 12 years old, we were sitting right next to the right basket tunnel for that Cuse/UConn win in 1994. Logan was in a hurry to get to the broadcast table, but I asked him to autograph my program, and he stopped everything he was doing and asked me my name and wrote “to a future Orangeman!”

I only ended up being an average college intramural player but I still really appreciated it.

Any idea what it might be worth compared to Danny Schayes’ autograph? ;)

Nah, that's normal. Every anchor will have diva moments and it makes sense. It's their face on the screen, their credibility at stake if they look like a buffoon. As a producer, that wouldn't have even phased me. I would have told Boomer we get it, we'll do better next time.

Logan was a whole other level. Just a person who dropped work on everyone else, never shared in success (even when it was others who were doing the major work) and just a thoroughly odd dude with a really off-putting personality. It's hard to explain if you didn't work with him.

Rod Wood should’ve been the name used for Will Ferrell’s title character in Anchorman.

If my swiss cheese memory serves me correct, it was Ridlon screaming yes, yes, yes. I am certain there was an article in the Syracuse paper sometime after the game ( I dont remember how long), that discussed the reactions of the announcers at the game. I think the article praised Logan for keeping his cool in that moment.

If my swiss cheese memory serves me correct, it was Ridlon screaming yes, yes, yes. I am certain there was an article in the Syracuse paper sometime after the game ( I dont remember how long), that discussed the reactions of the announcers at the game. I think the article praised Logan for keeping his cool in that moment.

Yes, it is Jim Ridlon's animated voice - a story Doug Logan tells very well.

Dave Eichorn and him would get along real well then.

After hearing Joel Mariness for years Doug wasn't in the same area code of Broadcasters.

After hearing Joel Mariness for years Doug wasn't in the same area code of Broadcasters.
Joel Mariness was the first Voice of the Orange I heard. I told my dad, that I wanted to be the Voice of the Orange one day...he still asks me why I never went for broadcasting in college...

Bill O'Donnell was one of the great broadcasters ever, hugely admired within his profession. he was the Voice of the Orange during most of the glory eras of the Schwartzwalder Era. He also was the nightly sports anchor for Channel 3 in Syracuse. I remember his sign-off: "Good Night, Sport!" He went on to join Chuck Thompson in the Baltimore Orioles radio booth for their glory years from 1966-1982, when he died of cancer and was much mourned in the sports world. I was always proud that he was a Syracuse guy and had created such a national reputation.

Joel Mareiness was much less smooth, even kind of amateurish but a classic homer and very beloved, especially for his color phrases, like "Up the invisible ladder". I remember being angry that Crouthamel got rid of him just as the Carrier Dome was opening. Joel carried us through a lot of hard years in football and the formative years of a basketball powerhouse.

i resented Doug Logan at first because he wasn't Joel Mareiness but came to recognize that Doug was actually a better professional broadcaster. I was surprised he didn't go national as O'Donnell had done. he was the VOTO through the glory years of Jim Boeheim's basketball program and the rise of the McPherson/Pasqualoni Era in football. i loved watching "Coaches corner every Sunday night, with Doug and the coach going over the games. i wish we had a show like that now. I was just as angry when he lost his job as I ahd been when Joel lost his.

Dave Pasch was good but didn't stay long enough to establish himself. I don't remember being impressed with him at the time and was surprised he was able to go national but I now think he does a good job.

Mark Johnson was a "bungy" announcer who jumped in here and jumper right back out again. He never sunk any roots here or established any rapport with the fans. he had a good announcer voice but a programed delivery that was more suited for narration than reaction to live events. I've always been sad that our national championship wasn't announced by a long-term VOTO who had paid his dues through good times and bad. I especially felt for Doug Logan, who had wanted to say "And Syracuse WINS the National Championship!" in 1987 and never got the chance to do so. I'm sure he watched that game and wished he could have announced Hakim Warrick's block of a shot from about the same spot in relation to the basket as Keith Smart's had been.

Johnson went west and was replaced by Matt Park, a nice guy with a professional demeanor and a good sense of humor who bleeds Orange and had suffered through many on the field disappointments and revelled in some great moments as well with the appropriate emotions. I hope he gets to announce a national championship someday.

That Rod Wood video is a guaranteed pick me up on your darkest day. It's gold, Jerry!

Ever work with Lisa Spitz? Asking for a friend.

Johnson went west and was replaced by Matt Park, a nice guy with a professional demeanor and a good sense of humor who bleeds Orange and had suffered through many on the field disappointments and revelled in some great moments as well with the appropriate emotions. I hope he gets to announce a national championship someday.

and one big off the field disappointment

I knew Rod Wood was my kinda guy when me and a group of 15 of us during one of my bachelor party stops at the old Romans Tavern we saw him there dancing with two cigarettes hanging out of his nose. And then he saw my friends douse me in beer and wasn't sure it was all in fun so came over and asks if I was ok and we laughed about it (at least I think it was him, coulda been Charlie Roman...I was shitefaced myself ya know!). Oh Fairfaxcuse wanna chime in?

That Rod Wood video is a guaranteed pick me up on your darkest day. It's gold, Jerry!

Is this on the internet somewhere?

I have a test for judging news anchors. After the broadcast was over i wonder if the anchor person could pass a test on what they've just said in the preceding half hour. I've always thought that Rod Wood would probably have a hard time with it..

I have a test for judging news anchors. After the broadcast was over i wonder if the anchor person could pass a test on what they've just said in the preceding half hour. I've always thought that Rod Wood would probably have a hard time with it..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom