Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

Morgan is raising the floor of our QB play

I give him a solid B. He needs to assert himself and make things happen. Don't get into the over thinking mode, go out and play football.
Yes somewhat like Eric Dungey did as a freshman he let his athletic ability and his toughness bail him out from making a bad decision until he became more experienced and a better passer but ( DO NOT ) be as reckless with his body as Dungey was. I got the feeling yesterday that Morgan wanted to take off and run on a couple of plays rather then risk a sack or a pick but he didn't, of course we do not need him to get injured running the ball , I also give him a solid (B ) for his performance yesterday, I would love to see this young man start and finish the next 3 games and be a major factor in next year's QB competition.

He didn't have a pick six right? That alone makes his play more valuable.
He had one where he threw a long pass to Taj into triple coverage. But otherwise, I thought he made a lot of good decisions.

Upon rewatch I thought Morgan played really well. I think some of the criticism is nuts.

First thing is a I love his cerebral, calm presence.

if his first option isn’t there he looks around. Has good feel in the pocket. Keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling.

most of his passes were right on the money. One bad slant pass but otherwise was accurate. Has good zip and arm strength.

executed a beautiful screen pass to Tucker. That should be a given but it’s usually a disaster for our QBs.
This is a solid assessment, and you hit on something really important - he made the simple plays look easy, which for us for a long time now, has been a bit of an adventure. The little pass to Hackett (short of the 1st down but it was a good play and call and as money pointed out, the kind of simple play it helps to see more of), the swing passes as you mentioned, the check downs late to Lutz... for some reason he was able to make those plays and complete them at a much higher percentage than we've seen.

He had one where he threw a long pass to Taj into triple coverage. But otherwise, I thought he made a lot of good decisions.
He didn't really have much of a choice. We only sent two guys out on patterns along the sidelines. Everything was in to protect. It was a worst case scenario, BC dropped everyone, and we kept everyone in.

This is a solid assessment, and you hit on something really important - he made the simple plays look easy, which for us for a long time now, has been a bit of an adventure. The little pass to Hackett (short of the 1st down but it was a good play and call and as money pointed out, the kind of simple play it helps to see more of), the swing passes as you mentioned, the check downs late to Lutz... for some reason he was able to make those plays and complete them at a much higher percentage than we've seen.

He showed some nice touch on those passes. Also there is something to throwing a catchable ball on the under 15 yard throws. It helps the WRs out. You don't want it to float out there softly and turn into an INT but you also don't want a fastball or for it to get onto the WR too quickly.

He didn't really have much of a choice. We only sent two guys out on patterns along the sidelines. Everything was in to protect. It was a worst case scenario, BC dropped everyone, and we kept everyone in.

He probably should have throw it out of bounds. The other deep nearly INT that was shockingly not O PI was poor as well.

I just wish we were more focused on the ceiling than the floor. But we are where we are and the ceiling is not much of a concern right now.

I just wish we were more focused on the ceiling than the floor. But we are where we are and the ceiling is not much of a concern right now.
I think we are focused on the ceiling. It's just yesterday's game didn't tell us as much about that.

The triple coverage INT. Taj breaks his route off to the inside at the sticks (44 yard line) and Morgan throws the ball 6/7 yards deeper (to the 38) and toward the sideline; it's as if Taj is supposed to be running a go route. The go route is a typical 3rd and long play we run with DeVito and Culpepper and I can't say I've seen a 3rd and 16+ pass play where Taj curls at the yard to make. We also only had 2 guys out in the pattern and were in max protect, AND BC rushed 3 dropping everything else into a zone. So there were no other options.

If I'm a betting man Taj ran the wrong route and was supposed to be a go. Ball would've been a bit underthrown I think...but nevertheless he would've been in a better position to make a play.

Morgan's 28 yard scramble at the end was also a touchdown. The officiating is just horrible. He showed me good wheels on that play. This kid is a pocket passer but he can run.

Last edited:
Well, I'm not sure what he's said to all these QB recruits, but it's hard to believe we have 2 empty gap years between our 4th year starting QB (prior to his injury) and the freshmen back-ups.

If he told some of those prospects that they have to come in and wait 2 or 3 years to get their chance, well, that's not how you recruit.

If you are not telling every kid that every position is an open competition all the time, then you are not a top coach. The best teams have lots of competition within the squad. That keeps everybody improving, everyone on their toes, trying to get better.

Yep. This is the part I think is bunk. I’d bet a lot of money he told every QB recruit that they’d compete for the job because that’s exactly how he explains it and how every player and coach and fan expects it to go.

It’s more likely that players see him throw and think “I’m not sure I can beat him out” and “that OL looks rough” in some combination that made it hard to recruit.(And we did add players at the position the last two classes)

Upon rewatch I thought Morgan played really well. I think some of the criticism is nuts.

First thing is a I love his cerebral, calm presence.

if his first option isn’t there he looks around. Has good feel in the pocket. Keeps his eyes downfield when he’s scrambling.

most of his passes were right on the money. One bad slant pass but otherwise was accurate. Has good zip and arm strength.

executed a beautiful screen pass to Tucker. That should be a given but it’s usually a disaster for our QBs.

Lots to work with here. I think he has the potential to be way better than RJ or Perry, Mason, Downing and I see shades of Marvin. I think he can be better.

By the way, that should have been unnecessary roughness when he got hard pushed into the bench on the sideline. Was clearly giving himself up to the boundary. Refs are supposed to protect QBs.

Agree 100% -- he showed a great "feel" out there, both in terms of where the pass rush was, but also making throws on the run with touch / poise. It was a welcome change.

For a true frosh, pretty impressive outing. Not perfect, not mistake free, but nonetheless still impressive.

Last edited:
Agree 100% -- he showed a great "feel" out there, both in terms of where the pass rush was, but also making throws on the run.

For a true frosh, pretty impressive outing. Not perfect, not mistake free, but nonetheless still impressive.

Even the TD throw. The terrible snap almost blows up the play, he picks it off the carpet and under duress rolling to his right, stops, plants and throws a perfect pass back to Hackett. It wasn't an easy throw, perfectly laid in there on the backline and Hackett was covered. Kid displays great touch on his passes and zip when he needs it.

Another play on that last drive was around the 25 yard line. BC blitzed and he stays in the pocket and delivers a 10/15 yard strike to Queeley. Queeley dropped it but he should've caught the ball, it was right in his hands. We got a defensive holding call on the play so the drop didn't matter, but I was impressed with that sequence from him.

BC really dialed up the pressure on Morgan in the 2nd half to. They sent the house, they zone blitzed, delay blitzed the MLB, showed pressure and pulled off into zone. Morgan I thought handled it quite well. Gilbert also called a good game to help him out.

2 weeks to practice with the 1's and get things settled out and guys healed up...I'm somewhat optimistic about the last few games.

I'm trying not to get too hyped up about Morgan but I saw more good things last game. I still hope TD comes back next year and is the starter but Morgan can provide good depth/starter ability, and the staff can redshirt Lamson

I'm trying not to get too hyped up about Morgan but I saw more good things last game. I still hope TD comes back next year and is the starter but Morgan can provide good depth/starter ability, and the staff can redshirt Lamson

Ditto.

Competition is only good for the QB room, and tends to elevate the level of play. But TD will be on a shorter leash if this is what Morgan is capable of. Which again is a good thing.

He has great pocket awareness which you cant teach, excellent vision, touch on his throws and poise beyond his years. Kid is total chill. Love his upside.

Even the TD throw. The terrible snap almost blows up the play, he picks it off the carpet and under duress rolling to his right, stops, plants and throws a perfect pass back to Hackett. It wasn't an easy throw, perfectly laid in there on the backline and Hackett was covered. Kid displays great touch on his passes and zip when he needs it.

Another play on that last drive was around the 25 yard line. BC blitzed and he stays in the pocket and delivers a 10/15 yard strike to Queeley. Queeley dropped it but he should've caught the ball, it was right in his hands. We got a defensive holding call on the play so the drop didn't matter, but I was impressed with that sequence from him.

BC really dialed up the pressure on Morgan in the 2nd half to. They sent the house, they zone blitzed, delay blitzed the MLB, showed pressure and pulled off into zone. Morgan I thought handled it quite well. Gilbert also called a good game to help him out.

2 weeks to practice with the 1's and get things settled out and guys healed up...I'm somewhat optimistic about the last few games.

Very clearly more ability to avoid the rush and still complete a pass than we've seen since Dungey.

As for the running, he looks like someone who has a pretty good gear once he hits it, but not a lot of quickness.

I know I can't be the only one thinking it but I will take the bullet and say it. Even if TD is able to come back around NC State, I'd still start Morgan. Already know what we have with TD, time to see what we have with JM and continue to let him get real live reps in the ACC.

I know I can't be the only one thinking it but I will take the bullet and say it. Even if TD is able to come back around NC State, I'd still start Morgan. Already know what we have with TD, time to see what we have with JM and continue to let him get real live reps in the ACC.
Best case scenario imo is that DeVito gets healthy, it remains a secret, and against Notre Dame we get to have a "Bah Gawd that's Tommy DeVito's music!" scenario and he makes a surprise appearance against Notre Dame, takes them out in South Bend, keeps them out of the playoff, and we head into next season reinvigorated and with crazy momentum.

Very clearly more ability to avoid the rush and still complete a pass than we've seen since Dungey.

As for the running, he looks like someone who has a pretty good gear once he hits it, but not a lot of quickness.
Probably right. He looked slow when caught from behind by a DL but then when he got it in gear he looked fine going down the sideline. Head scratcher but your analysis probably explains it.

Nope. You start TD and give Morgan meaningful reps during the game. Some of us learned from Arob, some of you did not. This isn't an OL you throw a true frosh behind every snap, it will break him eventually

Nope. You start TD and give Morgan meaningful reps during the game. Some of us learned from Arob, some of you did not. This isn't an OL you throw a true frosh behind every snap, it will break him eventually
I think it depends on the qb.

I think it depends on the qb.
We are out of weapons at RB, what we have at WR is debatable and what we have at OL is non-functional. You throw a true frosh QB not named Trevor Lawrence in there and he will get Arob'ed.

Probably right. He looked slow when caught from behind by a DL but then when he got it in gear he looked fine going down the sideline. Head scratcher but your analysis probably explains it.

I don't know what you call it, but that play I believe was supposed to be one where the QB looks like he's going to run it (down the line) but instead throws that quick bubble screen. Dungey could really execute the play I'm thinking of. BC DB's blew it up on the WRs and that delay/hesitation on Morgan's part because he couldn't throw it made it look more like the DL easily chased him down. I think if it was a straight run Morgan would not have been caught behind the LOS. I watched that play a handful of times and I'm certain he was supposed to throw it out to the WR, who were lined up in a stack.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom